Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
10yrs just found this page last week. (Read 4786 times)
Trent
CH.com Newbie

Gratefull

Edmonton Alberta Canada
10yrs just found this page last week.
Oct 28th, 2017 at 3:45pm

Hello all,

Can't believe I haven't found this earlier I must say that I've learned more in the last 5 days than the past 10yrs.   Thank you so much for providing your experiances and knowledge.  I have been 100% alone in understanding and dealing with CH.   I was just diagnosed last fall after countless doctors, and finally with the help of my detailed diary got in to a Neuoroligist.  At which point even knowing that I legit had something was groundbreaking news. 

I am from Edmonton Alberta, I get episodic CH, about once every 9 months for about 4-6 weeks.   I'm currently in week 5 of this cycle, so here's to hoping I'm PF by next week.  Last cycle and this one I was prescribed zolmitripan, and have only used that to abort, which works better than nothing most of the time for me.  Also my current doctor knows nothing about CH, so after the Neurologist prescribed them at start, current doctors just signed refills.

After reading alot of past posts here and on Cluster Busting I used the information and tried to get prescribed O2, you'd think I asked to buy a bomb.   I was told that he would never prescribe, and said that he only used official channels for research studies so would not accept the article included in Oxygen.    I was pretty upset.   I now booked an appointment with Nero who diagnosed but not till December.   

As I am so close to the end of current cycle (fingers crossed) I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do for this cycle.  One option is just status quo, keep taking Tripan.   Another is break away from Tripan for 5 days to try Busting, (I have reason to believe this will work)but cycle may be over before.  And with the lead time the D3 regiment takes not sure if will help before CH cycle is over.

My plan going forward:
Get baseline blood work done as per Batch D3 regiment
Get setup with O2, welding or prescription
Get all vitamins required for D3 regiment
Get MM.

Other relevant info,
Lived in Loas for 2 years,  MM grew in fields by my place and I was CH free from late 2009-early 2011, always thought it must have been the humidity.

Forever grateful

Trent
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2017 at 4:06pm by Trent »  

Trent.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: 10yrs just found this page last week.
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 9:27pm

Hi and welcome Trent

You're one of the many people, myself included, who came here and learnt more about CH than they had ever been told before. Just knowing that it isn't just you makes an incredible difference.

If your neuro won't ever prescribe O2, I'd simply look for another neuro who will. Make sure you ask about their experience with CH and if they prescribe O2 (where appropriate), etc.

Another option that some people have used is to get welding oxygen and to use that instead with them reporting excellent results.

For busting I'd hop over to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register where they have lots more experience in this area and they can answer questions galore.

Vitamin D3 has a variable lead time with some reporting results in a day or two, whilst for others it can take longer. So don't rule out D3.

I hope you are successful in your quest to get on top of your CH soon.

IP Logged

Trent
CH.com Newbie

Gratefull

Edmonton Alberta Canada
Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 9:24am

Thanks Mike,

It was my regular doctor who won't prescribe the O2, I'm hoping my Nero will, but earliest appoint is December.   From there I will try to get the O2 and blood work done.   Also will try and source a doctor that is more knowledgeable in CH.   

I've already had the CT scan last year at first diagnosis to rule out any other possibilities of anything major.   And over the years the typical "get your eyes checked and dental" as a source.   

I picked up the complete D3 regiment yesterday,  but without my starting 25 (OH)D level I don't know if I should load, ect.  I've decided to start at the maintenance level of 10,000iu D3.  Is this worth while without Loading?

After reading some of the alternative abort methods I tried a large energy drink at onset of CH, I'm very intune with when I'm getting them and can usually catch 15 min before.   At any rate the energy drink seamed to work.   It took some self convincing to try something new to abort rather than popping a Tripan because of risk of it not working and associated pain potential, as I'm sure your all aware. 

I'll continue to experiment with the alternates I feel comfortable with and hopefully develop an Arsenault of abort and Prevent tactics.   

Again this site and everyone's combined knowledge has been invaluable to me both in learning and emoitional

Trent

Trent.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 11:58pm

G'day, Trent, and welcome.  Those 15 minute warnings are wonderful, aren't they?  Leaves so many options open when you've been forewarned.

The oral triptans may have time to start working, many have had great success with O2 being able to get in that quickly, and for a long time I got beaut results with just an adult dose of paracetamol washed down with a serious cup of coffee.

Obviously you'll first discuss any such approach with a doctor you can trust but the early warning system can really be a weapon in its own right.

Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes!

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 1:44am

Great that you get a 15 minute warning. Most people have them come on with minimal warning, so you're lucky enough to have time to kick off aborting your CH before it really starts ramping up which should make it so much easier to control / abort.

The energy drinks are interesting and it is amazing the reaction you get when you talk to a doctor about them. Normally they seem totally against the idea, but then when you explain that the caffeine is a vasconstrictor (just like oxygen and the triptans), the taurine is a calcium channel antagonist (just like verapamil) and the carbonation means that it is absorbed quickly they soon realise that it is a valid way of aborting a headache (I've used them for CH and migraines).

You mentioned using a large one. You can try reducing the size down a bit to see what is effective for you whilst minimising the sugar overload.

Do you drink it as soon as you get the 15 minute warning or when the CH kicks off for real? Have you tried both? Which is the more effective?

For the D3, for several years there wasn't the suggestion of using loading doses and this worked well. However the loading schedule helps people their levels up a lot quicker, which normally means going CH pain free (or reduced) quicker.

You seem to be well on track to get on top with your CH, which is a massive step forward.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 2:59pm

Welcome Trent.  Your story is a fairly common one I'm sorry to say.
Hopefully you neuro will be able to prescribe 02 so you'll have it ready for next time.
One good thing about the energy drink is that if it doesn't work, you can still take your regular meds.
One sure way to get your Docs attention is to have an attack right there in his reception area.   Cheesy After 10 minutes of pacing, head banging, screaming and blubbering and upsetting all the other patients, they tend to be a bit more agreeable.  Worked a treat for me.

IP Logged

CH Brain.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 4:33pm

Ten years to find this site?
I know how you feel.
Perhaps the title of this thread speaks to the now, quite limited reach of this forum.

It's hard to find, unless you know where it is.
It's hard to see on a mobile device, and even harder to find on said devices (android & iPhone).
Reach to CHers is important.
When newbies do visit, they get a wonderful reception, but there are fewer of them in the past 5 years.
This place is important as a repository of information that streams like FB cannot provide.

I do wonder what the future holds for sites like this with slipping Google Search Engine Optimization and for the CHers who miss out because they simply cannot find this great resource with relative ease.

This site was linked to Wikipedia, but one particular A****** there by the name of "Doc James" acts as a one-man gatekeeper on the CH articles and systematically removes links to any support groups, or anything else he doesn't personally like.
He's an ER Doctor from the boondocks, so he knows CH best...

Other CH sites have tanked. Writing is on the wall for this one if it does not reach more people.
Were it not for Barry T linking me here in 2011, rest his brilliant soul, I would never have found the D3 regimen or relief. This site saved my life.
More people need easier access to it.

Ten years to find this site!  Undecided
If people are going to find support and relief, I think it's time for an overhaul.
The title of the thread is testament to that.

IP Logged

Trent
CH.com Newbie

Gratefull

Edmonton Alberta Canada
Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 6:03pm

Thanks for the messages everyone,

MAZ: I bet having an attack in the doctors office would attract some attention, haha. 

The fifteen minutes is right from mmm, I think I'm might be getting to .... OK Wow!!!.   Trouble is the shadows, (I was calling them "murmers" before reading this site), so sometimes I'll think I might get one then five minutes later turns out no.  So with the Zolmitriptan the trick was to wait long enough to know its an attack, but not so long as to be in pain waiting for it to work.   Really is a small window.   With the energy drink (5 Hour Energy) I just take it straight out of the gate.   When I do get the O2, I would probably do same.   

Brian:   I agree the page is not as easy to stumble upon as I would like, but not being diagnosed until last year, I hadn't started looking for Cluster Info directly.  I guess the title was more to say that I have been living with CH for ten years, and was just over the moon to find this place as I learned so much.   

It's empowering to have knowledge and not feel like a lab rat, try this that the other with no results. 

I have had a few very mild attacks over the last week since starting the D3 last Saturday, it feels as tho it has helped.   With the mild attacks the 5-hour energy is enough to really dull it down.  After some big ones, a Kip 2-3 is an ok day.

Trent.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2017 at 1:59am

Finding it depends a lot on how you search.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This site comes up as the first and second links (which is how I found it a few years ago just after I was diagnosed).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This has the site on the 4th page, well past how far most people would search.

Interesting info about a wikipedia editor. I used to do a lot of editing and I'll see what I can do to include links to support web sites.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2017 at 6:18am

Hey Trent,

Welcome to CH.com and to the anti-inflammatory regimen. You've made a wise choice starting it.

Regarding your question to start the vitamin D3 loading schedule or not...  I'd start loading now at 50,000 IU/day for at least 10 to 12 days. 

Rationale? If you're in an active bout of CH you're more than likely vitamin D3 insufficient/deficient i.e., serum 25(OH)D < 30 ng/mL and for sure your serum 25(OH)D is ≤ 47 ng/mL per the following normal distribution curve of baseline 25(OH)D lab tests taken by 215 CHers in the online survey before starting this regimen.

As the initial 25(OH)D serum concentration target is 80 ng/mL for episodic CHers and 100 ng/mL for chronic CHers, the longer you wait to start this loading schedule, the longer you'll likely spend in CH pain as it can and will take weeks to elevate serum 25(OH)D to these targets at a vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day.

Take care and please keep us posted, particularly if you have questions or hit a bump in the road... Lots of old hands around here with plenty of experience taking this regimen.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 2:49am

Mike NZ wrote on Nov 3rd, 2017 at 1:59am:
...wikipedia... I used to do a lot of editing and I'll see what I can do to include links to support web sites.

ded

Quote:
10. Social networking sites (such as Myspace, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram), chat or discussion forums/groups (such as Yahoo! Groups), Twitter feeds, Usenet newsgroups or email lists.

This Wikipedia rule prevents the additions of links to sites like this and similar.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 8:10pm

Wow...thanks for looking into this Mike....that's a  read and a half...and way more info about "links" than I wanted know...and didn't really understand anyway. Sooooo...this may be a stupid question
but: is it also forbidden to MENTION a site without placing a "link"?

Say..."there's an internet site devoted to and administered by cluster headache patients. Guests are welcome...archives are searchable....20 years of discussion available... no money required at any time, yadda yadda yadda. It's called (clusterheadaches.com)"?

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 11:31pm

I'm still working on it, progressing it a bit. At least, for now, it covers that there are support groups, some with internet forums / social media, with a link to OUCH. Now that page has multiple links.

And the rule is "...normally to be avoided...", so to my mind that is very different from an explicit "MUST NOT" type rule, so it may be permissible.

However this sort of thing is precisely why the vast majority of the editing work is being done by a relatively small number of people.

Anyone else is more than welcome to help improve the CH entry there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!