Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For those that use marijuana (Read 1560 times)
22yearsufferer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

For those that use marijuana
Apr 5th, 2018 at 10:36am

I have talked to my healthcare provider about smoking marijuana, they are not opposed to it!! I was a faild smoker years ago and quit about 7 years ago, so I am well aware of how it makes me feel and ALL the ways to smoke. My question is this, when you're smoking to specifically treat clusters are you smoking throughout the day or are smoking at onset? I'm going to try it and see if it helps me. After the attack I had last night that was probably the most brutal one yet I am ready to try anything!!!! I was really hoping I would pass out last night and stay out until it was gone, no such luck, I got to experience the entire hour long KIP 10 that started out as a 10 and ended as a 10, then I collapsed in to my husband! Thank God I didn't have another one after that because I am pretty sure I wouldn't have survived it! I'm going in to week 9! They do seem to be coming less often so I am hoping this is my downhill out!
Sorry for the rant..inwas just going to ask a question Sad
Again thanks for being here to listen and understand! I hope you all have a pain free day! (One day at a time)  Kiss

IP Logged

bigdaddyx3
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: For those that use marijuana
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 3:00pm

Hello.  First time that I have been on the site in a while.  I'm a 26 year CH sufferer.  I'm fortunate that my bouts hit around every 18 months and last 4.5 weeks.  In the past 10 years my frequency once the bouts begin and the headache intensity has been less severe.  For the last 3 years (only when the CHs return) I have smoked right before bed, in an effort to try get me through my "danger zone".  I get a CH almost every night within one hour of falling asleep.  Marijuana makes me VERY tired and groggy and has allowed me to make it through with only experiencing a Kip level of 3-6.  Sometimes I feel like the anxiety associated with going to sleep can be enough to trigger a CH or intensify it.  This has helped to reduce both.  "I think!"  I never tried it 10 years ago when I was taking Imitrex injections everyday once they started.  I truly hope you can find something that helps.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 5:44pm

For both bigdaddy and 22yearsufferer, neither of you have mentioned using any form of preventive, be it verapamil, lithium or topomax (or similar) or using vitamin D3 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register).

Cutting down how many CHs you get can make a huge difference.

Similarly you've not mentioned CH abortives, like oxygen, imitrex (sumatriptan) (mentioned by 22...) or even energy drinks.

I'd read through this thread - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Over the years, people have posted everything from it helping through doing nothing to making it worse, with Hoppy's post potentially explaining why.

IP Logged

22yearsufferer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2018 at 9:35am

Currently on 80 mg of verapmil 3 times daily and O2!. I've taken topamax and tried the D3, I take maxault at on set and I've tried the  imatrex nose spary.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2018 at 4:19pm

22yearsufferer wrote on Apr 6th, 2018 at 9:35am:
Currently on 80 mg of verapmil 3 times daily and O2!. I've taken topamax and tried the D3, I take maxault at on set and I've tried the  imatrex nose spary.

Most people need a higher dose of verapamil with 360mg-480mg a day being fairly typical for an effective CH prevention. I wrote a detailed post about verapamil - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

For D3 were you following the current recipe - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register ? Batch is the person who did an amazing job putting this together and is great at helping people get it to work. Give him a PM and he would love to help.

Maxalt melts work great for migraines, but they take 10-20 min to work. This is why people with CH normally use imitrex injections or nasal spray as they act in a few minutes.

For oxygen, how were you using it? We've great info at - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!