Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member here (Read 1424 times)
HeatherDubya
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New member here
Feb 22nd, 2017 at 2:44am

I thought I was alone but now I know I'm not!  It's a great feeling but also horrible, wouldn't wish these on my worst enemies.  Just diagnosed a year ago but have had them since I was 18.  It was sinus infections, allergies, brain trauma, asthma, migraines.  Finally a doctor listened to me.  I am on verapamil, melatonin, magnesium.  Abortives are sumatriptan and oxygen.  Also prn tramadol and lorazepam.  Still getting headaches.  Just did prednisone and worked for 2 weeks.  Any suggestions?  Afraid to go to sleep Smiley

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: New member here
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 11:40am

Hey Heather,

Welcome to CH.com.  You've come to the right place.  We know what you're going through and the good news is it doesn't need to be that way.

Check your email.  I've sent some info you'll need to discuss with your PCP or neurologist.

Sleep is a problem and major source of angst for CHers.  We know the CH beast will start jumping ugly after an hour of sleep so many of us avoid sleeping as much as possible... and usually fall asleep sitting in a chair.

Not surprisingly, sleeping semi-reclined actually helps reduce the frequency of CH.  The reason is simple. Elevating the head above the heart when semi-reclined requires a higher heart beat to lift the blood to the brain than it would if sleeping supine where the brain and heart are at the same level.  This also requires additional respiration to maintain oxygen levels.  The net result for CHers is a drop in the frequency of CH while sleeping.

A baking soda tonic can also help.  It's made with a half teaspoon of good old Arm & Hammer Baking Soda in a half glass of water.  Drinking one of these prior to sleeping semi-reclined will help elevate systemic pH which also lowers the frequency of CH.

The most reliable way of getting a good night's sleep as a CHer is to start the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 plus the cofactors.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 12:38pm

Heather - Several of us here on the site have gotten substantial relief from CH by treatment for Sleep Apnea.  The science is not terribly well-developed but the link between Sleep Apnea and low blood oxygen levels is clear, and we know that oxygen is the most effective abortive we have against CH.  I was diagnosed nearly two years ago with Sleep Apnea and put on a CPAP machine in June of 2015.  Since that night I have not had one single CH attack.  If your hits are primarily at nighttime it is something worth discussing with your neurologist.  It was a life changer for me.  PM me if you have any questions.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 12:26am

HeatherDubya wrote on Feb 22nd, 2017 at 2:44am:
Also prn tramadol

Be very careful with pain killers. They don't really touch the pain of a CH and can lead to rebound CHs plus issues including dependency.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!