Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
toothache trigger?? (Read 2918 times)
jckgales
CH.com Junior

One headache at a time

Chesaning MI
toothache trigger??
Mar 26th, 2018 at 12:30pm

Hi everyone,
  Its been awhile since I've posted. mostly because headaches under control with 02 and triptians. Well I went to dentist and have an Cry exposed root/nerve right where the pain in my cheek radiates. Now I've had these things for years but lately they have been HORRIBLE. 02 only works for 5min. triptian 50/50 800 ibupropen and nothing helps. I'm at my end!!
Anyone have relief from a tooth extraction? I'm not sure if tooth is triggering or both. Thanks for any info.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: toothache trigger??
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 3:48pm

Over the years a lot of people with CH have had teeth removed and it hasn't helped their CH, with the problem being linked to the trigeminal nerve which is where the pain in a CH originates from. If you look at the diagram on the Wikipedia page you'll see that there are multiple branches from the nerve which includes ones around the jaw / teeth area.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

So that is why people can think that teeth are the problem when they are not.

On the other hand, since you've an exposed root / nerve, this will almost certainly be resulting in an inflammatory response which may be helping trigger CHs (just as the D3 recipe is a good anti-inflammatory and it prevents CHs).

One or both of these factors could be in play, however I'd work with your dentist to get the exposed root / nerve fixed up and see if that helps.

How are you using your O2? Have you read the oxygen page (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register It is essential to have a non-rebreather mask plus a high flow rate of at least 15lpm, with higher being better, plus getting onto the O2 as soon as possible.

Most pain killers are fairly useless for CH and in using them often (more than 12-14 times a month) you are risking medication rebound headaches.

You've not mentioned using any preventives, like verapamil, lithium or topamax. Are you using any?

Have you looked at how many here use vitamin D3 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) with many going CH pain free for years (including myself)?

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 2:33pm

What Mike said. You say nothing about preventatives. Abortives only are a poor treatment for CH. Please look seriously at the Vit D regimen. It can only improve your health overall if it does nothing for your CH.

jle

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

jckgales
CH.com Junior

One headache at a time

Chesaning MI
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 6:53pm

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply...I am working with my dentist and hopefully it will help. It has calmed down somewhat. I have been on verapmil 240 mg for years. 02 15 lit with a non rebreather mask and use maxalt when needed. O2 is my majic bullet. Just got on Medicare and found out it's not covered.😡😠. Going to try an fight it. Also vitamin D3 just upped to 2000mg/day. Been chronic since it started approx 15 years ago. This site was and is a blessing. I can always get info or vent! Hope everyone is hanging in there. Thanks Jackie

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 12:30am

No!

IP Logged

jckgales
CH.com Junior

One headache at a time

Chesaning MI
Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 9:15am

No? Medicare? I was upset to say the least.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:24pm

jckgales wrote on Apr 12th, 2018 at 6:53pm:
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply...I am working with my dentist and hopefully it will help. It has calmed down somewhat. I have been on verapmil 240 mg for years. 02 15 lit with a non rebreather mask and use maxalt when needed. O2 is my majic bullet. Just got on Medicare and found out it's not covered.😡😠. Going to try an fight it. Also vitamin D3 just upped to 2000mg/day. Been chronic since it started approx 15 years ago. This site was and is a blessing. I can always get info or vent! Hope everyone is hanging in there. Thanks Jackie

Good to hear that there has been some improvement at least.

A 240mg dose of verapamil is lower that most people need, so there may be potential to increase this and get better results once you've talked this over with your doctor.

A 15lpm regulator can work better, but many people find a higher flow rate works even better with them using less O2 as a result which drops costs and gives faster aborts too.

With D3 most people are using about 10,000IU a day plus the other co-factors which are needed for D3 to work well, so I'd make sure you're covering that off, with the info at -
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 6:24pm

Hey Jackie,

A toothache can be a CH trigger, but not why most would think.  A toothache is an infection and infections cause inflammation and an immune system reaction.  Both are underlying triggers of CH. 

2000 IU/day vitamin D3 is good for good bone health, but it won't do diddly for CH...  You need vitamin D3 at 10,000 IU/day plus Omega-3 fish oil and the vitamin D3 cofactors or  much higher loading dose of vitamin D3 if you've had the lab test of your serum 25(OH)D and it's less than 30 ng/mL... If you haven't had this lab test, see your PCP and get it.

Check your PM InBox... I've sent you some additional information.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

jckgales
CH.com Junior

One headache at a time

Chesaning MI
Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 10:47am

Thanks for all the good info. I have most of these vitamins😊so I will print this and talk to Dr for my next labs. Also can't increase verapmil cause it dropped my BP too much. Has anyone done the vit d Omega and rest by diet?  And had any positive response? Probably too much to intake by food!
Will keep record after getting this all together. Thanks😊

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!