Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inspiration (Read 2261 times)
Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Inspiration
Mar 14th, 2018 at 5:56am

Hello all,

If you ever need inspiration on how to deal with your Clusters, look no further than Stephen Hawking, who died today, some 50 odd years after a Motor Neuron diagnosis. He certainly had a full and productive life.

Don't let the Beast define you.

Best,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Inspiration
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 5:39pm

After he was diagnosed he was told that he had less than 2 years to live. But he still went out and found a PhD to do which takes around 3 years to complete.

The physics work he was able to do was simply incredible for anyone, no matter how skilled and gifted they are, with his work often requiring the manipulation of pages full of highly complex equations. Doing so is amazingly complex to do if you have a pen and paper (or PC) to write the equations down. In contrast, he did this all in his head! The nearest I can think to compare this to is remembering say 100 phone numbers in your head and adding up the total of any with a 5 as the fifth digit (which is a simple mathematical step).

He was able to challenge what is "accepted wisdom" in areas and turn out solutions that were later validated, especially around black holes which is an area where physics becomes incredibly complex (even for those with PhDs).

His achievements are off the scale for any one person to have achieved, but doing so with his medical issues just makes it even more incredible.

He will be counted as one of the titans in physics for a long time to come.

As Peter mentioned, he didn't let his health define him, he made his life define what is possible.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 11:32pm

My thoughts too!
I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realisation that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.

Stephen Hawking
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2018 at 3:45am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:24pm

Hoppy wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 11:32pm:
My thoughts too!
I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realisation that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.

Stephen Hawking

Disagree....I'm smarter than a lot of people I know.....so what...doesn't make my opinions any more right than theirs on articles of FAITH. Blessings to Dr Hawkings...the man's got an opinion...

Mine?....the mind of man is SO complex it cannot be random. While I believe in evolution and the T. Jefferson idea of a "watchmaker"...or Einsteins "God does not play dice with the universe"....alligators have been around since the dinosaurs.....have yet to see one write a sentence.....

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 10:37pm

jon019 wrote, Disagree....I'm smarter than a lot of people I know.....so what...doesn't make my opinions any more right than theirs on articles of FAITH. Blessings to Dr Hawkings...the man's got an opinion...

Like you say, "the man's got an opinion", but millions more around the world think the same.

Hoppy

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:58am

Hoppy...blessings my brother!...TRULY....and it don't have nothin' to do with religion!....bwwwwwaaaaaaahahaha...

"Faith"  has nuttin' to do with numbers or opinions...nun of us REALLY  know...but we will surely find out...............................

Best

Jon
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:59am by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 7:19pm

jon019 wrote, "Faith"  has nuttin' to do with numbers or opinions...nun of us REALLY  know...but we will surely find out...............................

And that's for sure, although I once read of a well known Aussie "Kerry Packer" who was pronounced clinicly dead after a heart attack and then came back to life, and when asked what the experience was like, said, "theirs nothing f---ing out there".

Hoppy

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2018 at 11:07pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!