Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hurrah for Melatonin!!! (Read 5540 times)
LustreKIng
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hurrah for Melatonin!!!
Dec 14th, 2016 at 7:54am

I became a member of this support group to read up on the latest treatments and discoveries.  I read about Melatonin in  one of the posts.  I should have done that years ago. 
   Melatonin has almost eliminated my headaches this episode.  I take 50 mg daily with Aleeve(naproxyn), Ramipril, and magnesium.  It is truly amazing.  Yes, sometimes the beast sneaks through but it is easily handled with a tiny portion of a Treximet pill.  I told my doctor and he is recommending it.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Hurrah for Melatonin!!!
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 11:31pm

G'day LustreKing, welcome, and it's always great news for us to hear a ClusterMate has found something that's working.

Never used melatonin meself but it seems there's different types, slow working or fast working and the like, and some get better results with one or the other.

Perhaps worth a look but otherwise it's all smiles and and only better days ahead.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

jordan7815
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 11:02pm

Anyone know if timed-released melatonin is better than regular?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 12:01am

Hi and welcome Jordan

Try both and see what works best for you.

IP Logged

Clutch-Hicks
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 6:09pm

Tried 30mg of Melatonin last night with no success.  Going to up it tonight with my Magnesium in hopes that helpsme get through the night.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 4:44pm

Regular Melatonin works best for me, it normally takes a couple of weeks before it kicks in, 5-15mg before going to bed is what's recommended to keep the beast at bay, you just have to see what works best for you, I take 5mg and it works just fine for me  Smiley

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2017 at 12:00am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

CH Brain.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2017 at 8:25pm

Hi Hoppy,

Could you tell me which brand you take, where you get hold of it and how many milligrams dosage is advised on the label, please?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2017 at 11:22pm

I use LifeExtension natural sleep Melatonin 5mg which recommends you take one capsule 30-60 minutes before bedtime. I buy it online from the iHerb.com website.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Not sure what's going on, but they only have it in the 1mg dosage at the moment. You can get it from the LifeExtension website, but it's a lot more expensive.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2017 at 2:14am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

CH Brain.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 5:44am

Thanks Hoppy.

What exactly does Melatonin do for you?
I mean, is this for CH relief, or just to get more or better sleep?

I'm just trying to work out if this is good for your CH relief, or for sleep problems.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 8:34am

Melatonin is a naturally occurring chemical in the brain that induces sleep.

The excretion of Melotonin is triggered by the Hypothalmus in the centre of the brain, which responds to the natural day/night cycle caused by the rotation of the planet.

So, the connection to CH is that the Hypothalamus does not function correctly in CH sufferers, so the Melotonin secretion is interrupted. Consequent, we suffer greatly from sleep problems as well as severe pain, while in cycle.

Indeed, this dysfunction of the Hypothalmus is not hugely different from the "jet Lag" people experience after long haul flights.

This also helps to explain the "seasonal" element of CH. The Hypothalmus also responds to your "inner clock", known as your Circadian Clock, so it is no coincidence that Episodic CH is timed to coincide with the changing of the seasons.

So, this is why we benefit from taking Melotonin at night. You should note that it's effects are cumulative and therefore take a few weeks before the benefits are experienced.

Hope this help.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 8:37am

Incidentally, the brand I use is called 21st Century and is also good.

Take care,

Peter.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2017 at 8:41am by Peter510 »  

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

CH Brain.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:35am

Thanks Peter & Hoppy,

Can anyone tell me if we are talking about the over the counter (OTC) Homeopathic Melatonin, prescription Melatonin, or Melatonergic drugs?

The clear distinction would be useful to CHers I think.

IP Logged

Lookn4answers
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 3:58pm

Many, many years ago (like maybe 12-15), I wanted better sleep so I took some Melatonin.  That night, it triggered a cluster headache cycle!  So while it makes sense that it should help (helps regulate sleep cycles, connected with Serration which is why triptans and triptamines help, etc), my one bad experience scared me off.  Perhaps I should reconsider that, maybe over Christmas holidays so if a cycle starts it isn't as disruptive with work.

Does this put you in full remission?  How long as this worked for you?  What was your cycle timeline before (ie, annually, bi-annual, etc).  I'd like to try this, but need to know more before taking the risk.

Alan

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 5:08am

Melatonin suppresses hypothalamic over activation to some degree, which may be useful in some cases of CH.  Also, there is evidence that during cycles melatonin production almost stops.

I experimented a lot with melatonin over the years, read a lot about it and talked to many CHers who used it, and my conclusions are:

1. Its effect varies, not only in different people but also on different cycles. Sometimes doses as low as 1.5mg prevent nocturnal attacks and even the attacks during the day. Sometimes even doses higher than 10mg aren't enough.

2. Sometimes using melatonin in combination with meds is very effective. I've been able to prevent nocturnal attacks completely using 5 mg Melatonin + 25mg Amitryptaline + 25mg oral Imitrex. Sometime only two of the three are enough (either Melatonin+Amitryptaline or 25mg Amitryptaline + 25mg oral Imitrex).

3. Contrary to common belief, Melatonin does have adverse effects, including things like inhibition of insulin production. The more common side effect is drowsiness during the day. In my opinion, this is usually a sign of using a dosage that is too large.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 8:56pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!