Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SPG Block???? (Read 2068 times)
Molly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

SPG Block????
Aug 22nd, 2016 at 1:51pm

Hi, does anyone have experience with SPG blocks? My husband has done 2 Occipital nerve blocks with no relief and now they are suggesting SPG block.  He is also on Prednisone, Varapamil, Imitrex shots, Lidocaine, etc.....  and not getting relief. He had been HA free for 4.5 years before this episode.

IP Logged

crouchingjedi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: SPG Block????
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 9:51am

I know this post is nearly a year old, but I'm curious about this as well. I just had an SPG block yesterday. Had a brutal night last night with 4 CHs, but I had 20-30% pain relief. It was as if the epicenter of the headache was numb but everything radiating still was painful. Life better with the block than without, but O2 still better at this point. Anyone else have experience with SPG blocks?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: SPG Block????
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:00pm

No personal experience, but from reports from other people I've seen here:
  • It can work, but the duration can be from a few days to multiple months or more, with no obvious reason for the difference in duration
  • It works, but the CHs start on the other side of the head, e.g. moving from the right eye area to the left eye area

So by all means do try it, but it can have mixed results.

People have also had nerves cut permanently, which can work (unless it then switches sides), but with the side effect of that nerve being permanently broken (unlike a block which wears off). So if this is suggested, do be cautious.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!