Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oral Imitrex (Read 2808 times)
sj904fighter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Santa Cruz Mountains in CA
Oral Imitrex
Oct 11th, 2016 at 5:01pm

I see that Oral Imitrex isn't very effective with CH due to the slow uptake. Has anyone had success "Pre-Medicating" (ie taking it right before bed)?  That way it's in your system doing its thing by the time the Beast stops by.  Just curious.  The auto Injectors are a godsend, but only getting 2 per month kinda sucks.  The Nasal works for me IF I catch it AS SOON as it starts.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Oral Imitrex
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 5:25pm

All medication should be discussed with your doctor, of course, but certainly a few people have tried it and some with good results.

I do it exactly that way myself in regard to another matter and find it very effective.

Just remember that a pill before bed means you can't then take a shot if a big one does break through.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

sj904fighter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Santa Cruz Mountains in CA
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 5:42pm

Yeh, I figured that I would need to forgo the shot if I took the pill.  Thinking of options for when I don't have the injectors available.

Thanks.  I gotta say, in the 25 years that I've suffered from this, this has been the most informative, and easiest cycle yet.  Thanks to all of you.

Looking forward to having a beer...or two....or three....... when this cycle finishes.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 8:14am

Trex tabs are ok if you have O2 to keep the attack at bay while the tab goes to work.  Also, like the jabs, get the largest mg tab and break them in half to make them go farther.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 5:31pm

I take one at bed time and i do find it helps.  I usually get hit about an hour after getting to sleep but taking the tablet delays it by 3 or 4 hours sometimes.  It does help to get a little sleep.

Have you tried splitting the injections ( if you have the right sort).  There is a tab on the left of your screen called imitrex tip.  I don't have touble getting the injections but I do this all the time because it's much more gentle.  You could get 4 or maybe even 6 doses out of two.

IP Logged

G. M. P.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 8:13am

Has anyone tried oxygen before bed to see if that has the same effect as imitrex?  I doubt it would work but anything that doesn't kill ya is worth a try, especially if it involves more sleep and less drugs. I have been taking 50 mg imitrex and oxygen at the first sign of headache and that works out to a pill every 12 hrs. Pills seem to keep me pain free much longer than nasal spray....10 minutes of O2,set alarm for 4 hrs. Then more O2  then sleep 4 more???

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 3:52pm

Imitrex pills are pretty much worthless to take for CH's, injections are best, try the imitrex tip/trick dividing doses w/ qtip, personally I get vials and preload into insulin syringes.

Imirex nasal sprays are also pretty effective, but not as effective as injections.

Imitrex pills- the pills are migraine helpful, CH's vs Migraines is Night vs Day...take before bed?, o2 before bed?? No! No! Plenty of discussion and trial and error studies on this site over the past dozen years, simply a waste of med and o2 and it's not good on body to take meds without need.

Recommend Melatonin before bed though. Search this website archives. Good luck. Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 9:17pm

50mg Imitrex/Imigran pills worked well for me if caught in time, swallowed down with a strong hot cup of coffee or a Pepsi Cola if out and about. 5-15mg of Melatonin taken 2hrs before going too bed has a good record of keeping the  Smiley at bay.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!