Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
mother of 8-yr old (Read 5187 times)
her mom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

mother of 8-yr old
Mar 24th, 2017 at 2:55pm

Hello all- I am so thankful to have found this site.  My 8-yr old daughter has been having headaches for years that come around every 3-6 months and last 2-4 months.  At the beginning of a cycle they are less frequent & severe, ~4x daily mainly at night and are level 4 pain.  However, after the first month they rise to 6-8 a day with pain levels of 8-10.    She holds her head (right eye) & screams & cries for the 30-60 mins they last.  It is excruciating to watch your child be in this much pain, as you all know.  This last round, which began in December, has been the worst & has her barely able to participate in life.  She goes to school, but spends 1/2 the day in the nurse, with the nurse asking me to pick her up 1-2x per week.  1 day a week she doesn't go at all because the headache she wakes up with is the worst.  She misses all school parties, birthday parties, etc.  We save up our 2x a week Motrin for school test days or a fun activity to try to keep her spirits (& hope) up.  Our pediatrician has insisted that these are migraines for years, so we have tried 5 migraine medicines- none of which helped with headaches & 2 of which altered her personality and ability to think. 

But, I am so thankful to share that the pediatrician eventually acknowledged the need for a neurologist, so this week she was diagnosed with cluster headaches.  I am torn on how to feel because on the one hand it is not a condition I would wish on anyone, but on the other hand we are thankful to have a diagnosis & treatment plan.

At this time the treatment plan is all medication, so I am wondering if other parents have tried non-medicine methods of treatment in a young child?  So far we have tried oils (peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus), massages of back & neck (but just by me), ice on the affected eye and back of neck, relaxation techniques that I thought up like showering, taking a slow assisted walk outside (she gets very very weak during an episode), and we had her first chiropractic appointment this week.  She has a very high water intake level already due to other health conditions.  We find calming her & slowing her breathing helps, but I am about out of ideas on how to calm her.

Being honest though, each method only works for a day or two because they seem to be more mind over matter than cures.  It seems like if she believes there's hope & that a new home method can work than it "does", but only until she realizes it actually does not help.

So I was wondering if anyone thinks it's appropriate (or works) to use acupuncture?  Has anyone used CBT and seen it as helpful?  Are there other things we should be doing or looking in to?  At this point we are desperate for relief!

Thanks so much for listening.  I am sorry that others share this horrible affliction, but glad to have people to talk to, so thanks.

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Re: mother of 8-yr old
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 3:34pm

O2 at 25lpm with an Opti-mask.

Potter

IP Logged

her mom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 4:19pm

Thank you for the oxygen recommendation.  Her neurologist ordered a tank for her & we are waiting for a call from the oxygen co.  I appreciate the response.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 4:48pm

Welcome,

CH is bad enough when you're an adult. It's unimaginable what it must be like for a child.

Read through the following link and come back with questions. It really works for a lot of us.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 8:17am

I meant to add that I tried Acupuncture and it was of no benefit at all.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 3:16pm

Hi and welcome.

It can be tough enough for our supporters when they are supporting an adult, but it must be incredibly hard when it is a child.

Getting to see a neurologist was the critical step to getting the diagnosis as CH is fairly rare so most doctors, even many neurologists just don't have the skills and experience to diagnose and treat CH.

Whilst CH isn't something you'd wish on anyone, the diagnosis does mean that the appropriate treatments can be used which should be a mixture of medication to prevent CHs from happening and then ways to kill off any CHs she does get.

I understand your wish to avoid "medication", but this route is the most effective.

Chiropractors have been suggested by many as an option, but whilst many have tried it, none have had any impact on their CH, plus we've had chiropractors who have CH say that it doesn't benefit them. Similarly with acupuncture, there isn't any real success stories with it and CH.

Some things that can help are things like ice packs, cold showers (or hot for some), energy drinks (not sure how appropriate they are for an 8 year old).

For preventives, she may have been prescribed something like verapamil, lithium or topamax, all of which can cut down how many CHs she gets. Although due to her age and "other conditions", some of these may not be suitable. So this is where your neuro will know the appropriate one(s) to use based on her medical history.

There is an alternative that a lot of us have used to good effect which is using vitamin D3 (plus co-factors). I've been CH pain free for several years using it.

For the oxygen, do read up on our oxygen info page - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. The key things are to use a non-rebreather mask and a high flow rate, plus starting on it as soon as a CH starts.

I'd also read through the other recent posts in the "Children and Clusters" section of this forum as there is some good advice around CH and how it impacts children.

Keep us updated on how she gets on and ask any questions you have.

IP Logged

her mom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 9:57pm

Peter, thank you so much for sending the link!  I am finding it a great source of information, and plan on touching base with the neurologist.  Thank you also for your experience with acupuncture, as the closest pediatric is over an hour away & very expensive!  I think I will hold on getting an appointment and work on D3.

Mike, thank you for responding.  She was in fact put on the medications you indicated: verapamil daily (just started days ago) & maxalt (seems to have no effect) at the on-set of a headache.  She tried Topiramate with bad results, but I have not heard of Lithium so I will look it up.  She should receive her oxygen tank Monday, so hopefully that will prove effective.  Thanks too for your thoughts on chiropractic and acupuncture, as we don't need to put her through treatments that aren't effective for CH sufferers.  I am so happy you have been pain-free from D3!  It sounds like this is something I need to follow up on immediately with her neurologist!  Thank you, and I will keep you updated!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:32am

Send Batch a PM, he is the vitamin D3 expert here and has helped a lot of people get great results. However when you talk to her neurologist, some may be skeptical about it, although lots are the opposite. The last time I saw my neuro one of the first things she suggested I try was vitamin D3 as she had been getting good results with it.

Topiramate has had mixed results. It works quite well for many, but a lot hit issues with the side effects which can significantly impact cognitive function, which is why it is often called variations of dopeymax (this is what happened when I tried it).

Verapamil is probably the most commonly used preventive for CH and it is fairly effective too. For adults, most people need between 360 and 480mg a day, however the dose will be lower for a child. It takes 10 days to take effect, so don't give up on it before it has chance to take effect.

Whilst waiting for a long term preventive to take effect it is common for a prednisione taper to be given to provide short term relief. However this may not be suitable for children.

Maxalt is a sumatriptan (it is a brand name for rizatriptan). This is most frequently used to abort migraines, not CH. Instead we normally use sumatriptan (Imitrex / Imigran are the brand names), with the injection and nasal spray working much better than the tablet form in that is can take effect in a few minutes, compared to 20+ minutes for the tablet form. However again, Maxalt may be the most suitable form for a child.

IP Logged

davidtc
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 5:17am

Please contact me for radical new approach to CH, No pharmaceuticals are used and it stopped my chronic CH immediately. The protocol is simple and easy but the info for you to assess is some 18 pages long.
Dave Cooper
cooper@butterflies.co.za

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 4:53pm

davidtc wrote on Jun 2nd, 2017 at 5:17am:
Please contact me for radical new approach to CH, No pharmaceuticals are used and it stopped my chronic CH immediately. The protocol is simple and easy but the info for you to assess is some 18 pages long.
Dave Cooper
cooper@butterflies.co.za

Can you publicly share information about what this approach is and how it works?

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 8:01pm

I have all those details to hand, Mike, and will happily forward them to anyone who sends me an email address.

It may even warrant further discussion but I'm not sure Kiddies' Corner is the place for it.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 8:35pm

I have all those details to hand, Mike, and will happily forward them to anyone who sends me an email address.

Brian...it's ch.com...medications, treatments, therapies...a whole bunch of folks would be interested...

It may even warrant further discussion but I'm not sure Kiddies' Corner is the place for it.

Fer sure....I thought an odd placement too....see above....

...and to add...cryptic msgs to mothers of 8 yr old cluster suffers...by first time posters...in the wrong thread...engender suspicion...tell me I'm wrong. questions were asked of poster...no reply forthcoming......

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

davidtc
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 1:42am

Hello,
Apologies if this was posted in the wrong place. I am new to CH forum and am battling to navigate site. The 8 year old struck a cord and hence I posted Radical Approach. The treatment consists of 3 naturopathic ingredients. The article is long because it takes one through the process by which the conclusions were reached and contains the referenced articles and product details so that one can make a proper decision as to how to use the protocol. The items used may not be easily available in different countries hence it was important that a CH sufferer may consider the various alternatives.
This is not a scam.
Please contact me on cooper@butterlies.co.za for the full document.
I have personally had virtually every pharmaceutical product on the market. All with varying and limited success.
The protocol I am suggesting will cost less than $2.00 a day for maintenance dosage and will only enhance your health.
Should you find that it works for your CH it is particularly suitable for a child as none of the ingredients are distasteful nor are there adverse side effects.
Dave Cooper

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 2:54am

Given his polite and comprehensive response, I wonder if further discussion might be better elsewhere, rather than here in Kiddies' Corner.

The Medications and Therapies board perhaps.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!