Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member and exercise (Read 1505 times)
tdot
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New member and exercise
Aug 13th, 2016 at 11:56am

Hi - This is my first post. I live in Dubai and have been suffering CH for the last two years. My neurologist and GP have been trying to help and I've been on several meds but they just don't go away. I have cut out gluten from my diet and they have calmed down but I have now noticed that when I exercise (play football or do circuit training) after I am done I am guaranteed an episode that lasts for like 30 mins. Anyone else experience this or can give some advice? Many thanks to all.

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Re: New member and exercise
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 12:51pm

tdot wrote on Aug 13th, 2016 at 11:56am:
Hi - This is my first post. I live in Dubai and have been suffering CH for the last two years. My neurologist and GP have been trying to help and I've been on several meds but they just don't go away. I have cut out gluten from my diet and they have calmed down but I have now noticed that when I exercise (play football or do circuit training) after I am done I am guaranteed an episode that lasts for like 30 mins. Anyone else experience this or can give some advice? Many thanks to all.

Only after exercise?

Potter

IP Logged

tdot
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 1:29pm

No - not only after exercise - I get it the regular, at the same time in the evenings but since I have cut out gluten they have calmed down a lot. Now I noticed when I do sports, guaranteed I will get it when I stop about 15 mins after......

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 1:44pm

Have you been diagnosed with ch?

Potter

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 1:45pm

Medical literature recognizes that heating the body is a trigger for some people, setting off an attack.

Your options are: give up these heating activities and continue to work with your docs to find a preventive med which gives you some protection.
------
Lancet. 1999 Sep 18;354(9183):1001-2.
Comment in:
Lancet. 2000 Jan 8;355(9198):147.

A new cluster headache precipitant: increased body heat.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Exercise, a hot bath, or elevated environmental temperature provoked cluster headaches, within 1 h, in 75 out of 200 patients. This new observation accords with recognised precipitants--alcohol, histamine, and gyceryl trinitrate--perhaps via generalised vasodilatation or hypothalamic activation.

Publication Types:
Letter

PMID: 10501368 [PubMed]
---------------------------

Do your doctors have experience treating clusters/headaches, in general? Too often, limitations in training/experience can be a barrier. Don' be shy in asking them directly.

If yoiu are willing to experiment, the two of you could work on a series of prevention meds, varying doses, to try and find one which would give you some protection.

Print the article, below, and give to your docs--just as a stimulation to explore some options.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

tdot
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 5:05pm

@Potter - yes; my Nuero said it's classic CH last year because I would get them at the same time at night and the symptoms were of CH. I am unsure how the reduced Gluten has helped but its been two weeks and my episodes have drastically reduced.

@Bob, thanks for the great advice. This site is GREAT and helpful. I'll be speaking to my Dr again.....

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 8:51pm

Hi tdot,
i used to get attacks after exercise too. also after sauna after exercise.
That was before I became pain free thanks to Batch's D3 regimen, like many of us here.
You can read about it in the thread "123 days pain free and i think i know why"
If you have any questions about it, just ask.
I am now training for my first triathlon, i swim or cycle or run every day + go to the gym 4 to 5 times a week followed by some time in the steam room. No CH  Smiley Smiley Smiley
All the best

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!