Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
More Evidence Of THC’s Anti-Migraine Effect (Read 2281 times)
Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
More Evidence Of THC’s Anti-Migraine Effect
Nov 15th, 2017 at 2:51am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
Researchers from Washington State University injected allyl isothiocyanate (AITC), which been shown to mimic migraine-like pain in rodents, into a group of rats. The pain caused by the AITC restricts certain behaviours, such as wheel-running.

The experiments indicated THC administered immediately after the onset of headache prevented AITC-induced reduction of wheel running. However, this anti-migraine effect was absent if THC was administered 90 minutes after AITC microinjection.

I wonder if it may help with CH too?

People have posted here multiple times about using marijuana and have been told that it is a vasodilator so it isn't likely to help. I wonder if we were giving them the best advice?

IP Logged

Trent
CH.com Newbie

Gratefull

Edmonton Alberta Canada
Re: More Evidence Of THC’s Anti-Migraine Effect
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 10:25am

Before Diagnosed with CH, I tried the MJ a lot thinking they were regular headaches.   I never found it to work, and in some cases possibly make it worse.

As for your run of the mill regular headache, I think it works.

Trent.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 1:51am

One RCT registered in clinicaltrials.gov using a Cannabinoid as the intervention for headache disorders completed in 2005.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
nabidiol+OR+Cannabis&rank=1

A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-blind, Parallel-group, Placebo-controlled, Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability Study of Dronabinol MDI in the Acute Treatment of Migraine Headache

Key Terms:
Cannabinoid Receptor Agonists
Cannabinoid Receptor Modulators

No evidence of efficacy...

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 5:06am

I've corresponded with three people over the years on just this subject.

One said he couldn't go within coo-ee of marijuana while in cycle because it was an horrific trigger for him.   Another said he thought it was quite a help but he was a bit of a druggie,  too,  so I'm not real sure.

The third was a young woman who rarely touched the stuff otherwise but found it could really help if she inhaled a small amount at the absolute first hint of a hit  -  much like a Red Bull works so well for so many.

Hardly scientific evidence,  I know,  but it certainly doesn't rule THC out as a possible help for some who must live this nightmare.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 9:56am

AussieBrian wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 5:06am:
...she inhaled a small amount at the absolute first hint of a hit...

"What, like shoving a blowfly up your nose?"
Crocodile Dundee (1986)

Sorry... I couldn't resist using a bit of Aussie humor...

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 3:57am

Most marijuana is high THC, and has little or no CBD. These are two very different molecules. CBD acts on the serotonin receptors, while THC does not.

I do not know if CBD helps with CH's, but there is a rationale to suggest it might even if we accept the idea that THC and most marijuana on the street does not help. The standard wisdom that all cannabis does nothing useful or triggers should be re-examined. The high THC strains need to be considered separately from the high CBD strains, they are two different medicines.

I've read of folk that use CBD oil and others that use 10mg CBD patches for their headaches.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2017 at 4:24am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!