Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FDA Approval GammaCore Device (Read 3972 times)
neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

FDA Approval GammaCore Device
Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:09pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: FDA Approval GammaCore Device
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 3:32pm

Yep,  about time too.

I've been buying them from Germany since late 2012.

Maybe now I can get them here.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Eroc
CH.com Junior

CH.com helped me!

Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 6:29am

Does it work?  I am in the process of getting a unit?  Just have the insurance hurdle to jump through today.

Thanks,

Eric

EHanson1980  
IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 7:38am

Eric,

It works best for me as long as I use it as soon as I feel the beast stirring. It can also subdue the pain if the pain level has racked up, (e.g. If you're woken at night), but it takes a bit longer.

I have never found it to be effective as a preventative treatment.

Therefore, I never go anywhere without it.

Let us know how you get on with your insurance provider. I would be interested in getting it approved by the insurance companies here in Ireland.

Regards,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Eroc
CH.com Junior

CH.com helped me!

Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 11:03pm

My insurance has approved it, however it is considered out of network so I have to meet a small deductible out of pocket.  (FSA approved those dollars as well)  We have BCBS out of NC and they have been very easy to work with. 

Gammacore really does all of the leg work for you.  They have spoken directly with my Neuro so I didnt have to play the relay game. The prescription process is a bit different as you have to get your neuro to go online and register himself and fill out some provider forms.

I anticipate getting the unit later this week or first part of next week. 

The big thing to note is that I had to guide my neuro to the device and request it.  He didnt seem to know it existed.

I just fell back into cycle last thursday after a 3 year break.  (longest ever, usually only 2 years) 

I am cautiously hopefull that it works as I am sick of the Trex and o2 already.  O2 takes so much work for me to get results.  Even following Batches hyperventilation  recomendations.  I also just started an 80mg pred taper to let the D3 build as well as the verap.  Day 2 into the pred and I have had a heck of a kip 1 or 2 basically all afternoon.  Also trying Batches new additions of the Benadryl and vitamin C as the regimin hasnt worked for me in the past. 

Let me know if you have any tips or tricks with the device..

Thanks again and PF Wishes, (This sux)

Eric

EHanson1980  
IP Logged

ClosetCHer
CH.com Junior

United States
Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 8:20pm

Eroc please let us know if the device works for you or not. I've found relief in the past for kip 1/2 CHs through a simple vagal "massage" so I'm interested in the product. The main problem I have is that I'm in a career that doesn't allow me to be an open CHer, even through my medical care. I cycle once a year for 4-6 weeks so I'd be more than willing to shell out the retail cost for relief of headaches that I get while I'm at work. I'm willing to pay a finders fee for anyone who's interested! Grin

IP Logged

Eroc
CH.com Junior

CH.com helped me!

Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 9:14pm

I will certainly provide updates.  It just showed up today however I am in the beginning of an 80mg pred taper to allow the verap and D3 titrate up.  I wasnt sure I could get the device so we went the traditional route.  It takes a bit of work to get one prescribed and actually in your hands.  It was also out of network for my insurance so I had to pay a little more.  Its $599 for a 30 day usage with upto 24 stimulations a day. 

I am cautiously optimistic.  Currently while I am at work if I get hit I retreat to my truck and inject 2 to 3 mg dose of the Trex.  At home I try and use the o2 however I rarely have success with that when it wakes me up at night as I am too tired to "huff and puff" like a mad man to knock down the HA. 

I will report back once I start using it. 

Any tips on usage are welcomed. 

Thanks again,

Eric

EHanson1980  
IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 4:29am

Eric,

Did you get an instruction booklet with the device? Also, did whoever wrote your prescription not demonstrate how it should be used?

Peter.

IP Logged

wsnurse
CH.com Junior

Give a Smile every Day

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 3:44pm

Boy I feel you. Had a great summer only 1 to 2 a day. Then like clock work. September 19th. Wham out of commission.
Did two Prednisone taper blasts 60mg 14 days. Verapamil 720mg taper up and D3 blast. I stay on maintainence year round.

I am trying a clinical study at Stanford Hospital for a new prevention medication called Fremanezumab, also called TEV-48125. I would love to get my hands on the Vagal stimulator. I have been waiting 2 years.

Does it help? Imitrex is so knarley...

IP Logged

Alison Strobel Morrow
CH.com Newbie

x0|The Woodlands|USA||0|0|TX
Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 10:50am

Ha - I just posted last night asking for feedback on this device! Was the $599 what you paid out of pocket after insurance covered a little, or was that the cost before insurance?

IP Logged

dtruett
CH.com Junior

Maybe this is the last
one!

San Diego, CA
Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 2:45pm

Alison Strobel Morrow wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 10:50am:
Ha - I just posted last night asking for feedback on this device! Was the $599 what you paid out of pocket after insurance covered a little, or was that the cost before insurance?

I too am curious about both the cost of the device and puzzled as to the 30 days you mention. Why would it stop working after that time? Wouldn't it be the number of times you use it? Just wondering.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 2:56pm

Yes, it’s the number if pre-programmed treatments.

I use mine rarely these days, due to the D3 Regimen.

I bought it in 2015. It had 300 treatments when I got it. It has about 120 left and still working fine.

The cost is also determined by the number of treatments you purchase. The Electrocore website should give you the options available.

Peter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!