Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Howdy and Hello Fall Equinox (Read 1629 times)
tymish
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Howdy and Hello Fall Equinox
Sep 26th, 2016 at 2:46pm

First time here. I'm fairly lucky, this is only my cyclical 4th bout at 48 though I think I can now understand some of the other headaches I never understood. Went to the beach on vacation just last week and suddenly one night at 3AM the drill in my head woke me up. First thought the usual - sinuses, new medications, dehydration, too much sun. Then the next night 3 AM, then again the next day late afternoon, then the next night -- just looked at the calender and realized it started dead on with the fall equinox. Previous bouts I'm pretty sure were in the fall but now I'll keep track.

When I was a kid I used to get really bad migraines, nausea, sit in dead dark cold room. Triggered by odd things like smells, stress or waiting too long to eat.

These started in my late 30's but not every year. Done the ER thing twice. CT scans, Imitrex and shrugging shoulders.

So there I was on vacation enjoying about half the day. I imagine the evening cocktails didn't help.

Also had low Vitamin D blood test so I was out in the sun and salt air and then BAM!

Anyway happy to find this board and really feel for you folks with the chronic type. Don't know how you hold on and big kudos and hugs for sticking through it!

Little thing that sometimes helps me. Hot shower right on left eyeball with massage of temples, cranium and neck with pressure points. 20% success rate but often temporary,

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2016 at 2:47pm by tymish »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Howdy and Hello Fall Equinox
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 3:58pm

Hey Tymish,

Welcome to CH.com... Sorry you had to join us... but you've come to the right place.  We know what you're going through and the good news is it doesn't need to be that way.  Lots of CHers with many years experience with this disorder will be posting to this thread to help you mange the CH beast.  Ask questions when they come up and you'll get answers...

A low vitamin D3 status is axiomatic for CHers with active bouts of CH.  25(OH)D lab test data from the on gong online survey of CHers taking the anti-inflammatory regimen to prevent their CH resulted in the following graphic.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

As you can see, 95% of the lab test for 25(OH)D serum concentration before starting the anti-inflammatory regimen all came back ≤ 40 ng/mL.  Moreover, the lab tests for 25(OH)D taken after a favorable response to the anti-inflammatory regimen indicated most CHers respond favorable at 25(OH)D serum concentrations between 60 and 110 ng/mL.

Check your PM InBox for messages... You'll find it under the date in the upper left corner of this screen.  Click on the bold words
1 new message

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2016 at 4:07pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 3:59pm

Hello Tymish,

Glad you found us and a big welcome.

Hot shower/cold shower is a well tried treatment.

So is the following, which has been life changing for 80% of those of us using it:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Read part 2 and come back with as many questions as you need.

Best,  Peter.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2016 at 3:59pm by Peter510 »  

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 4:01pm

Apologies Batch,

Didn't mean to overlap then.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 4:21pm

Peter,

No worries... the more the merrier...  Repetition reinforces learning...

Take care my friend and cheers,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tymish
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 5:05pm

Hey wow, thanks for all the great info. It's all really interesting. I never had a low (28 NG/ML) D25 test before. So when I found this site and the low D3 info it kinda went bing in my head (without any pain that is). What's also interesting is that calcium channel blockers are prescribed for CH too. Since D3, D25 are part of the body's calcium regulatory system I have to wonder.

Happened to be a year I got very little sun. My doc also just prescribed Norvasc for high blood pressure. It's a calcium channel blocker like Verapamil and is sometimes prescribed for CH too. I didn't start it yet because I wanted to be home from vacation before starting a new drug. So I'll start the D3 regimen and the Norvasc. Might make it harder to tell what is working but need to keep BP down anyway. Thing is my previous stints of CH rarely lasted more than 10 days though occasionally I would get an odd one off out of the blue with a dull day ache.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2016 at 5:08pm by tymish »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!