Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sumatriptan nasal spray makes HA worse? (Read 1898 times)
bambalam
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Los Angeles, CA
sumatriptan nasal spray makes HA worse?
Jul 31st, 2016 at 10:32am

I am about 5 weeks in to a cycle which I have been managing pretty well with a combo of O2 and five hour energy. As long as I get on the oxygen at the beginning of the headache I can knock it out in about 20 minutes without it getting too painful.
I am traveling now for the next two weeks so am without oxygen.... I got my doctor to give me a prescription for sumatriptan nasal spray which I thought would really help, but it seems to ramp the headaches up to about an 8 intensity immediately and they still last close to an hour.... Has any one else had this with the nasal spray?

IP Logged

Jackie A
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: sumatriptan nasal spray makes HA worse?
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 11:20am

I haven't used the nasal spray. I did use the sumatriptan auto injection. It can only be used twice in one day but it killed my headache almost immediately. You may want to try it since you won't have access to oxygen for two weeks. Just a suggestion.  Regards, Jackie

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 12:54pm

Hi bam....welcome...sorry you have to be here....

I have used Zomig nasal spray very successfully....about 5 min relief time...has a longer
lasting effect too...you might want to try vs suma.....

Re O2 and travel...if you are staying at a place(s) vs constant travel most O2 companies (I use
Lincare) have  delivery program in lots of places. You preorder and they deliver to your hotel
or you can pick up at office. Be sure to bring your own mask...carry on so it doesn't get lost.
I've never had problem with screening once "what is this" is explained...

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

bambalam
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 7:03pm

thanks for the replies. I will see if I can give Zomig a try and maybe get some of the sumatriptan auto injects as well. My cycles usually only last about 5 weeks so I am really hoping I am just about out of the woods. As we all know with clusters, though, things can change at any time....

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 12:21pm

Very important that you use it at the first sign of an attack. Delaying to see if "this is the real thing" reduces the effectiveness.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

RRavik
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Gresham Oregon
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 5:27pm

I am a new Sumatriptan user. I wish I could use it more often because it works so well. I have 2-4 episodes a day but I am told not to use the spray more than 2 times a week. That doesn't fit into my circumstances but I use it as much as I am allowed. It's said to cause more CHs if abused.
Hang In There

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!