Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Checking in.. (Read 4855 times)
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Checking in..
Aug 31st, 2017 at 4:14pm

I've been off the computer pretty much the last few months, and am trying to catch up on here.

I got down bad... and ended up having to have my hip replaced. Am getting back to some sort of "normal" now and can drive some, but can't sit at the computer for any length of time.

Went for my checkup at the neuro's yesterday and he gave me a new med (gave me samples) to abort. ERGOMAR - it's sublingual and Ergotamine Tartrate. Haven't had to use any "yet" so I'm not sure how it works. He said it helps his migraines (and he HATES imitrex).

Anyhow if anyone has tried this, let me know. I think it's a take-off on cafergot.

Anyhow, so much news here to catch up on, but I'm trying.  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Re: Checking in..
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 4:59pm

Hi Barb,
Hip replacement is a doozy, wishing you a speedy recovery. One step at a time.  Wink

I was prescribed Ergomar for CH's a couple dozen years ago and recall it WAS helpful. Wink

Is your area affected by Hurricane Harvey?

Not much activity on this website anymore, so catching up should be much quicker than years ago. Great to read your words! Wink
-Gregg

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 6:32pm

Hiya Barb....figured you musta been up a stump to be quiet for so long. But great to see you again. Keep workin that hip...it gets better with activity (my 90+ yr old step dad had both done... 1 yr after the other...they had him walking the next day...both worked pretty good.)

Surprised to hear of Eromar. I used that 30 yrs ago...tasted bad and didn't work...but only one way to find out. There must be a new manufacturer because I heard they discontinued...best you could do was find a compounding pharmacy....

Best

Jon
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2017 at 6:33pm by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 7:11pm

Hey Barbara,

Delighted to hear from you. I was just thinking about you the other day when I saw the news on the floods.

Great to hear you're getting back to normal.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 9:26pm

Our area isn't having much fall out from the Hurricane, but I've got cousins, an aunt and lots of friends down there. From what they're saying it's really bad.

Everyone has checked in except for the aunt and she lived in Dickerson and it totally flooded. I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear something about her.

Rosa Murphy has been keeping us pretty well informed about the goings on down there. Her house wasn't flooded and she didn't lose power so she was one of the lucky ones.

M D Anderson looks like it's sitting in the middle of a lake. Some of the hospitals have had to close because of flooding or loss of power(even the generators went out).

Anyone got a few extra prayers they're not using - Houston could use a bunch of them.

I've been glued to the TV -- it's something you don't want to see, but you can't turn away.

And the hip is doing good. They had me up and walking within a few hours and now it mostly aches rather than the hurt (sometimes it hurts). It's just been a "long" recovery and I have NO patience at all. My therapist told me to slow down on the exercises (I was doing them more times a day than she told me to). Right now my main thing is getting my energy back and getting back to work. My clients would appreciate that. ☺

There's a place on FB for CH and I do see a few ch.com buddies there from time to time. But those people are starting from square one.. We've spent almost 20 years going thru what they're just starting at now. Mostly us "oldies" from here tell them if they want to know something come over here, but.. what can I say.. It's just a whole different bunch over there. This is "home".  Smiley

Right now I'm going to wind up this day and try to find a comfortable spot and get some sleep. Ya'll have a PF night now ya hear... Kiss Kiss

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 9:38pm

Great to hear from you again. Like others I'd been hoping you'd check in soon with all the terrible weather we're seeing on the news.

Hope the hip recovers soon. But don't over do it. I've heard several times from people that are involved in organizing physio that people either under do or over do what they have been told to do, with both not giving the best results.

But still I love the attitude that you're doing all you can to bounce back from it and take charge of doing so. After all, that is what we all have to do to get on top of CH.

Stay dry and mobile!

IP Logged

dennisoc
CH.com Veteran

Conroe tx
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 9:27pm

Dearest Barb
The water has receded and I am able to travel.I'd be more than pleased to cum up there and give yer hip a workout that you will never forget.

Wage Peace
dennisoc dennis o'connor  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 7:10pm

Hi Barbara, glad to hear your up and about again.
I was on Migral for donkey years then Cafergot! Both worked well for me if I caught it in time, otherwise like imitrex tablets it would take 20mins before kicking in. You can no longer get Migral or Cafergot here down under! They were both taken off the shelves years ago.

Hoppy
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2017 at 7:16pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Payg
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

NC
Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 10:03pm

Hi Barbara D,
New member, Payg, here.  I was just wondering the other day if someone would post from TX to let us know how they were doing.  Glad you are recovering well and that you didn't see any major issues from Harvey.  I have an Aunt and cousins in Spurger, TX.  They didn't have any flooding in their area.  Thank goodness!  Like you, I was glued to the news feed for days watching the rescues.  Hope you've heard good news about your Aunt. 

Let me also agree with you on the CH FB pages out there.  I guess the "younger" generation will have to figure out all over again the questions/problems that you guys have already posted, chewed over, discussed and solved through this forum.  I'll just chalk it up to my good fortune in realizing that the real knowledge could be found here.

Hope things continue to go well for you.

Best Wishes,
Payg    

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:33am

Hi, Barbara. Been wondering about your whereabouts and whatchadoin'. Glad to know you are still out there watching out for us. Hope the hip healing goes well.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 8:41am

Hi Barb,
I used all the forms of ergotamine, tablets, sublingual, and inhaler.  None worked very well for me.  Lots of cold fingers and toes and Docs yelling at me for taking too much but when a CH hits you just don't care.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:31pm

Bob,

The cafergot always worked better for me than anything else and then we couldn't get it.

So now I'm not wishing for a hit, but if one does hit, I'm trying the ergomar and keeping my fingers crossed.

It's been several years since I had a bad hit (since I started the D3 - almost 4 years ago), but still have the migraines (ain't that what wimmens is supposed to get  Smiley)

Kiss

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 10:29pm

I used to get quite good results from the ergotomines but then a neuro gave a terrible overdose, not recommended, and that was the last time I saw anyone in the medical profession regarding CH.

Best move I made.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #13 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 8:14am

Wishing you a very speedy recovery Barbara.  Take care.

IP Logged

Happy Pappy
CH.com Sponsor

Finer than frogs hair!

Ft Loudon, PA
Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 12:48pm

😘 miss you! Hope you are recognizing quickly!!

We will all go to HEAVEN we have been to HELL! -(Personal Quote)  They say this will only make me stronger but I did not ask to be SUPERMAN

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!