Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Statdose Injector (Read 2024 times)
69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

Statdose Injector
Feb 1st, 2018 at 5:58pm

23 year sufferer, 14 yrs. chronic. For quite some time I've been using partial doses by taking apart the capsule on the Statdose refills. Fairly easy and useful. My recent refill is a new delivery method from TEVA. Looks pretty well protected and MacGyver proof. Has anyone here received these and had success pulling them apart for partial doses? Thanks so much. Y'all have been so helpful over many years.

IP Logged

Shecom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Canada
Re: Statdose Injector
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 4:43pm

Go to the pharmacy and get insulin syringes and unload the imitrex into the syringe. This is how I have been doing it since I can’t the individual vials anymore.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:10pm

69 Strat,
Surprised not many replies from those who are familiar with desperation to do desperate actions such as what you are unfortunately dealing with...

Several years ago when the manufacturer changed the design of this Statdose injector I (and many other CH'ers) were faced with your dilemma. I have ripped those things apart before, very carefully not to disturb the quality of medicine with possible small shreds of plastic or glass. This is timely process and not recommended to do while during attack. Strongly recommend you prepare this makeshift concept in advance between hits!

Use needle nose pliers, multi-tool knife, and patience while twisting and turning to rip it apart and retrieve the Imitrex. Then very carefully pour Imitrex into insulin syringe and inject mg dosage as desired into stomach, shoulder, etc.

In future, suggest you request prescribing doctor for Imitrex vials and insulin syringes to achieve 2mg or 3mg dosages opposed to the full and often not needed 6 mg dose.

Good Luck! Wink

-Gregg

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:23pm

....a MOST excellent post by brother Gregg...I would only add that besides requesting vial script from Doc.... you ask the pharmacy for same. Will never forget the day I was handed a box of vials instead of the statdoses prescribed and asked why?! Pharm looked at me like I was sloooooow....and said..."it's the same thing, same price...what's the problem?" I said what about injectors...and he handed me a box of Insulin syringes (at which point I SHUT UP!). This was a few years ago so maybe things have changed...but I'd try more than a few pharmacies before I gave up.............

Best

Jon
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:25pm by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Eroc
CH.com Junior

CH.com helped me!

Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 7:25am

I built a relationship with the lead pharmacist at my local Walgreens, and he basically orders me what ever I need or request.  Including vials.  I just had to sit down and have a conversation with him.  The pharm techs arent really able to make decisions on what is ordered.  Additionally Imitrex is a very high margin product for them so typically they are more than happy to order what you request as long as there is a scrip to back it up. In addition to the vials I still stock the statdose injectors because they are easier to transport when I am out of season. 

Good luck,

Eric

EHanson1980  
IP Logged

69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 6:56pm

Thanks so much. Great advice all! These new ones are the same dispenser as an Epi pen. Pretty well built. I'll go after the vial suggestion with my neuro and pharmacist. Both are top notch.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 2:04pm

Google:  cluster headaches splitting injections.
There's a guy who shows you how he does it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!