Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice on Travel (Read 1033 times)
MikeChic73
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Advice on Travel
Mar 4th, 2017 at 4:26pm

Hi,

I'm Mike, I'm a new member here, and very newly diagnosed.  Still trying to find effective treatments/therapies, so I'll prob post again with other questions.  When I'm having an attack, I can't imagine any way it could be worse, but I travelling by plane in a couple months and I am nervous about the cabin pressure/being stuck on the plane during an attack...any advice?  THanks!

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Re: Advice on Travel
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 5:04pm

Taking off can be a problem in some folk but, it's mostly the landing that can trigger an attack, so have some sumatriptan auto injectors with you just in case.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2017 at 5:57pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Advice on Travel
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:22pm

Hi Mike and welcome.

When finding what is effective, you need a preventive to cut down how many CHs you get plus abortive(s) to kill CHs off (like oxygen, imitrex, etc).

People with CH seem to respond differently when flying. I flew several hundred times with active CH and I never had a CH whilst flying, but then other have had them whilst airborne, so it isn't easy to predict what will happen with you.

When flying I always have sumatriptan injections with me and have never been asked about them either for domestic flights here in New Zealand or on international flights to Australia / Singapore / Germany / UK. I'd make sure you've got them in the original packing with the pharmacy label / prescription label intact.

So it's all about being prepared, so in many ways no different to any other time, just more people around, with your abortive close to hand (i.e. not in checked baggage!).

I've also used one of the injections whilst flying too (for a severe migraine). Nobody seemed to notice and nobody said anything.

Remember that diabetics will also be flying routinely with injections, so it is nothing unusual.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!