Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prednisone? (Read 1343 times)
trsixy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Prednisone?
Jun 1st, 2017 at 12:41am

Giving Prednisone a try, started a couple days ago.
Anyone tried it, if so how'd it work out.
I'm taking 60 mg a day the first week.
Still had a big headache earlier this evening.
I have injections but used oxygen and it worked luckily.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Prednisone?
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 2:20am

Typically prednisione is used as a short term preventive, starting at about 60 or 70mg a day for a few days, then tapering off until about 10 days later you've stopped using it.

Prednisone can be a very effective preventive, but it should only ever be used for a short term as it can have significant side effects when used for the medium term or longer, e.g. causing joint damage and osteoporosis. So if you have been prescribed it long term, ask questions.

It is normally pretty effective within a day or two for most people, but if you've got questions, do check with your doctor.

Whilst not everyone gets side effects, it isn't unusual for it to impact sleep, cause mood changes and for people to put on weight as it really ramps up appetite.

As with any preventive, if you still get a CH, just deal to it with your usual preventive(s).

IP Logged

Esheel31
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Virginia,USA
Re: Prednisone?wemws and
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 11:16pm

Mike is correct.
It usually takes a couple of days to start working.
During that time,you should be starting another preventative med so it will be in your system when the pred taper is gone.
Verapamil,lithium,depakote,or Topamax usually.
I usually take dexamethose for 10 days in the beginning.
it can make you feel like a million bucks,especially if you've been suffering badly.
There can be mood swings,a raging appetite,and increased energy.
The worse part to me is when you are coming down the taper.
Sleeplessnessi,irritability,and muscle cramping are common.
All pale in comparison to the agony that is clusters.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!