Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster Headaches and Aromatherapy (Read 1727 times)
Woodiebob
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cluster Headaches and Aromatherapy
Oct 1st, 2017 at 11:41pm

My abbreviated Bio:  Onset of Cluster Headaches in 2011 at age of 64. Preventive medications Verapamil and Lithium Carbonate. Treatment medications: Migranal, O2 and Ergotomine. Normal start at 2:30AM and last about one hour. Intensity ranges from pain level 6 to 10 with most at 8-9. Since June 12, 2017, have been using aroma therapy about 16-20 hours/day with NO headaches.

I have been keeping a Cluster Headache Log of all activities and therapies since April 2016, so I can know with exact certainty when I have had CH activity.  I cannot over-state the importance of keeping a log book for many reasons, including your doctor.

My wife decided to try Aromatherapy because one of her friends was telling her all about the benefits.  Personally, I thought it was pretty much of a joke but chose to be quiet and preserve the peace.  With the exception of on 4 week period since 2011, I have endured 4-5 CH per month, year round, and with one period of several months with 13-16 CH per month.  I was beside myself with the pain.  I had a CH on June 12, 2017 and she started the Aromatherapy on June 14th.  (I have continued my Verapamil and Lithium Carbonate during this time.)  Since that date, I have been Cluster Headache Free !!!!  I have no idea if the AR is the reason for the relief or if this was just one huge coincidence, but I am betting that the AR has something to do with this extended period with no CH.  My Neurologist is not certain but believes that the oils may be coating the nerve endings.

I rotate between Purification, Thieves, Lavender, Peppermint and Eucalyptus, but I am not sure if it matters.

I hope to hear from anyone that has tried Aromatherapy, or will try it, and what your results are.  As for me, we have AR Diffusors running about 20 hours out of 24 hours per day.  Please let us all hear from you. 

Thank you.

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2017 at 11:58pm by Woodiebob »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Cluster Headaches and Aromatherapy
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 9:43pm

G'day Woodie, welcome, and I've dabbled a little in aromatherapy meself at the insistence of She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed who did a course in it and now makes her own skin products and that other lady stuff I don't begin to understand.

I found no perceptible results from feverfew, peppermint or lavender (save a break from the nagging after I entually gave it a try) and there was another one I can't remember that proved only that the pain scale should go up to about 60 instead of stopping at just 10!

Either way you've little to lose by trying it and ClusterHeads everywhere would love to hear your results.

Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes!

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:50pm

Hi and welcome Woodie

I see you've got both verapamil and lithium as your preventives. How effective are they? Normally only one is used at once, unless neither by itself is too effective. What doses are you using?

I'd also look how many of us are using vitamin D3 very effectively, with it benefiting over 80% of people who have tried it, with many going pain free for multiple years (5+ for me).

Read about it at - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

You're spot on with using a log book to chart CH. It can be a huge help to doctors.

I don't recall people having any success with aromatherapy, but you never know what you might find, especially if you've got it linked back to your CH log book. Fingers crossed that you may discover something that works consistently. If so, shout out about it, so we all benefit.

Or if you find a combination that makes CH worse, let us know that too.

IP Logged

Woodiebob
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2017 at 10:48am

Thank you for your insights.  I am going to read the D3 article right away.

Verapamil 240 in the evening and Lithium Carbonate 300 twice per day.  Previously, I was having 4-5 CH / month with the meds.  In April 2016, I had a little burp with my heart and the Cardo took me off the Verapamil.  Within a about ten days, I jumped to about fifteen CH / month.  I immediately put myself back on the meds but the attacks continued with the meds for over six months before starting to decline slightly.  And then in Jun 2017, my stint started with the aromatherapy and none since.

In all seriousness, when choosing between 15 extreme CH / month and potential heart problems from the Verapamil, I chose the Verapamil.

I have found absolutely no information relating to Aromatherapy and CH.  My remission may be a simple coincidence, and that is why I am asking for input.  For the first time in over five years, I am going to bed without fear.

But it may just be a coincidence.

IP Logged

Woodiebob
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2017 at 10:56am

Brian, thank you for your comments.  I, too, "accepted" AR to appease Her Ladyship.  I thought it was a joke, much the same as I feel about many so-called treatments.

I have no reason for my choice of essential oils other than THIEVES and PURIFICATION.  Those are supposedly linked to masking bacteria and such.  (That is what I was told)  The only one that I tried and hated was STRESSAWAY, which had me bouncing all over the bed instead of sleeping.  I think PAINAWAY may also be in that category.  My bride got talked into buying a box of 24 different essential oils and we ended up giving away all but the five.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!