Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
D3 Question (Read 4186 times)
steady16
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

D3 Question
Aug 29th, 2017 at 4:32am

Hi All,
  just thought I would ask about the calcium in the D3 regime, as my Dr is sending me for bloods to check my calcium levels as I told her I was doing the D3 regime...is this something to worry about if it comes back high?? Undecided

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: D3 Question
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 4:48am

Steady,

Are you taking the Vitamin K2, MK7 as part of your cofactors ?

K2 takes any excess calcium from your blood, where it could cause calcium deposits in your vascular system, and directs it to your bones, where it helps prevent osteoporosis.

This is why your Doctor wants to check your serum calcium levels. I have mine checked every 6 months and I'm always fine.

So, if you have not been taking K2, you may show a but high, but it would be nothing to worry about, as long as you start taking it straight away.

If you have been taking it, then I suspect your result will be fine.

Let us know how you get on.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

steady16
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 5:26am

Ahh I see, yes I'm taking the k2-mk7 so it should be ok, thanks for the info Smiley

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 3:24am

Batch has taken the calcium supplement out of the vitamin D regimen! because you get all the calcium required for the regimen from the Kirkland Mature Multi.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

steady16
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 8:18am

Just had a call of the Doc with my D3 level results and she said the overall level is 311, but the full results are not back yet any idea what the 25 oh level will be from that reading?

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 8:22am

Steady,

No...The different aspects of blood tests cannot be summed up into a single number.

You need the individual readings.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

steady16
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 8:35am

Oh ok, I will give her a call back next week as she hadn't had the full reading, but they rang the drs from the blood place to tell her my reading was high at 311...I will let you know what it says.  She said that my calcium levels were spot on...thanks Peter.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2017 at 8:44am by steady16 »  

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 10:19am

Steady,

You need her to tell you the measurement. So it will be ng/l or nmol/l.

Here is a conversion site.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Clusterheads try to keep their 25(OH)D at 80ng/l, which is equivelant to 200 nmol/l.

This is why the number 311 needs clarification.

Let us know what she says.

Peter.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 1:49am

Strick's me steady that 311 is nmol/L if you don't live in the US which is 124.4ng/ml, best to cut back on the vitamin D a bit to get it to 200nmol/L = 80ng/ml.

Hoppy
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2017 at 1:56am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

steady16
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 11:43am

Thanks Hoppy, I think I will do 5000 d3 a day instead of 10,000, for a couple of weeks see how I go.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2017 at 12:24pm by steady16 »  

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 6:41pm

I'm only taking 5000iu/day together with the other cofactors which keeps me around the 70ng/ml mark and the beast at bay.

Hoppy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:50pm

Hey Steady,

Make sure your doctor has a copy of the anti-inflammatory regimen CH preventative treatment protocol.

There's nothing wrong with a 25(OH)D serum concentration of 311 nmol/L as long as you remain CH pain free, your serum calcium remains within its normal reference range and your PTH is in the lower third of its normal reference range.

I'm chronic so take an average maintenance dose of vitamin D3 between 15,000 IU/day and 25,000 IU/day...  I also maintain an average 25(OH)D serum concentration of 140 ng/mL (350 nmol/L).  My PCP is comfortable with that as long as my serum calcium remains within its normal reference range...  and it has for the last three years, and my PTH stays within the lower third of its normal reference range. 

To put this topic in perspective, MS sufferers  in Brazil on Dr. Coimbra's treatment protocol take ten times the amount of vitamin D3 that we do for CH...  They also have a responding 25(OH)D serum concentration ten times higher...  In many cases over 500 ng/mL (over 1250 nmol/mL) and their serum calcium remains within its normal reference range with no evidence of vitamin D3 intoxication/toxicity. 

In many cases, the diagnostic lab assay method used to determine 25(OH)D can't measure concentrations that high so as far as Dr. Coimbra is concerned, 25(OH)D is no longer a valid bio-marker...  Instead, he uses PTH as the primary bio-marker in his treatment protocol. 

Even though the Coimbra protocol and the anti-inflammatory treatment protocol are similar with respect to the vitamin D3 cofactors, there are also two main differences...  At vitamin D3 doses of 1000 IU per Kg of body weight a day, (50,000 IU/day up to 100,000 IU/day vitamin D3 and higher), MS patients on this protocol must avoid calcium supplements, calcium rich food types (read dairy products) and drink 2.5 liters of water a day to flush any excess calcium from the kidneys.

If you're taking the Kirkland brand Mature Multi, you're getting 200 mg/day of calcium.  This is a good idea and an ideal dose of calcium to help ensure you maintain a healthy bone mineral density.  It's also important to take the 400 mg/day magnesium.  That give us a 2 to 1 magnesium to calcium supplement intake ratio.

Hope this helps...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

steady16
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 3:46pm

Thanks Batch, I'm just trying to get it right at the min, I'm not taking enough omega 3 so I need to up that and ive not been taking the vit A in the regime either so that's now on order, I also need to up my magnesium too.  I'm just waiting for my delivery...I'm still getting the clusters and I'm using the sumatriptan injections...still waiting for my oxygen too...im going to ring the drs in the morning to see if they have received a letter from my neuro to give me the oxygen...they never rush do they.  I now use the aqueous  nasal spray for my Rhinitis and its getting better(I'm sure that doesn't help with my clusters)... hopefully I will get there soon Smiley

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 1:03am

Steady,

What I would try at this point is a week to 10-day course of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg before bed.  It that doesn't reduce the frequency of your CH, I would bump the dose to 50 mg before bed.  This has worked very effectively for me and many other CHers during high pollen count seasons.

It turns out that most of us are battling allergic reactions most of the time.  These can be sub-clinical, i.e., no outward or obvious symptoms...  but the allergic reactions are still there causing mast cells to release a flood of histamine...  The histamine in turn, triggers neurons within the trigeminal ganglia to release calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), a nasty protein that triggers neurogenic inflammation and the pain we know as CH...

It gets worse...  The CGRP triggers mast cells to release more histamine so we end up with a circular chemical chain reaction that continues for up to two hours until one or more of the reactants run out and the CH ends... for now...  After working with a number of CHers taking Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) to stop their CH over the last two years, I'm convinced the histamine-CGRP circular chain reaction is the primary reason why CHers are refractory to CH preventatives.

Diphenhydramine is a first-generation antihistamine that crosses the blood brain barrier to block H1 histamine receptors on neurons throughout the brain and in our case as CHers, neurons within the trigeminal ganglia...  Blocking the H1 histamine receptors with a first-gen antihistamine stops/prevents the circular chain reaction and that enables vitamin D3 to do its thing with genetic expression to prevent our CH.

Hope this helps...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!