Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil Advice (Read 2508 times)
jmc1106
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Verapamil Advice
May 19th, 2017 at 9:59am

Husband is starting his 2nd week of the D3 regimen with the two-week loading. He had been taking 100 mg verapamil (regular release) 3 times daily, and stopped that, thinking the verapamil wasn't doing any good. Two days later, the CH's started back, so evidently the verapamil WAS helping somewhat. I had read somewhere ... and now can't find it ... about taking verapamil at a time opposite the handful of pills due to verapamil blocking the calcium. He has started taking his morning verapamil again, and I'm wondering if he couldn't take another mid-day. Would that be enough time before taking his D3 etc. CH's are milder but still hitting 2-3 times a day. Or would the extended release verap be okay? A few cycles ago, we had switched from extended release to 3 100-mg pills a day which worked better at that time.

Sorry for the repeat of info, I just couldn't find that post that I had previously read. Thank you!

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Re: Verapamil Advice
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2017 at 4:13pm

Talk to doctor...plenty to read here on this site...enter the word Verapamil into search engine above....thousands of archived posts discussing everything and anything you will want to know about this drug.

In a nutshell, the short acting Verapamil has been favored in increments of 80mg, divided doses throughout the day. Many CH'ers need to take high dosages of Verapamil - search archives - and speak to your doctor.

As for the Calcium interference with Verpamail...I think Calcium reduces Verapamil effectiveness and should not be taken together or within so many hours of each other. I would rid Calcium and continue with other cofactors of D3 regimen and get the Verpamail working.

No shortage of education here with the search engine....pain free wishes. Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2017 at 6:48pm

If your hubby is taking a good daily multivitamin with a min  200mg calcium in it, then that's fine and shouldn't make any difference when you take the verapamil.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

jmc1106
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2017 at 9:57pm

Yes well, we are currently educating the doctor on all of this. The calcium (220 mg) is in the multivitamin recommended by Batch. So I think I'll suggest he gets back on those other two doses of Verapamil and see what that does.

Thanks for the advice. I did use the search engine, but so many posts came up, I couldn't find the one I had previously read about calcium. Definitely no shortage of information on the subject!  Wink

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:54pm

jmc1106 wrote on May 19th, 2017 at 9:57pm:
Yes well, we are currently educating the doctor on all of this. The calcium (220 mg) is in the multivitamin recommended by Batch. So I think I'll suggest he gets back on those other two doses of Verapamil and see what that does.

Thanks for the advice. I did use the search engine, but so many posts came up, I couldn't find the one I had previously read about calcium. Definitely no shortage of information on the subject!  Wink

Exactly, it truly requires many hours of reading and comprehending, and taking notes/printing to understand this disease. Pain Free Wishes! Wink

-Gregg in Las vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:16pm

I did a pretty detailed post about verapamil a few weeks ago. Scroll down to the 5th post:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:23pm

Yo Mike, that post was excellent advice and very detailed too. I have always admired your contributions throughout the years.  Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!