Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Cycle - Different symptons esp with Melatonin (Read 1676 times)
jayz99999999
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New Cycle - Different symptons esp with Melatonin
Nov 1st, 2017 at 5:32pm

Just started a new cycle after 4 PF years.  Have had cycles for 20 years and up until the last 4 years have been pretty regular.  Daytime/nighttime hits.   6 to 8 weeks per episode.
Have been taking kudzu for the last few cycles with decent success.
This cycle has been very different.   Much weaker headaches and traditional triggers like flying and napping haven't been absolute triggers.
Have been taking kudzu and d3 has limited the pain/frequency.  Feels like cycle might be ending after 2 weeks.   Took melatonin one night, ended up with worst headache of the cycle that lasted 5 hours.  I wonder if melatonin makes things worse for certain folks.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: New Cycle - Different symptons esp with Melatonin
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 7:32pm

Hi and welcome Jayz

With vitamin D3 are you using the latest version? Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I've not heard of anyone reporting that melatonin made things worse. It could have been pure chance that you took it and also got a bad CH or not. If you are feeling brave, you could try it again and see what happens, although a 5 hour CH will have been brutal so I understand if you don't.

Do you have anything to abort CHs? Oxygen or imitrex (sumatriptan / imigran)?

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 4:03pm

Hi Jay,
My experience with Melatonin during cyce is that it is helpful. I use it as intended, a sleep aid.

We all know the overwhelming burden of being woken up by the beast, often at same time as night/day prior.

What I do is take a higher than normal dosage 12mg to 15mg of Melatonin about 45 minutes before I go to bed and found the grogginess effect of the Melatonin makes the attack seem less severe. I then will go straight to my O2 tank ready bedside and hyperventilate at 25 lpm. To each their own.

One thing to warn about taking such high dosage of Melatonin is you might be extra groggy when you awake for the day, which I personally do not like; but the trade-off of grogginess vs a high KIP attack is in my opinion, well worth the trade-off.

Experiment on your own, maybe keep a journal to document and look back on after a week or so and compare, etc to determine what you find most helpful. PF Wishes! Wink
-Gregg

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 11:08am

Hi Jay,

I hope your cycle has ended as you had hoped. The d3 you are taking may be responsible for the weaker headaches. It has that effect on me, as well as other changes--like longer lasting, but milder attacks, and even changing sides. I have been a fan of melatonin for a long time. There have been lots of posts about it on this forum going back years if you're interesting in reading about others' experiences.  Melatonin is a hormone which has many therapeutic effects. I have found the delayed release version useful for CH cycles. It makes it easier to get back to sleep after a nighttime hit. Melatonin has also been found to suppress stomach acid production, and I use it for that as a natural approach for nighttime acid reflux. I don't recall anyone posting about Melatonin having a negative effect on CH intensity, but I'm interested to hear if you have found that to be the case. 

Take care,

Patti

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!