Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newly diagnosed (Read 3138 times)
ann marie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

newly diagnosed
Oct 15th, 2016 at 6:41am

Members

2 posts
0 warning points

Posted
My son has just been diagnosed with CH, we went to the MD yesterday and got the definitive diagnosis. He got 2 prescriptions: Topiramate and sumatriptan spray. The spray would be for when he is at work and wants to abort an attack. (He is a driver). The spray wasn't covered, needs authorization. I don't know if insurance will give the auth, we paid out of pocket $300.00 in the meantime. He is afraid to use it do to the side effects he has heard of. (a tightening feeling in the chest). The MD told my son that some patients have told him they would rather have the CH!! Also, it will take some time for the Topiramate to take effect. Has anyone had experience with sumatriptan and did not get the side effects? My son just had a CH at 3:30 am and would not try the spray do to his fears of getting a panic attack from the side effects! 13 October 2016 - 06:11 AM

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Re: newly diagnosed
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 5:30pm

I use sumatriptan injections, and have no side effects at all.  They work for me in 5 - 7 minutes, and after 10 minutes you wouldn't even know I'd had an attack.  The only thing that happens is pure blessed relief.

Everyone is different though, and some people do have unpleasnat side effects.  The best thing for your son to do, is try it for the first time at home.  If he finds the side effects too bad he need not use it again if he doesn't want to.  It would be an awful shame if he continues to suffer when he has something that would help enormously, and maybe not have any nasty effects.  he should at least try it once.

IP Logged

ann marie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2016 at 12:29pm

Thank you so much for the information, I will continue to encourage him!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2016 at 9:14pm

Hi Ann Marie,

I'm so sorry your Son has this diagnosis. The good news is you've found the one place on the internet that has all the info he needs to get his life back. I've been fighting these for over 20 years. This place and the people here made a huge difference for me.

Sumatriptan is nothing to worry about compared to fighting the beast without it. I too use Sumatriptan. Though I use injections instead of the nasal spray. It can feel weird but it really works. I prefer injections to the nasal spray because of the awful taste. Though lots of people use the nasal spray too.

My main weapon is high flow oxygen therapy. There are zero side effects and I can abort an attack faster with high flow oxygen than I can with Sumatriptan. I use it at home, I use it at work and I use it on the road. Take a look at the info here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

My heart goes out to you as I know all too well what its like to have a child with CH. Two of my sons have had CH cycles and I have two daughters that suffer with migraines. HA is the family curse. It is always so much easier to fight through my own cycles than to watch them suffer.

Good luck and please encourage him to create an account here to do some reading.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 12:10pm

ann marie wrote on Oct 15th, 2016 at 6:41am:

The spray wasn't covered, needs authorization. I don't know if insurance will give the auth, we paid out of pocket $300.00 in the meantime.

I forgot to mention, there is a procedure to get prior authorization from the insurance co. You need to call your Dr and ask that they get this started. It has to come from Dr. Once it is in place it will stand for one year. Then you have to get approval again. It's a pain but it'll save you money.

Even when it is approved there are limits placed on how many doses they will cover in a 30 day period. I find it's best to keep getting the rx filled even when you aren't using that much so its there when you need it.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 4:12pm

The MD told your son that some patients would rather have CH's? I call Bullshit!!! I've known female CH sufferers that have said they have experienced and would rather give natural childbirth without epidural, etc than be attacked with a CH.

Personally, that comment from the MD would make me ? the MD.

If you want MD recommendations in your area who are familiar with CH treatment, feel free to PM me as I have a comprehensive list compiled 3 years ago provided by CH sufferers nationwide from this website.

Imitrex injections, ask for vials, use insulin syringe dividing doses, or try the Imitrex Trick/Tip...research on this site archives for more details. 

Batch's vitamin regimen is the best remedy out, try it, no prescription required, inexpensive, and all natural, nothing to lose, and everything to gain.DS test should be taken beforehand.

NON-rebreather mask, regulator with flow rates to hyperventialte aka ability of 25 lpm or faster, and a bottle of o2, prescribed or welders...that is a great line of defense! Small O2 bottles to keep in vehicle when driving, if hit with attack, pull over to side of road, put on hazards, hyperventilate, and after 5 or so minutes, back to the day pain free...

Melatonin before bed, somewhat helpful.

RedBull energy drink or other energy drink with at least 1,000 mg of Taurine and Caffeine combo, slam one/chug it down fast immediately at onset of attack, priceless for many of us, may even chug a can and hyperventilate o2, this spells relief!

You've come to the right place for advice, ma of us know more than the doctors and have actually taught the doctors who to treat CH's. Absorb your reading, make your decisions and pray!

Good luck Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 3:53am

I agree with Gregg 100%.  There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, worse than a CH.  Side effects are a small price to pay to get rid of that pain.  If I had a £ for every CHer that would rather have a CH than a few side effects, I'd be broke.

I wouldn't wish CH on anyone, but I do think there are a few doctors who would benefit greatly from just one short attack. You'd soon see them scrambling for all the meds they don't want to give their patients.

Your son has to try it and make up his own mind.  I was terrified the first time I gave myself an injection - but now, they are my new best friend.  I dread to think of the pain I would have suffered if I'd refused to try them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!