Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
degenerating SUNCT/cluster headache? (Read 2361 times)
KDM
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

degenerating SUNCT/cluster headache?
Apr 2nd, 2018 at 1:52pm

12 on the pain scale, behind eye socket, it literally feels like it's going to explode. Burning, stabbing of an intensity I never thought possible. And I've gone nuts as well running around like a madman all hyperactive, chain smoking and having bizarre thoughts.

This will carry on for the next 3-4 hours. I've been diagnosed with SUNCT headaches and migraine, but this is something new entirely.

Furthermore the length and intensity increase every few days. Soon I will have to be sedated I'm sure.

The thing is, I began with lower level, short attacks six years ago which have gradually increased in frequency, length and intensity every year. Consequently each year the amount of medication I have has increased. But now there is no more medication left.

So it's like I have some sort of degenerating condition where it just gets worse at an exponential rate. As far as I can tell most people have it come on out of nowhere and then it stays like that, whether episodic or chronic. This shows no signs of stopping getting worse.

Did anyone else start off with a lower level headache which got worse over a long period? Could I have some sort of secondary cause?

Even if I have the ONS or DBS surgery, I think it will just keep getting worse then that won't work anymore. My question is why does it progressively worsen, at such an alarming rate? Had an MRI of trig. nerve and brain 4 years ago and it was all ok. Are there any other causes I should think about? I've never found any individual triggers, it just keeps on worsening all the time as if there is a fire spreading in there. I'm thinking there is some sort of neurological disease behind this. Why would the nerve keep sending more and more signals out without some kind of cause? Any ideas?

Thank you for reading and good luck to you all.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2018 at 1:54pm by KDM »  

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: degenerating SUNCT/cluster headache?
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 2:10pm

KDM,

Below is a copy of a post I sent recently to someone. It may explain why to Trigeminal nerve acts up during a Cluster attack.

With Cluster Headaches, the Trigeminal nerve does not appear as abnormal on MRI scans, because it is not

“The theory is that vascular dilation causes pressure on the Trigeminal nerve, causing severe pain along the nerve path.

The cause of the vascular dilation is thought to be based in the Hypothalmus, but it is not known how or why this happens.

One of the known causes of vascular dilation is the need for increased oxygen, for example, when we exercise. Conversely, a high oxygen intake causes vascular constriction.

During a Cluster attack, the vascular constriction caused by the  high intake of Oxygen, relieves the pressure on the Trigeminal nerve and the pain subsides.

The image below should make this more clear.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It is worth discussing with your Doctor.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

KDM
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 2:41pm

Thanks Peter. I'm seeing a new neurologist/surgeon soon to discuss which operation I'm going to have so I want to gather as much information as possible.

My thought is, why would this pressure on the nerve, or any other possible cause, just continually worsen at an exponential rate? It makes no sense unless there was some sort of physical process making this bigger, stronger and so forth.

I also have increasingly low appetite, some days I barely eat. Lost a lot of weight. Never had this before on the same meds and everything. Cognitive function is more and more shot all the time. These symptoms may seem minor, but what about something like MS? Conditions like that are known to cause these things as a secondary cause, rarely, but then this headache itself is pretty damn rare.

Know thy enemy.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2018 at 2:43pm by KDM »  

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 2:54pm

Know thy enemy indeed.

I don’t know a lot about MS, but I do know that one Neurologist I went to some years ago was able to look at my MRI scan and categorically say that I did not have MS.

So, it would have shown up on your last MRI, if you had it.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 3:07am

It is fairly normal for most people who start CH for it to start in an erratic manner, with pain that whilst intense it isn't anywhere near a full scale CH, with it then morphing to the more classical CH symptoms over time.

You're asking a lot of "...what if..." type questions that we can't possibly answer as you are quite naturally really focused on your health and you're imagining the worst, which is all too easy to do.

You're working with one of the best doctors in the world in this area, Dr Manjit Matharu. Whilst we are expert CH patients, he is highly skilled and knowledgeable in this area and you need to trust his skills and experience.

Symptoms like appetite suppression and similar are quite likely to be linked to the stress and pain of what you're going through, plus potentially from the drugs you're taking.

You really need to address your questions to your doctor(s) who will be able to set your mind at ease (or try to), based on the facts they have from the various tests and your personal medical history.

Whilst CH is rare, there are plenty of people who get it, just like winning the lottery is rare, but just about every week someone does.

I really hope you get on top of your multiple headaches and get some relief soon.

IP Logged

KDM
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 7:54am

Thank you Mike.

I'm aware it's very unlikely that there is a secondary cause, it just concerns me that it continues getting worse and does not stop.

Dr Matharu is incredible, I recommend anyone travel half the world to see him. However I've been discharged from there since they have run out treatments bar ONS which has a year+ waiting list. So I've been referred to centres around the country where they will hopefully be able to get something done quicker. If necessary I'll somehow find the money to pay for something.

At the moment it's ONS or DBS that are the best options from what I can see. However I'm hoping there is some sort of experimental treatment or clinical trials I could get onto as well, since I know there is a degree of research being done into the TACs.

I've read this is most common in people 50+, having had it start at 24 is rather unlucky!

Godspeed fellow soldiers.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2018 at 7:55am by KDM »  

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 9:19pm

KDM, with respect, the idea CH waits until age 50 is part of many of the old wives tales told about it by people who should know better, but don't bother to really learn about what it is they pretend to treat. I've been around this site since the inception, and very few of the folks I've gotten to know started with CH after 50 yrs of age. I know I started somewhere around 8 or 9 years old, and I know quite a few others who started in their early teens or 20's. Some of the same ones who tell you we don't get CH until our fifties also tell us it generally ends in our fifties. I'll be 64 this year, and if I were to get off of the Vit D3 regimen and 5 MeO DALT I can assure you mine would be far worse than in my thirties rather than getting better.

Rule of thumb: If you don't hear it from a handful of CH experts or on this site, regard it with a whole shaker full of salt.

jlc

Edit to add: You will notice on the forum that there is an entire page dedicated to children and clusters.

« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2018 at 9:24pm by Callico »  

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 4:17am

As per what Callico just posted, there are plenty of people here who started CH a lot younger than 50+. Sadly there are cases where this is happening to kids, whilst this is tough enough when you've grown up to understand a lot more about the world, it is heartbreaking to try to imagine what young kids go through.

There is some really insightful data from a study by Todd Rozen et all (with Todd being one of the world experts in this area) which you can find at - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Quote:
71% had their first ever CH at 30 years of age or younger, 35% 20 years of age or younger

You only need to go back to the 1990's to find medical research describing CH as found in men with lion like appearances - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Yes, that is published research in the journal Headache.

From seeing / reading a lot about ONS / DBS I'd have ensured that I'd exhausted all possible options prior to doing those. So I'd check out Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register to understand these options better. Being in the UK, most are likely to be illegal in some way (note - I'm not a lawyer or similar), which may rule them out as an option for you.

Do you know about Pubmed? Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This is a search engine that covers the scientific / medical journals. Whilst for most papers you only get to see the abstract, this is intended to be a good summary of the full paper. It is a great place to research.

IP Logged

KDM
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 10:29am

Ah ok I must have read that somewhere. Maybe that more applies to SUNCT rather than cluster. That's why I'm here, to learn more.

I can only imagine watching your child go through this, my word.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2018 at 10:29am by KDM »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!