Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm back and a question regarding my mask (Read 3404 times)
billinVA
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

I'm back and a question regarding my mask
Jan 26th, 2017 at 11:05pm

Hello my friends...It's been three years and they have returned.  I am blessed that this is only my seventh round of dealing with these suckers.  I'm 60 years old, live in Virginia, and I have a family who is understanding of what I go thru during my 6-8 weeks of agony.  Mine typically come at night, 2-4 each night is pretty standard.  As I enter the cycle, exhaustion catches up and I do have them during the day at times.  Duration of "headache" is from 30-90 mins.  I do know that as these go, I am very, very fortunate.

I have a question and any help would be greatly appreciated.  I purchased the non-rebreather mask/Cluster 02 kit from CH.com.  This system is new to me.  I am very impressed with the product quality, quick shipping and price.  THANK YOU DJ.  My question is regarding the exhale.  With the mask held firmly in place, when I exhale, the air is not able to escape effectively forcing the mask away from my face, breaking the seal between the mask and my face.  I am now in the habit of pulling the mask slightly away from my face on my exhale.  I then need re-position to form a seal and inhale oxygen.  And that is the pattern.  Is this normal?  Or should the exhale happen (able to escape) while maintaining a good seal with constant contact with my face? 

Thank you for reading this post and thank you very much for your help.  Peace.

Bill

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: I'm back and a question regarding my mask
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 4:23am

Hi there,

No, that's not normal. Check how you assembled it to see if the flow direction is set up correctly. By that I mean that the mask is on the correct side of the T-Joint.....see picture below. (Note the direction of the arrows).

Let us know how you get on,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

billinVA
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:45am

Thank you Peter, I appreciate the pic and advice.  The check valves on my mask are in the proper position, I guess the exhale is just a longer process, air passing out thru the port.  I think I just need to get used to the system.  Last night, five hit me, spaced two hours apart and thankfully each was aborted.  Before using oxygen.... I don't even want to think about it.  Thank you again.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 4:52pm

Many of us lift the mask to exhale. I had one of the masks with a sticky seal. Try blowing thru the mask a bit hard to see if it releases. I had to clean the seal.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 6:01pm

You can also practice with it when not having a CH, which will make it easier to get the technique right.

IP Logged

billinVA
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:33pm

Great advice Mike, Skyhawk and Peter.  Thank you very much, seriously.  I'm working with it and I think all is now good. I wish I had tried oxygen years ago.  I better stock up, have gone thru 1/8 of a large tank over just a couple days.  Thank you again.

Bill

IP Logged

zanychef
CH.com Junior

i'm busting with a masx
cant really go wrong
can i

x1|worthing|England|europe|172|244|
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 5:03pm

I've sometimes found that the valve can become sticky due to humidity taking the valve flap off and dusting with a non perfumed talc can help Smiley
zany

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too bad:)
Ian Howard  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 5:39pm

Hiya...

Another mask lifter here...not sure why but it seems a rote routine helps distract me....

Also...good idea on the talc for valve zany...they tend to get "sticky" with age...tho I'd substitute
corn starch baby powder for the talc as I am allergic... and talc in the lungs is probably not
a good idea...

Best

jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 5:39pm

The check valves come out of the "T" manifold... Wash them and the "T" manifold with a mild detergent solution, rinse well with fresh water, then soak up any leftover moisture with a clean tissue before reinstalling...

The interior of the green reservoir bag should be clean and dry...  If it feels slimy or has an odor... the one-way check valve above the reservoir is not working properly.  Wash the interior of the reservoir bag the same way as the check valves then hang upside down by the nipple to drip dry.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 11:46am

If you must clean the inside of the bag, be very gentle with it, as it is veddy easy easy to put a hole in one and it really sucks waiting a couple of days for a new one, if yer in the middle of a cycle.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

billinVA
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 9:46pm

Thanks to all you responded.  Great advice and some if not all will be used.  Really appreciate the help everyone.

Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!