Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
imitrex injections and anxiety problems (Read 2189 times)
shadia
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Farnham Quebec
imitrex injections and anxiety problems
Apr 6th, 2018 at 6:33am

Hi there ...haven't posted for a while ...my c.h was pretty tamed but it came back with a vengeance. I was wondering about your experience witn anxiety and imitrex injection..not the feeling you get after giving yourself the shot. Here is my experience : if i am taking  one shot everyday for 5 days ..then the anxiety kicks in 24/7... i do have anxiety issues but are well controled by celexa 15 mg wich is a anti depressant.. then i start getting insomnia and having a hard time sitting still.  can anybody relate...

This to shall pass

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: imitrex injections and anxiety problems
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2018 at 4:12pm

Whilst it could be the imitrex, it might not be as it could just be the result of having CH every day for 5 days in a row.

Options you could try are to use a different abortive, like oxygen. If you still get the then it wasn't the imitrex that was causing it. I'd also look at using a preventive which could be something like verapamil, lithium or topamax, but I'd also strongly recommend using vitamin D3 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) which has been a highly effective preventive for many (including myself), which could cut out a lot or even all the CH.

Something else to consider is if the 15mg of celexa is enough when you're being heavily hit by CH. It might be enough for most of the time, but at times of additional stress (CH certainly is stressful) you may need more.

As always discuss this with your doctor(s) first, don't change medication without talking it through with them first.

Hopefully getting your CH better controlled will make a big difference to your anxiety.

IP Logged

shadia
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Farnham Quebec
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 6:39am

thank you Mike ..i already have verapamil as a preventative, plus i am on the vit d3 regimen and have o2 at home... i really think the triptan is making my anxiety worse .. i did not have a injection in 3 days now and the anxiety has gone down.. thank you for your imput, i will see my doctor shortly

This to shall pass

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 2:44pm

Hey Shadia,

How much vitamin D3 are you taking and have you had a recent lab for 25(OH)D?  It's been my experience working with CHers who don't respond to this regimen that most are not taking enough vitamin D3 or have a high enough 25(OH)D serum concentration.

If your 25(OH)D is between 100 and 120 and you're still getting hit, an allergic reaction or infection may be the spoiler allowing the CH beast to jump ugly.  If either is the case it's best to play a safe and start both Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every four hours throughout the day along with a 1000 mg of vitamin C.  If you suspect a viral infection like a cold, bump the vitamin C to 1000 mg every hour throughout the day for a total of 10 to 12 grams a day.  Dr. Linus Pauling took 18 grams of vitamin C a day and lived to 93.

Take care,
V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 8:52pm

Hi Shadia,
The agitation you mentioned could possibly be related to combining Celexa and Imitrex. Serotonin syndrome can occur when anti-depressants (SSRI's) are combined with serotonin related drugs like sumatriptan. Did the same doctor prescribe both drugs? If so, he/she would hopefully monitor you while you are using both simultaneously. It would probably be worth calling your doctor about it just to be on the safe side. Look up serotonin syndrome, and you can also check out this article. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care,
Patti
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2018 at 8:54pm by pattik »  

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:14pm

Shadia, I have experienced "big" anxiety from CH itself. And medications. There is a fine line there. 5 shots in 5 days may be too much?

Many of us split the dose of Imitrex (sumatriptan). Do you have the 6mg injections? Many ClusterHeads use only 2mgs.

A proper oxygen setup and use can abort most CH attacks, this will cut down the Imitrex. Save it for the worst.

Batch and Mike know what works, so believe them.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:18pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

shadia
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Farnham Quebec
Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:33am

thanks for your replies really ... im still feeling agitated from the use of imitrex and celexa, i havent used imitrex since a week ago but i have to take my celexa for my anxiety. I am seeing my doc on monday , i will ask for my d3 blood test . Still taking your advice Batch .. you were my savior. i think imitrex is not the right drug for me ,  i have verapamil as a preventative , and O2 as a c.h. breaker but imitrex was a savior when nothing worked .. but i am fine not taking it because anxiety is hell to.  Embarrassed

This to shall pass

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!