Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
This is a 3 year CH cycle? (Read 9158 times)
CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
This is a 3 year CH cycle?
Mar 10th, 2017 at 9:13am

Back again after 3 years CH free.
Looked back at my posts, first time bout with it in 2011, then 2014, and had my latest episode last night at 3 a.m.
Fell behind on vitamin D3 regimen so I'm re-starting that today, along with the other supplements. 
Also will be doubling my dose (physician approved) of verapamil to 240mg/day.  Currently taking 120mg/day.

This is really depressing.  When you think you've kicked it only to find out it's been in hiding.

I will keep posting as I progress.

Thank you to this group for having so much information so easily accessible

WWW https://www.facebook.com/HuggableHound  
IP Logged

lirrgirl14
CH.com Newbie

long island new york
Re: This is a 3 year CH cycle?
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 9:24am

Same here!! Almost 3yrs CH free. Then bam outa nowhere. Feb1st got my first while sleeping..
  Although for the first time ever in 21yrs... This has been the weekest pain 1-4's that I have ever had. But I rarely ever last longer then a month. I'm going on almost 2 months now..
I don't know why so different this time around?
are yours different as well?

catherine
lirrgirl14 lirrgirl224  
IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 9:29am

It was a 1-4 on the pain scale and went away quickly, maybe 15 minutes.  Got up and put ice on my eye and temple.
Mine have always started like this and intensify quickly, so I'm really dreading already (at 9:28 a.m.) going to sleep tonight.

Will brew myself a strong coffee also and have that in the fridge to chug.

Are you taking the Vitamin D3 regimen?  It really helped me the last time they resurfaced, like within 3 weeks, but that 3 weeks was hell.

IP Logged

lirrgirl14
CH.com Newbie

long island new york
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 12:23pm

I'm already on a high dose of d3. Alittle to late in the game this time around for me to start.
  Cold coffee? hmm. ill have to try that. JUst got home from neruo. He is putting me on prednisone and topomax. Shall see how this helps me sleep.lol..
  I get them every night while sleeping..

catherine
lirrgirl14 lirrgirl224  
IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 1:51pm

Good luck!  I believe I read on this site that a good shot of caffeine helps at the start of one and well I try to do what I can to stop it from reaching full blown proportion.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 2:53pm

Carol,

Wolf down any energy drink at the first sign. The combination of Caffeine and Taurine into the bloodstream in a rush can divert an attack.

Not always but does work sometimes.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 5:23pm

Thanks Peter!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 2:59am

Hey CaroleA and lirrgirl14,

Both of you had the CH beast licked... then you stopped taking the anti-inflammatory regimen and opened the door for its return... Even if you're episodic, it's best to stay on this regimen year-round. 

It's never too late to start this regimen.  After 6 years working with CHers and collecting data from the online survey of CHers taking this regimen over the last five years, it's very safe to say this regimen has many other wonderful health benefits beyond preventing CH and migraines.

There's only one word of caution for ladies of childbearing age...  Fertility goes WAY UP when you're on this regimen and even higher when your guy is on it too...  Smiley

Moreover, it you've an overpowering urge to fill the home with a warm fuzzy little bundle of joy, there isn't a better gift for that bump in the tummy than a T-Rex immune system and strong bones thanks to the anti-inflammatory regimen. It also helps to ensure a worry free pregnancy.

In this case, I call it the baby bump and suckle regimen.  The little critters need to take if from you while breast feeding too. 

Just be sure to keep you OB and pediatrician in the loop with a copy of the following regimen when you ask for blood tests of your 25(OH)D, total calcium and PTH at scheduled check-ups.  If by chance, you go this route, be sure to ask for a maternal and cord blood lab tests for 25(OH)D at birth.  We need more of that kind of information.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you have a smart phone with a QR Code reader, scan the following QR code to download this regimen to your smart phone.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There's a growing number of ladies with CH who have taken this regimen throughout pregnancy and during breast feeding who will be happy to share their experiences with you in a PM.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2017 at 9:30pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 10:58am

Thank you Batch!  You're absolutely right and believe me I am kicking myself to hell and back for dropping my D3 regimen.  I started back yesterday and thankfully had a pain free night.  I'm on guard going forward but was thankful for sleep.

IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 10:29pm

Well here I am almost 6 weeks later, and have had maybe 3 nights pain free.  Spent Tuesday night in emergency because I just couldn't take it anymore. Thankfully had an emergency dr that has a family member that suffers from CHs, so it was nice not to have to explain what exactly a CH is. Now waiting for an emergency appointment with my dr. to get a prescription for oxygen.  Hospital can't prescribe.  I'm beyond sleep deprived, I can't think straight, can't function and I'm honestly afraid to go to sleep at night.  Yes I'm feeling pathetic and hopeless at the moment, mostly due to lack of sleep.  I feel nauseous 24/7.  Completely different cycle this time.  Where I only have ever experienced 1 CH per  night, now I am experiencing multiple, with usually 3 per night, so at best I am sleeping no more than an hour before another one hits.  Strong coffee isn't doing anything and I think that's whats causing the nausea because caffeine really doesn't agree with me.  Trying to stay strong and hope that this ends soon or that I get a call from my dr tomorrow and can get the oxygen set up asap.  FML doesn't even describe how I feel.  It's 10:30, I'm beyond exhausted and I'm doing everything to stay awake. 

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 10:56pm

Carol my heart goes out to you. There's definitely some unfortunate irony with the 3 years aspect. Be strong!

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 4:31pm

Hi Carol

With the oxygen make sure you get:
  • A non-rebreather mask - this will have a bag on it
  • A high flow rate - at least 15lpm and higher is better

Read up about using it effectively at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Since you're using vitamin D3, are you following the current recommendations - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Hoping that things improve soon for you. Keep us updated with how you're doing.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 6:06pm

Carol,

You're still light on serum 25(OH)D.  If you haven't started the 2-week vitamin D3 loading schedule with 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3, I'd do so now.. I'd also double the magnesium to 800 IU/day split 400 mg in the a.m. and 400 mg prior to bed.

If the CH beast is still jumping ugly after a day or two at 50,000 IU/day, give Benadryl, (Dipehnhydraming HCL) a try.  25 mg in the morning and another 25 mg at night should do the trick.  Just be careful and don't drive or operate a chainsaw or table saw.  It will make you drowsy...  If you must drive or operate contraptions, take 50 mg of the Benadryl prior to bed.  It will work just as effectively and help give you a good night's sleep to boot.

Take care and hang in there...  It will get better...

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:28am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:42pm

Carol

Hang in there. You and I share the same cycle, every 3 years. I will tell you my D3 levels came back at 85 and I, like you, was still getting hit 3 times a night. O2 and Monster helped me a LOT. Now I will tell you what I believe put me over the top and has allowed me to be pain free for over a week now. I did one more dose of 50k D3 AND I take 25mg of Benadryl every 4 hours. Now I don't know if that is overkill or not, but I do know I am pain free and will continue to take it until June (when my cycle would normally be over) Also one more thing my daily dose of D3 is steady at 15k.

Take care and I hope you are pain free soon.

Todd

IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 5:17pm

Thank you Todd, Batch, Gregg and Mike for your input and thoughts. 

I started with the Four-Week Vitamin D Loading schedule (6 weeks ago)and followed it to the letter, including the loading dose of 50,000 D3 in week 1 and 2.  Always taken with my biggest meal of the day, with orange juice and some honey, for the boron.

I will start again on the Two week loading schedule starting today.  How long should I stay on this dosage?  I will also look into the Benedryl but have to find out if it interacts with my meds (verapamil, elavil and trazadone).  I'm a lightweight so I have to be careful what I take/add.

The dose of magnesium I am taking is 500 mg, so I will try to find a 400mg size and take it twice daily

I'm ordering a non-rebreather mask as I think what they will give me is the Nasal cannula and I have noted the high flow rate of at least 15lpm and higher.

Mike, yes, the link you included is the dosage recommendation I am working with and have used in the past 2 cycles.

Earliest appointment I could get with my physician is this coming Friday (not impressed but not much I can do) and I hope that I will be able to get set up with the oxygen the same day, especially with the weekend following.

THank you all again for your replies, being able to come back here at the very least give me a few more options than I had yesterday.  Sleep was nonexistent again the last few nights but yesterday I did manage to nap for 45 minutes twice.  Pathetic really but I feel better after I napped.

IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #15 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 8:29am

Took the 50,000 D3 after dinner last night and had the best night's sleep I've had in 4 weeks. Woke up once with a minor twinge which lasted maybe 15 minutes from start to finish and was able to go back to sleep.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!  Will continue on the 50,000 for the rest of the week!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #16 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 12:51pm

Hey Carole,

Great news! Thanks for the update...  It appears you've discovered another reason to stay on this regimen year round.  If you were off vitamin D3 for more than 3 months, I would take the 50,000 IU/day Vitamin D3 loading dose for 12 days.  That totals 600,000 IU of vitamin D3 and that amount should elevate your serum 25(OH)D up to the target range of 70 to 90 ng/mL.   

Obtaining the lab test for your serum 25(OH)D next Friday is a must. That will tell us how long you need to stay at 50,000 IU/day loading dose.  Call your doctor's office on Monday to see if he will write the script for this lab test in advance of your appointment.  That way you'll have the results to discus. 

If there's a question of coverage, tell your doctor or his assistant you've been taking 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 so the rationale for this lab is Hypervitaminosis D.  You don't/won't have it, but that is a mandatory  coverage item for most insurance companies.

As long as you're responding to the 50,000 IU/day loading dose, you can keep your powder dry on taking the Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL).  I would pick up some Children's Allergy Medicine Liquid Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) just to be safe.  An allergic reaction this time of year is still in the cards.  When an allergic reaction hits, it releases a flood of histamine that makes all the CH prevents less effective. 

Diphenhydramine HCL is a first-generation antihistamine that crosses the blood brain barrier to block H1 histamine receptors on neurons throughout the brain and in particular, the hypothalamus and trigeminal ganglia.  Once block, the histamine cannot do its insult.  That enables the vitamin D3 to do its genetic expression thing to prevent your CH.

Regarding drug interactions between Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) and elavil or trazadone...They can cause an increase in drowsiness.  If you're taking these two drugs for your CH... You should be able to come off both once you're PF with the vitamin D3 regimen... Talk with your doctor first about doing this.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #17 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 3:20pm

UPDATE:  Well the CHs been coming and going, mostly coming and staying with no relief.  I had my appointment with my family physician and after calmly, albeit impatiently, trying to explain why I do not want to take the Triptan meds she is pushing ('scuse the pun) she finally agreed to write the script for the oxygen.

So I am now back at home with my non re-breather mask waiting for delivery of a tank.

Didn't get blood work done as this was an emergency appointment so I have to call Monday to schedule that.

I swear......don't let anyone ever tell you that healthcare in Canada is great!  It's not!  Oh and I have to pay for everything for the oxygen because I'm self employed and our provincial (Ontario) government health insurance doesn't cover it.  Not crazy expensive though, I think $80, $20 of which is equipment rental which I can return once my cycle stops.

This will be my first experience with oxygen so I will come back tomorrow and update

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #18 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 5:26pm

Carole,

Best of luck with the Oxygen. I presume the script is for 15LPM flow rate???

Also, did you get the mask here?

Don't hesitate to ask questions and have a look at the Oxygen Info tab, above left on this page, highlighted in yellow.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #19 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 6:36pm

Peter, No I didn't get the mask here but I plan on ordering one.  They provided a non re-breather with the tank so I think I'm good to go but thank you I will definitely read everything in the Oxygen info section.  Yes the script is for the script is for 15LPM flow rate.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #20 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 7:29pm

Good to go then Carol,

The mask on sale here is designed specifically for Cluster Headache and therefore, if far more effective than the standard issue.

So, best of luck and hope you get great relief from it.

Incidentally, I also refused to take Triptans as I didn't like the effects on the heart that long term use causes.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Peter.

IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #21 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 8:01am

Went to bed at 11:25.  Woke up at 2:24 with the start of a CH!  Got up right away, had the oxygen mask on by 2:25, and by 2:29 I was PAIN FREE!!!  Left it on for 15 minutes, went back to bed and slept until 7!!!  Prayers are answered!

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #22 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 9:18am

Carole,

That's great news. We love to hear this. Pain free is what we all aspire to.

Peter.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2017 at 11:03am by Peter510 »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #23 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 4:51pm

Wonderful news. There is nothing quite like the feeling when you have something that will kill off a CH.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #24 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 7:56pm

Carol,

Are you still taking the 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 loading dose?

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!