Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Switching sides (Read 4863 times)
Georgewhufc
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Switching sides
Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:09pm

So I've been getting CH for about 3 weeks now, all on my left side, and my latest one was on the right..... Is this normal?! This is my first one on the right hand side...

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Switching sides
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 10:10am

Not a common situation but I don't recall that the medical literatreature says it's a concern.

3-weeks: did you or a doc make the Dx? (There are a multitude of disorders which mimic Cluster so a good Dx is important.)

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 11:08am

Hi George
Normally CH stays one sided, but switching sides is definately not unheard of.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 1:44pm

I've read before of the  Smiley switching sides, but normally you are either a lefty or a righty.

Hoppy

IP Logged

Georgewhufc
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 1:48pm

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Diagnosed properly by a neurologist Bob, no doubt on this one at the mo! However I haven't seen him since the side switch, so haven't told him about this yet.

I did a little research and saw that it wasn't unheard of too, so feel a little better. It wasn't as intense on the right and my shadows have been on the left today, so maybe just a anomaly.

Cheers
George

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 3:16pm

I get most of the pain on the right, but I get some on the other side at the same time. It doesn't happen with every HA, but frequently...

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 9:00pm

My husband had pain only on the right side for four years. Then two years in remission. Now it seems to be back...but on the left side now. It's still ramping up - not full blown yet.

Smiley wife of 48 year old husband who suffers from episodic CH ~ Batch's Anti-Inflammatory Regimen works!

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 9:27pm

I always hated the switch. Worst was finishing a leftie cycle one day and starting a rightie the next. It can also be confused a lot by getting to enjoy more than just the one headache syndrome.

Best advice, as always, is to discuss it with chosen doctor if you're worried about it.

Let us know how you get on with it,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 5:00pm

Most people have their CH just on one side, but some have it switch either between cycles or even between CHs. When my CHs first started I had a few left sided ones before they settled down and took up residence on the right side.

Some people have had a nerve block done on one side which seemed to result in CH changing sides.

Similarly most people have them either around the eye or the temple, but again changes between are possible.

Nobody seems to know why these changes happen and it is considered to be just something that can happen with CH without any deeper implication. However as Brian suggested, if it concerns you then do discuss it with your doctor.

IP Logged

Georgewhufc
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 1:55pm

Thanks guys. Both my neurologist and myself are certain that I am in my first ever cluster cycle. For the first 3 weeks it was daily attack behind left eye with usual cluster symptoms.

My last two 'attacks'  however have been more like strong-ish shadows and have been on both sides of my head.

Last night I had my usual eye watering and nose blocking on the left side, and then came shortly after a strong 'ache' across head and on right side....

Could this be a sign my cycle could be ending?! Looking for any positives as this latest development has left me a little confused!!!

Or could it be the fact I've been take zolmitriptan nasal spray daily throughout my cycle that my clusters have stopped only to be replaced by rebounds?!

I have my oxygen coming tomorrow so will start to leave the Triptans alone and focus on oxygen to see if any improvement. I'm also being prescribed verapamil...

Thanks all
George
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2016 at 2:19pm by Georgewhufc »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 9:26pm

Hi George

Hard to know if it is your cycle ending or not until it ends. That then may become the normal end of cycle routine for you, but as with many things CH related, things can change.

For the zolmitriptan theory, it is possible, but hard to tell the difference between a "rebound" CH and a "normal" CH, so I'd not worry too much about it.

IP Logged

KipBurbank
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Melbourne|USA||0|0|FL,Flori
Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 7:30pm

For me (40 years of CH) switching sides can mean starting or stopping a cycle.  Mine are 90% left, a right side is a big concern because it's unusual.    Left sides are the worst.    I am 17 days into my most recent cycle, off for almost 2 years.    Doing 60 mg Pred a day for about a week, started taper today.  Hope to be "out" in another 10 days.    I don't know how I survived this while I was working everyday.   

Kip

Kip+Burbank  
IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 5:29am

Hello George. For the shadow headaches have you tried an energy drink like Red Bull, Monster or 5 Hour. For me, an 5 Hour Energy would kill it in about 5 to 7 minutes.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2016 at 5:33am by BobG »  

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Georgewhufc
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 1:41pm

Hey Bob

I've tried Red Bull, not shaking the shadows unfortunately.

My cycle is slowing since I've started my verapamil , I haven't had a full blown attack for days now, I get shadows around the same time every day and have been hitting the o2 to shake these.

Is a 5 hour drink any different caffeine/taurine wise  to red bull?

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 2:17pm

I've never compared the two label by label. I have always used 5 Hour Energy (actually the Costco store brand. Same stuff but cheaper by the case) the 5 hour is just under 2 oz. you can take it in one swallow. Have some water to wash it down, it tastes like skunk piss. The Monter or Red Bull are sized larger and I can't gulp the whole can at once.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

RRChocolate
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 8:41pm

I am a righty, but several times a year I get a shadow on my left side. 
It had no implications for anything...
I always thought of it as my right eye getting bored.  Wink

IP Logged

ClosetCHer
CH.com Junior

United States
Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 1:53pm

My CHs (episodic, spring and fall for about 6 weeks, chronic once for 14 months) are constantly switching sides. They typically take place on my right side and those are somewhat manageable. The ones on the left are 99% Kip 10s. When my CHs get really nasty, they will switch sides during a headache, which has happened a few times over the past week. This typically indicates I'm nearing the end of my cycle. In my experience those are the worst as once the CH has switched sides, it ramps back up (if I'm unable to abort). Not cool.

IP Logged

theydontunderstand
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 2:27pm

Mine have switched sides many times, once even during a headache, that was a doozy.

IP Logged

jendi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Oct 2nd, 2016 at 9:09pm

My attacks are generally left side--every so often I get a "hopper" which can be really hard hitters.  Today I had a hopper and it switched back and it truly was a doozy!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!