Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 Help (Read 1513 times)
Anthony D
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

O2 Help
Apr 12th, 2018 at 6:45am

I’ve recently had an occipital nerve block which took my headaches from 4 a day to 1!! It’s only at night and quite mild.

I’m on the vitamin D therapy also.

I’ve noticed that I can clear a mild cluster with 25 lpm and hyperventilating I’m about 10-15 minutes. I stay on for at least another 5 on lower rates. But about an hour later I’m up again with another headache. Ugh.

What gives. I’d really like to stay off triptans as much as possible since there was some worry of overuse and rebounds with that.

Any help is appreciated. What has worked for you?

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Re: O2 Help
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 9:56am

Hyperventilating does not work for me, personally. I have to stay as calm as possible, and take deep breaths, hold it, and exhale slowly. As long as I don't panic, and keep my breathing measured, I normally abort an attack in less than 10 min., staying on for 5 min. after the pain has subsided. This is all while using a flow of 15lpm (which I turn down to 12 after the pain is gone).

All I can suggest is to try a different technique? Also, you said you'd like to stay off of triptans, does that mean you are not on any currently?

I could not stay on the Vit. D therapy due to adverse effects (they increased the number of my attacks). I understand this is not common, but I've heard of it happening with a couple others.

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Anthony D
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:01pm

Since my nerve block I’ve been able to abort my mild attacks with O2 only, which is great but the headache just seems to return an hour later (after I fall back asleep). This just gets exhausting.

I could probably take a triptan and knock it completely out but I’d rather not if I can avoid it.

I have a demand valve on the way. Maybe that can help abort quicker and help me stay on it longer...

Thanks for your input

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 7:59pm

Melissa wrote on Apr 12th, 2018 at 9:56am:
Hyperventilating does not work for me, personally. I have to stay as calm as possible, and take deep breaths, hold it, and exhale slowly. As long as I don't panic, and keep my breathing measured, I normally abort an attack in less than 10 min., staying on for 5 min. after the pain has subsided. This is all while using a flow of 15lpm (which I turn down to 12 after the pain is gone).

All I can suggest is to try a different technique? Also, you said you'd like to stay off of triptans, does that mean you are not on any currently?

I could not stay on the Vit. D therapy due to adverse effects (they increased the number of my attacks). I understand this is not common, but I've heard of it happening with a couple others.

Hiya Mel...quit hiding your light under a bushel basket...your posts are missed...SIS!

There is not a word in this post I could not have written myself. Years ago..even before the D3 regimen... I used to take most of the elements....SOMETHNG...I know not what in the multi-vit I was taking INCREASED hits.....some may say "trigger" ...but that causes consternation with some.

It may be rare...I dunno...but adverse effects found me too......

Best...ALWAYS

Brother Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!