Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello folks - New member from Germany (Read 1662 times)
Multivitamin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hello folks - New member from Germany
Mar 7th, 2017 at 1:16pm

Hi all,

first off thanks for this amazing community, I did some binge reading the past couple of days and already feel a lot smarter Smiley

I am from Germany, first (noticeable?) attack in 2009. Got diagnosed pretty much straight away as I googled the symptoms and was lucky that one of the countries "highest appraised" doc for CH is actually in my hometown.

MRI scan and else got done, o2 is working in nearly any case so keep assuming the diagnose stands correct.

I am 35, M, and usually have an episode each year or each 2nd year.

2 years PF now, starting again since last week. I am hit 3 times at night / early morning, sleep deprivation is one of the hardest things at the moment. Day time naps & bright light a big no go.

Based on past years experience, I am on verapamil 240 now, have Zomig nasal as emergency (works fine as well w/i around 5 minutes aborting) and two tanks of o2, max flow 15. (I read here higher is recommended but it does it for me for now as is and I also started to use the breathing technique from Batch where I am still evaluating if it aborts quicker. Probably some more experience needed)

I will immediately start the D3 regimen asap, just found out about it but it makes perfect sense - interesting enough I "accidentally" got diagnosed a very severe low level October 2016 (didnt ask for the test, it was done during a standard blood sampling. Never got D3 values before)

I scored at a stunning 9,0 Vitamin D (25-OH) (!!)

(reference level in test 40-60 considered as "good")

The doc told me to load a week with 20.000, then once a week 20.000 till June.

I didn't question that, (and also forgot taking it to be fair some weeks) until my episode started I read that taking D3 only is just a small part of the equation. So lets see. As I am on Verapamil currently I will get a new test first and then start right away. Will report on the general D3 thread later.

I dont want to start on my own as I need to know my current base level and am also not sure whether the calcium could cause issues with the verapamil if I dont now my lab scores on that one. Not easy to find a doctor willing to frequent D3 tests Sad. I found an online kit for blood testing, but it does not cover calcium only d3.

I also suffer from thyroid hypofunction / Hashimoto and take according meds, very bad back pain year round especially my neck and have a very low metabolism. Maybe this all tracks back to the low Vit D3 levels I am really curious what the loading will do.

Any questions, let me know

thanks again all for keeping this forum up

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Hello folks - New member from Germany
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 4:02am

Hey Multi...

Wie geht es Ihnen.  Ich spreche nur ein kleines bisschen Deutsch...  and not very well either...

Welcome to CH.com.  I think you've already figured out, you've come to the right place.  We know what you've been going through.

It appears you've got a great doctor and he's is on the right track... He's just a little too conservative on the vitamin D3 dose.

If you want the CH beast to go away and stay away fast you need a higher loading dose of vitamin D3 and you also need the vitamin D3 cofactors that aid in its metabolism and therapeutic benefits.

With a starting 25(OH)D serum concentration of 9 ng/mL, you're going to need a total loading dose of vitamin D3 of 700,000 IU to elevate your serum 25(OH)D up to a target value of 80 ng/mL (Where most CHers remain CH pain free).  You'll also need the vitamin D3 cofactors: 400 mg/day magnesium, 10 mg/day zinc, 1 to 3 mg/day Boron, vitamin A (retinol) at RDA and vitamin K2 complex (MK4 and MK5).  1000 to 2000 mg/day Omega-3 fish oil will also help.

The average 25(OH)D response to loading dose of vitamin D3 is 10 ng/mL for every 100,000 IU of oral vitamin D3 taken...  You're presently at 9 ng/mL and you need to be at 80 ng/mL. Doing the math, that works out to a total loading dose of 700,000 IU of vitamin D3.  If you spread that amount over 14 days it works out to 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3. 

I know that sounds like a lot of vitamin D3 but there are studies where vitamin D3 deficient patients were given a single oral dose of 600,000 IU of vitamin D3 with no problems noted...  The average response was 60 ng/mL on top of their starting baseline 25(OH)D serum concentration...

Accordingly, I would take 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 for two weeks (14 days) then drop back to a maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3.  Be sue to take all the cofactors and Omega-3 fish oil daily.

The following link will download the latest version of the anti-inflammatory regimen CH preventative treatment protocol. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It explains all of the above and a lot more... Well over 600 CHers have started this regimen since December of 2010.  Better than 80% of them experienced a significant reduction in the frequency, severity and duration of their CH within 30 days.  54% experienced a lasting pain free response to this regimen as long as they continued taking it.

Please discuss it with your doctor.  That way you'll both be singing from the same sheet music when you ask for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, total calcium and PTH (Parathyroid Hormone).

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an autoimmune disorder.  The anti-inflammatory regimen with lots of vitamin C should be helpful, but please discuss this with your doctors first...

There are a few physicians who have successfully treated patients suffering from autoimmune disorders with even higher doses of vitamin D3 resulting in remissions...

See the following links:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register's+Thyroiditis+and+Vitamin+D+-+multiple+studies

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2017 at 4:23am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Multivitamin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 1:27pm

Hi Batch,

thanks for the welcoming message - your German is great couldnt have said it better Smiley You travelled to Europe or learned at school ?

Can't wait to start testing the D3 treatment, did a blood test on Friday and looking forward to the results of my current base level. I know I could theoretically start right away, my Neurologist is fully supportive and actually knew about this option as well (and agrees with the current evidence around D3, not just for CH treatments ) - which was good to hear. The doc subscribing me the 20k without co-supplements was a different doc, should have asked the neuro earlier.

Problem is getting all of the supplements it looks at least at the pharmacies I checked. (They have everything except vitamin B50 and Boron only at 3mg - 1mg doses aren't even available to order)

Will check out UK stores, ordering from there works also.

I will report back and do the survey as well.

Sorry for what you must go through as well, sending you ongoing strenght and best wishes over the big pond.

Servus, Multi

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 8:39pm

Servus Multi,

LOL, with the exception of ordering beer in German... Japanese, Español and a few other German phrases, that WAS the extent of my German vocabulary... 

I took a year of Deutsch für Amerikaner back in '65 at the U of W in Seattle. However, without use... it's mostly gone.  I'd promised my daughter Gretchen, a Porsche if she graduated from high school with straight As...  She did...  Covaledictorian with a 4.23 gpa.  She walked off the stage, diploma in hand and came up to me with a big smile...  The first thing out of my mouth was "I didn't say it was going to be a new Porsche..."  She laughed and said, "I don't want a Porsche...  I want to go where they're made..."

I'd been to Stuttgart a few times so said "Stuttgart?"  She said "No, Tuttlingen, about an hour South."  She already had her airline ticket and was gone a week later.  She stayed with a family there in Tuttlingen for 18 months, took a year of Gymnasium and taught English. 

She came back to start her first year at the University of Washington in Seattle.  After a two day interview, she placed 3rd Year in Germanics... and the faculty there loved her...  I must have come from the other end of the family gene pool when it comes to learning other languages...

Glad to hear you're starting the anti-inflammatory regimen... You won't be sorry.  Many CHers living outside the US obtain their supplements for this regimen from iherb.com or amazon.com.  If you keep the weight of the order under 4 lbs, you get the best shipping rates from iherb.

I like your neurologist.  Make sure he receives a copy of the latest anti-inflammatory regimen treatment protocol from the VitaminDWiki website at the following link.

If you have a smart phone with a QR Code reader, scan the following QR code to download this regimen to your smart phone.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!