Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Great American Eclipse (Read 8415 times)
LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Great American Eclipse
Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:59pm

As many of you probably are aware, a very unique total solar eclipse is to occur on Monday 21 August 2017....is anybody planning on doing anything special for this, such as setting up camp in one of the 13 states within the path of totality?

Starts: Oregon · 8:46 AM PT
Ends: South Carolina · 5:04 PM ET

Bathroom trivia knowledge from miscellaneous website sources...This solar eclipse will be visible in totality within a band across the entire contiguous United States; it will only be visible in other countries as a partial eclipse. Last total solar eclipse in US: February 26, 1979. However, the previous time a total solar eclipse was visible across the entire contiguous United States was during the June 8, 1918 eclipse.

Several friends of mine who are into astronomy invited me to join them at a remote forested "path of totality" location in Central Idaho for this 2 or so minutes long event.

Hopefully some UFOs fly in some beautiful large breasted women to abduct me and take me with them, but will settle for the sky going black in middle of the morning, approximately 10:16am PDT, the moon to cover the sun completely, and all the birds will likely get very confused. I'm excited for this road trip and "participating" in this unique event.

Is anybody else planning on traveling to a destination within "the path of totality" to view....if so, which state?

-Gregg (formerly of Las Vegas)

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Great American Eclipse
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:17pm

According to some "experts", it'll be the end of the world - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Payg
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

NC
Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 11:13am

Some of my friends are trying to find a spot in SC to see the eclipse.  I'll be at work and plan on taking a "break" around 2:45 p.m. which is when it will be visible in my part of NC.  Already got the appropriate glasses to watch with.  Those things are selling like hot cakes around here! 

Your road trip sounds like a lot of fun, LasVegas.  But, sorry to burst your bubble, IF the UFOs show up they're just dropping by to pick me up and take me back home.   Grin  LOL!!

Hope you're having a great day!

Payg

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 11:28am

Supposedly I'm in a 90% zone and that's good enough for me. Hopefully I can just step outside at the proper time and enjoy.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 4:01pm

Racer1_NC wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 11:28am:
Supposedly I'm in a 90% zone and that's good enough for me. Hopefully I can just step outside at the proper time and enjoy.

Bill & Payg, here are a couple eclipse links for NC. Lewisville should be a sight of a lifetime. I miss my days in Hickory, Morganton & Lenoir. NC is very beautiful Wink

-Gregg

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2017 at 4:02pm by LasVegas »  

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 11:48pm

We are headed to Casper, WY

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 10:48am

Yep.....coming right over us here in W. Kentucky. Experts saying to expect near 100,000 people. I can't see that. They are all acting the way they did for the Y2K fiasco.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Payg
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

NC
Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 2:12pm

I heard on the news this a.m. they have put the National Guard on standby in some of these small towns where the local law enforcement would be overwhelmed with a large influx of people.  I sure hope it will be a nice, sunshiny day.  Otherwise there will be a lot of disappointed people. 

Mike NZ mentioned that some think it could be TEOTWAWKI.   I've even seen a post on FB that mentioned biblical prophesy being fulfilled.  Who knows?  I suppose we'll just have to wait and see, huh?

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 4:22pm

Jimi, if I were you, I would stay home and admire the heavens from your yard. Here is a link to a Kentucky website you may find of interest Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Several states like Oregon have huge outdoor concerts and special events scheduled for this event. Many astronomers and biblical conspiracy theorists have created vast info on websites. There is likely to be hundreds of thousands of people traveling to these "path of totality" destinations across each of our 14 states. Should be interesting news to watch on TV, Youtube, etc over the following week of the many happenings this weekend and specifically on Monday.

Most of these "path of totality" areas are very rural and will likely not have enough services for gasoline, water, food, accommodations, medical care, etc. Smart to call in the National Guard as backup.

I've seen postings on Craigslist of rural motels and Bed & Breakfasts and AirBnB's that are charging outrageous inflation prices for this weekend taking advantage of the supply/demand factor. Rooms that may normally cost $100 night are charging $800 night. Simply outrageous and people are paying it! Local residents are getting $100 night just to allow somebody to pitch a tent on their property.

I'm looking forward to participating in Central Idaho, hoping the skies are clear from recent forest fires that have produced a haze these past two weeks in Idaho/Montana. Amazing times we live in. Wink

-Gregg

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 9:25pm

There was huge interest in the eclipse over North Queensland a few years back with people flocking here from all over the world just to see it. We had 14 umbraphiles on our verandah alone.

It was such a financial success for the district one of our local politicians, a bit of a wag anytime, said we should do it every year.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Madisonville, KY
Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 10:24am

Oh yes......all of that. Told to fill our gas tanks, load up on food, stay off the highways, internet and cell phone problems etc etc. City and County officials appear to be on top of it. Etc, etc.  Days Inn(one of our hotels) was charging $600 a night. We intend to stay at home with family and watch it. Have plenty of room here at my house if anyone wants to slide down. Smiley

IP Logged

Payg
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

NC
Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 12:54pm

Wow!  Thanks, AussieBrian.  I just learned a new word....umbraphiles. Smiley 

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 6:47pm

Jimi wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 10:24am:
Oh yes......all of that. Told to fill our gas tanks, load up on food, stay off the highways, internet and cell phone problems etc etc. City and County officials appear to be on top of it. Etc, etc.  Days Inn(one

This whole eclipse mania is bordering on insanity. $600 a night? People have more money than I do.....

I'm glad I can just walk out the door....If I couldn't, I'd just do without seeing it.

Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Madisonville, KY
Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 8:43pm

It,a crazy. A friend of mine went to Kroger's and said the parking lot was full and all lanes were open at checkout. The media has caused most of this, as usual.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #14 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 2:02am

And this is not even the zombie apocalypse, LOL.

Here is some info that a friend shared with me on a very important subject relevant to watching this rare event...your eyes and protection!

See below, this is a copy/paste...

-Gregg

Are you ready for the eclipse?

Here's some information that I found yesterday:

"As an Optometrist , I want to express concern that I have about the solar eclipse on Monday, Aug 21. There are serious risks associated with viewing a solar eclipse directly, even when using solar filter glasses.

Some people will encounter the inability to control every aspect of this exercise. For instance, many solar eclipse glasses are made for adults, do not fit children well and should not be used without direct parental supervision. If your solar glasses do not filter out 100% of the harmful UV rays, if they are not used absolutely perfectly, or should there be a manufacturing defect in any of them, this will result in permanent and irreversible vision loss for any eye exposed. Just like sunburn to the skin, the effects are not felt or noticed immediately. I have a great fear that I will have patients in my office on Tuesday, Aug 22 who wake up with hazy, blurry vision that I cannot fix.

The biggest danger with children is ensuring proper use without direct parental supervision. As the eclipse passes over many places, the moon will not block 100% of the sun. Because so much of its light is blocked by the moon, if one looks at the eclipse without full protection, it does not cause pain as looking at the sun would on a regular day. Normally if you try to look at the sun, it physically hurts and you can't see anything. During an eclipse, however, it is easier to stare for a bit....and even less than 30 seconds of exposure to a partially eclipsed sun can burn a blind spot right to your most precious central vision. With solar glasses you can't see ANYTHING except the crescent of light of the sun. Kids could have a tendency to want to peek around the filter to see what is actually going on up there. One failure, just one, where education and supervision fail, can have a devastating consequence.

Please, please be safe, or watch the eclipse on television if you do not have proper protection."

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #15 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 3:07am

Making a pinhole projector is a very easy way to view an eclipse safely - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

I used this method back in 1997 to view a total eclipse, plus using the lens of an SLR camera (removed from the camera), I was able to get a really good image to watch.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #16 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 5:38am

Here's an honest question for those more knowledgeable than I when it comes to modern cameras.

I've got a digital SLR with a viewing  screen on the back so I don't always have to use the viewfinder. I can also wi-fi it to my mobile phone so I'm watching my phone while looking straight through the lens of the camera.

Would it be reasonable to set the camera on the eclipse and watch it variously on the viewing screen of the camera or live on my mobile?

Would it work at all and, if it did, would eyes still be at risk?

Eclipses are a great time for drinking beer,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #17 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 3:15pm

What if... Cool
Scientists Miscalculate, Solar Eclipse Actually Next Year? Cheesy

year/

HOUSTON, TX — After double-checking their math, scientists have announced that the total lunar eclipse predicted for August 21, 2017, will occur August 3, 2018.

“Due to a computational mishap, the eclipse we projected for later this month will actually take place late next year,” stated NASA astrophysicist Dr. Theodore Moneta at a hastily-planned press conference from Johnson Space Center in Houston. “We were a bit off.”

Dr. Moneta explained that in calculating the date of the eclipse, scientists utilized a complex formula involving geocentric ephemeris for the Sun and Moon, various parameters, constants, and the Besselian elements, but along the way an error went unnoticed.

“In layman’s terms, we forgot to carry the one,” explained Moneta, a mistake that has plagued 12-year-olds in 7th grade math for centuries.

“This is an embarrassing day for both science and mathematics,” he added.

For officials in those states situated within the eclipse’s path of totality preparing for an influx of visitors in the next few weeks, the NASA announcement came as a shock.

“It’s disappointing,” stated Matt Mead, governor of Wyoming, upon hearing the news. “Obviously, the NASA nerds really dropped the ball on this one.”

However, Mead felt that Wyoming would be less affected by the altered date than other locales due the Cowboy State’s inherent awesomeness.

“A visit to our state is spectacular with or without a once-in-lifetime astronomical occurrence,” said Mead. “Wyoming doesn’t need an eclipse to shine.”

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #18 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 10:53pm

Hi Brian,
Found this article that might be of assistance to you.
-Gregg

Photographing the solar eclipse: What you need to know

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #19 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 6:37am

Thanks Gregg. I looked at some other sites, too, and was very surprised to see that the risk wasn't just to eyes but may well have cooked the camera into the bargain.

I wish clear skies and safe viewing for all,

Brian down under.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #20 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:01pm

Yeah Brian, I was surprised to read that also about possibly cooking the camera. Suppose if there is one thing in life that is most extreme, it would be the sun and not to question it, and after residing in Las Vegas 25 years i've learned only to risk something if you are willing to lose it, as that town was not built on winners.

Sure hope the eclipse glasses my friend got us are legit. She purchased them from eclipse2017.org which they refer as "Solar Viewer" and have come with instructions that begin with a read of..."The term “Solar Viewer” refers to the special cardboard-and-polymer optical products, marked “SAFE FOR DIRECT SOLAR VIEWING”, manufactured by Rainbow Symphony of Reseda CA, and sold by Eclipse2017.org for the purpose of viewing the Sun during the solar eclipse of August 21, 2017, by or under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or above and in accordance with these Instructions for Use."

and then comes the lengthy disclosures and release and limitation of liability, etc, etc...seems kinda scary honestly, especially knowing California attorneys were involved. Roll Eyes

Regardless, i'm still looking forward to this mini road trip to the "Great American Eclipse" among all the other zombie apocalypse type traffic and think anybody going will have tremendous fun - weather and forest fires permitting.

Otherwise, there's always livestream on Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

-Gregg

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #21 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 4:27pm

LasVegas wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 10:53pm:
Photographing the solar eclipse: What you need to know

This is a good, well written article.

I suspect there will be a lot of people who will fry the sensor on their camera which will no doubt push up sales of new phones and cameras bought as replacements.

The article talks about using a pin hole to make an image. This is an effective method to project an image safely. I'd project it only white paper for best effect when you take a photo of the projection.

I've also used a small telescope pointing at the sun to project an image onto white paper which I've then photographed during partial eclipses. Aiming it isn't too easy as you MUST NOT look through the telescope. This could also be done with binoculars too, although easier if you have a tripod for them.

The article did suggest practicing first, which is a good idea as you may need to use manual settings on your camera as the automatic modes simply are not designed for eclipses where the difference in brightness changes pretty rapidly.

It did suggest taking photos of the full moon as practice, however if you do this at night you're likely to find that the moon is over exposed, especially if you include background objects in the photo. Even if taking a photo at night, if you want the moon to be properly exposed you use a daytime setting since it is "daytime" on the moon as it is directly illuminated by the sun.

The fact that our eyes can handle the differences in brightness levels is simply showing the amazing results of our evolution.

And don't spend all your time trying to get that perfect photograph, take time to take in the experience itself. It is simply incredible when day turns into night, enough to confuse birds into their nightly routine and make memories that will last beyond a photo or two.

IP Logged

Payg
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

NC
Reply #22 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 8:59pm

Well, folks.  That was AWESOME!

Got to see about 90-95% coverage and it was unbelievable the amount of light that the sun still put out for there to be just a sliver of sun showing!  When it got dark outside, it was more like a hazy day with heavy cloud cover here.  The temps really dropped and it was actually kinda comfortable in the shade (for a very short period of time that is). 

Didn't see any aliens or zombies so that was kind of disappointing.   Grin

Hope everyone was as amazed at our universe as I was!

Live Long and Prosper!

Payg

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #23 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 4:04pm

Did anyone get photos? If so, please post them for those of us who didn't get to experience it in person.

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #24 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 4:24pm

Here is was nothing more than what you would experience when a cloud passes overhead. It did make for some interesting shapes on a car hood.

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2017 at 4:26pm by Racer1_NC »  

Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!