Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taking Sumatriptane 3 times a day (Read 1480 times)
Ananth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Taking Sumatriptane 3 times a day
Feb 11th, 2017 at 9:29pm

Hi,

I am new this forum and I have been suffering from CH for the last 20 years but was diagnosed only on 2014 during an ER visit. Normally it lasts for 6 weeks. During the ER visit, I was prescribed with Sumatriptan and with in 2 weeks it disappeared. Now on Dec 10 2016, I have got CH and my neurologist has prescribed me Smatriptan and I have been taking it everyday averaging 3 times with O2. For the last 3 weeks I am on Topiramate 75 MG but the attacks are not reducing. I am kind of worried as my PCP is saying that taking 3 Sumatripane every day is not advisable as it may cause a rebound effect and other stronger side effects. Any other suggestion on trying other medications please. Thanks   

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Re: Taking Sumatriptane 3 times a day
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 10:06pm

Verapamil is the go too, as a preventative for CH's, providing you have no heart conditions. 360-480mg/day works best for most folk, talk with your neuro about this. Also, checkout the vitamin D regimen on here! It has lots of us clusterheads here, including myself, pain free.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2017 at 12:48am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Re: Taking Sumatriptane 3 times a day
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 6:50am

Yes to what Hoppy said about the sumatriptan. And what your doc said about the side affects , bad on the body, and rebound attacks. Do you have O2? Have you tried energy drinks at the first tingle of a headache starting?

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!