Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newly Dx- any help is appreciated (Read 5579 times)
Mcatania
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Walden, NY
Newly Dx- any help is appreciated
May 12th, 2018 at 8:52am

36 year old active male who, after being prescribed some ADHD medication to try for the first time, started to devlope one sided headaches. These quickly became raging( MRI and MRA and blood tests all negative). Triptans, oral and subcutaneous, did nothing. Currently on verapamil, topomax and predizone but the only relief was 02. Some attacks were so bad my wife had to sit on me to stop me from shacking.

I have so many questions, but I will start with these 2:
1- I think the worst of this cycle is over ( I have not had a full blown attack in 3 days) but I still have constant pressure/discomfort feeling with occasional stabbing on the cluster side that seems to be there 24/7-- is this common? Will this ever go away? Should I take anything for it or will that just cause rebound headaches.

2. Has anyone ahd any luck with the nerve stimulator? I am getting a free trial for 2 months starting monday.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: Newly Dx- any help is appreciated
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2018 at 10:52am

Mc,

Welcome to CLusterville.

Three things to say to you:

Lingering “shadows” are very common. I am chronic, so I get them everyday, all year round. My advise would be to let this cycle run its course and the shadows should dissipate shortly.

If by the Nerve Stimulator, you mean gammaCore, then yes, I have been using one since 2012. I find it effective as an abortive, if used at the first sign of an attack.
It has the great advantage of being very portable and can be used discreetly in a social or work situation.

The third thing is to ask is you have looked into the D3 Regimen as a long term preventative. It has been a game changer for me and for 80% of those using it.

Here’s a link for you to read.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Come back with questions.

Best,

Peter.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2018 at 10:53am by Peter510 »  

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Mcatania
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Walden, NY
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2018 at 12:31pm

Peter- Thanks so much. Just getting some confirmation on the shadows gives me piece of mind. This whole thing has really thrown me for a loop.

I will look into the d3 regiment but I was already on a 15k d3 with fish oil prior to onset.

So how do I know if its the verapmil and topomax that are helping or if its simply a cycle winding down? Also, when will I know if its chronic vs eposidic? If Chronic, wil. I ahve to stay on these meds for ever?

Finally, I have read a few palces that high intensity cardio is a trigger and a no no for topomax users. I am an avid road cyclist (although I have been off the bike for 6 weeks now due to this son of a b). If I cant ride I dont know what I am going to do- I work a high stress job and its my only releif valve. This whole thing is really swtarting to depress me.   

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2018 at 3:17pm

Mc,

Firstly, it would be unusual for a sufferer to start as chronic. Most people begin as episodic and only 10-15% eventually turn chronic, so try not to worry too much about it.

The medical definition of chronic cluster headache is.....

“If headache attacks occur for more than a year without pain-free remission of at least one month, the condition is classified as chronic”.

I’m afraid I know very little about Topomax, only that it is referred to here as “Dopymax”, presumably because of its soporific effects.

Equally with Verapamil, I started to use the D3 exacyly as set out in the paper I referred to, and never needed to try anything else since.

As far as increased heart rate is concerned, some say that it acts as an abortive during an attack. I have never heard it referred to as a trigger.

Regarding whether intense activity is advised while using Topomax, your prescribing Doctor should clarify this for you. He/she should also check you D Serum, or 25 (OH)D level to establish whether it is anywhere near the level we Clusterheads need to manage the attacks.

Alcohol is generally considered a trigger while in episode and I can confirm that this is certainly true for me.

Can I suggest you print the D3 paper and discuss it, together with your overall treatment regime, with your Doctor. I did this and mine agreed that we try the D3 for 2 months and if it didn’t work we would go with Verapamil.

As I said, I never needed the Verapamil.

Try not to lose heart. You have lots of options and all the help and support here that you need.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2018 at 2:32am

Mc, A couple of my past experiences, during my first few years of dealing with these monsters I tried running with great success. I couldn't figure out why they hit an hour after going to sleep (still can't) so I figured it had something to do with my metabolism slowing down for the day so the first time I ran just before calling it a night and went the whole night PF, next night no such luck but when it hit I went out and ran anyway, eyes almost shut from the pain, halfway around the block that sucker drained out of me. In time I learned the key was to get totally winded, literally gasping for air...vigorous exercise does nothing for me unless I can get winded. Hyperventilating doesn't do it either...I've tried. When I learned about oxygen it made sense, been my go to abort ever since but even o2 doesn't work every time. I've heard though that exercise can be a trigger for some people so go figure?

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2018 at 2:53am

Must have posted before I was done😜. 6 to 8 week cycles are pretty common, I've had all day nasty shadows, gone days between hits, been clobbered all night with an hour between hits followed by daytime hits during my restful parts of the day such as lunch and dinner time. But just when you think you understand the pattern it changes.  You're most likely episodic so the end is coming soon but I've never been able in 22 years to know when that is. It's just over when it's over, sometimes it goes out on a really bad hit and sometimes it's goes away with a whimper. D3 kinda works for me, O2 aborts most of time and 100 mg Imitrex cut in half taken just before sleep gets me PF through the night.   Sean

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2018 at 2:17pm

Hey Sean,

How much vitamin D3 are/were you taking and have you had your serum 25(OH)D tested?  Did you take all the cofactors including the three month course of vitamin B 50 complex?

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #7 - May 14th, 2018 at 3:44pm

Hello Batch, First day, a couple of weeks ago....50,000 and then dropped to 20,000 since. Did  50,000 again on Saturday and added the B50 complex. I'm starting to question the potency of year old D3 caps so bought fresh stuff on Saturday. Now and again been throwing in a Benadryl as I do have allergies though they've lessened over the years. I've been following the rest of course pretty much to the letter. I've had pretty good luck in the past on the D3 regime but this cycle seems to be particularly virulent. I did not do a baseline measure on my serum level.     Sean

IP Logged

Mcatania
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Walden, NY
Reply #8 - May 14th, 2018 at 3:59pm

Thanks Sean- Its a little unnerving not knowing when this crap will end (or when it will flame up again). I have not had a major attack for some 4 days- but the shadows remain every waking hour. Interestingly, I never got an attack while sleeping. Im thinking the verapmil and topmax are starting to work. I have been on a high d3/fish oil regime for years but just added in the cofactors so we will see if that makes any difference.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #9 - May 15th, 2018 at 3:18am

Whilst most people get many of their CHs overnight, there are some who rarely do so. So the not getting them whilst sleeping may or may not mean anything.

Hope the full recipe is what you need for it to start fully working.

IP Logged

mBragg
CH.com Newbie

Florida
Reply #10 - May 17th, 2018 at 4:40am

Hey Mc and all,

Welcome to the cluster club, brother.

Long time since I’ve been on this site (15+ years?). Back around 9/11? Wow. Lots of water has passed under the bridge and these boots have covered many a mile. HOOAGH...

if new DX it is probably to soon to tell if it’s chronic.

I remember I started episodic when I was 18 I think. And it would go away, sometimes for years. Been chronic for well over a decade? Now 49? Can’t remember, seems like i went chronic in OIF, or was it OEF, playing in the sandbox. OIF, yeah.

Anyway, the shadows. I’ve never been able to predict a cycle. Soon, You could go off cycle for years and just forget about it till next time. Chances are very good for that. Heck yeah.

Over the years, I’ve tried all sorts of meds. Pain meds, while they might help some of your other pains, do not seem to help CHs at all. I recommend don’t even try that route.

Sometimes I would have pretty good results at first with prescribed CH med then... it’s like the CHs FIND a way around the preventative type stuff. It’s like you just can’t kill it. Its like that sucker finds a new way and when it gets through, well, it’s just extremely pissed.

My latest is to take about 4 1 mg Cyproheptadine (children’s antihistamine - neuro prescribed 1aday for CH. BTW, my wife was also prescribed this for her migraines. Same neuro.) two or three times a day if I remember. Also immatrex injections and tabs.

Immatrex injection is gold. Save them for when you must be in public or driving or something.

CH is described as intense pain lasting seconds. Is this true for others? Without an abortive, mine can last for as little as 30 minutes to many hours. The intensity of the pain fluctuates over seconds in waves if you will that last for many hours, ramping up and down. Usually four or five bad ones for hours in a daily cycle. Need sleep. But... if I go to sleep. It’ll wake me up.

Trying to abort these days by chewing up half or one immatrex 100 mg tab. Of course, not really working. Only abortive that’s really worked for me is the immatrex injectors though they feel a bit traumatic and others kind of freak out when you suddenly pull out the ol hypo and pop yourself in the thigh and go to turning pale and red and sweating or whatever. Course they’d freak out more if they could witness a CH in fine form. Imagine if they could just feel it for a single moment...

BTW, finding out there were other people out there suffering similarly and who actually UNDERSTOOD my nightmare was a mixed blessing. On the one hand, THANK GOD, it’s not just me! THEY ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND!! Pivotal stuff. On the other hand, OMG, no one should ever have to suffer this.

Supposed to have O2, would like to try it, but I can’t ever seem to actually GET a doggone tank and the right mask, even with the pescription in my hand. Try 02. Heard good things about it.

Anyway, can’t remember (TBI). sorry. Mmmm. Ah yes, well what I take is not really working for me. Been going richter lately. I am in the shadows most all the time. Horners, head kneck and face pain, but like at maybe 50 to 80% not as bad as the full tilt boogie. So, it’s like cycling to some degree all the time with frequent bouts of super cycles mixed in for extra credit and fun.

I sometimes take BC powders as they can be somewhat helpful (probably the caffeine). I don’t recommend taking a lot of ANY kind of over the counter pain meds at once or even spread out over time, not good for you at all.

A human being can Take an amazing amount of punishment. You can get through it. I can get through it. We all can get through it. Each time. Will you be the same afterwards? Probably not. It’s life altering.

It ain’t gonna be easy But, someday, you’ll be smiling again! Just got to get there from here is all

Sorry I don’t have better advice. I just go in the bathroom to get away from everyone and sit there and rock it out best I can. Just got out of there after about 3 hours. Been getting hit really really bad hard lately. Very little sleep.

Wracked. Drained. Beat up and very very Tired. But, hey, I’m still here. So I won this one. I can probably win the next one. I don’t like to quit. Don’t quit.

Nerve Stimulator? D3? Got to research again.

Talk to others (CHers) to help you understand. Even in the middle of the night. That’ll help more than you will know.

Maybe they won’t be as long winded. LOL

Hang in there, brother.

Arrr! Oh no. Gotta go. The doggone bell just rang for me. Rematch. Sigh...

God bless all and to all a good night!

IP Logged

mBragg
CH.com Newbie

Florida
Reply #11 - May 17th, 2018 at 5:34am

Peter,

Thanks for the D3 link... have to try it.

IP Logged

Mcatania
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Walden, NY
Reply #12 - May 18th, 2018 at 11:32am

Thanks all.My clusters have seemingly gone away. But this right sided headache (3-4 out of 10) that starts the very second I wake up and lasts without remission all day long- and has been there now for 2 months- is driving me mad. I am at my wits end. its like a deep soreness in my head as well- if I sneeze or cough or move my head fast I feel it. What the hell is this!!! Dr. increased the topomax, I have the 02- but dont need it now that the bad attacks stopped. I am on the full out D3 regime for 4 days now. Taking melatonin as well. Acupuncture, essential oils, etc. Saw neuro this week- he is at a loss- he took blood work to check testosterone levels and pituitary gland check.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #13 - May 18th, 2018 at 1:34pm

Hey Mc,

Glad to hear the big hits have eased off.

2 questions for you.....

Did you have an MRI ?
Did your Doctor arrange a blood test for your D serum levels ?

Peter.

IP Logged

Mcatania
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Walden, NY
Reply #14 - May 18th, 2018 at 3:01pm

Yes on the MRI (and MRA). No on the serum level- I asked, but he did not think it was important.

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #15 - May 18th, 2018 at 4:09pm

Mc,  As an episodic sufferer and I'm a pretty text book cluster head, I have had bad all day headaches (at a 4 or 5 level) in the same location of my clusters that went 1 or 2 days but never for longer but we're all slightly different on how they present. So I have a few questions for you.
1. How many weeks did the hard hits last?
2. Did the all days headaches start from the beginning?
3. Are you still on ADHD meds?
4. Have you been definitively been diagnosed with clusters?
5. Are those all day headaches in the exact same location of the really bad hits?

A few thoughts....maybe they're not clusters or if the nasty hits only went for a few weeks perhaps you're still in cycle and just presenting different from the textbook definition of a cluster. If they really are clusters, even shadows usually respond to oxygen so don't give up on the O2. I'm assuming you guit the ADHD med but if not what are the side affects of that particular med?  Migraines usually respond to triptans but you stated earlier they didn't help.
It's very possible you've got something else going on...sure hope you figure it out soon!
   Sean

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #16 - May 18th, 2018 at 4:19pm

Mc, On a side note...curious about the dosage on the sumatriptan...25mg doesn't do a thing for me but 50mg will buy me 6 or 7 hours of sleep. When my wife gets hit with a bad migraine it takes a 100mg to knock it back.    Sean

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #17 - May 18th, 2018 at 4:24pm

Hey Mc,

Are you on the 12-Day vitamin D3 loading schedule at 50,000 IU/day?  If you did start it and you're still getting hit, it's time to start a first-generation anti-histamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every 4 hours during the day for at least a week. This will help combat any histamine resulting from an allergic reaction by blocking histamine H1 receptors. 

Just be careful and not drive while taking this much Diphenhydramine as it will make you drowsy.  If you need to dirve, don't take it until you're home for the day then take 25 to 50 mg of Diphenhydramine as you walk through the door and another 25 mg at bedtime.

If the hits have slacked off and they come at night, 25 to 50 mg at bed time will help.  If you did start the 12-Day vitamin D3 loading schedule, drop back to an initial maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 when you've completed the loading schedule.

30 days after start of regimen it's important to see your PCP/GP for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH.  As long as you're CH pain free, your serum calcium is within its normal reference range and your PTH is in the lower third of its reference range, you should be good to go a maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day. 

You shouldn't have any problems obtaining these lab tests, but if there is, be sure to tell your PCP/GP you've been taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 for your cluster headaches. That should clear any issues on the need for these lab tests.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Mcatania
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Walden, NY
Reply #18 - May 18th, 2018 at 10:09pm

[quote author=79545E59545E59380 link=1526129525/15#15 date=1526674168]Mc,  As an episodic sufferer and I'm a pretty text book cluster head, I have had bad all day headaches (at a 4 or 5 level) in the same location of my clusters that went 1 or 2 days but never for longer but we're all slightly different on how they present. So I have a few questions for you.
1. How many weeks did the hard hits last?
2. Did the all days headaches start from the beginning?
3. Are you still on ADHD meds?
4. Have you been definitively been diagnosed with clusters?
5. Are those all day headaches in the exact same location of the really bad hits?

A few thoughts....maybe they're not clusters or if the nasty hits only went for a few weeks perhaps you're still in cycle and just presenting different from the textbook definition of a cluster. If they really are clusters, even shadows usually respond to oxygen so don't give up on the O2. I'm assuming you guit the ADHD med but if not what are the side affects of that particular med?  Migraines usually respond to triptans but you stated earlier they didn't help.
It's very possible you've got something else going on...sure hope you figure it out soon!
   Sean[/quote

Sean- I had the bad hits for about 3 weeks. They started to decrease when I went on verapamil and topomax. They were precedded by 2 weeks of constant headaches and the same now- all on teh right side- they never let up. I ahve not had a headbanger for over a week and have no problem sleeping, but as soon as I wake up and untill i gto to bed I have a headache. At first, they thought its has hc, but the idomethocin did nothing. Then, when the headaches started to spike with 1 hour spikes, they figured it was clusters.

The headaches did not start out 24/7. They started only late afternoon- almost like a caffene headache. They slosly graduated to all day over the course of 2 weeks.  They have been all day now since early april. Its painfull enough to be distracting, but not enough to keep me from work. If I cough or sneez I can feel it- like a bruise almost.

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #19 - May 18th, 2018 at 11:14pm

Mc, Coughing and sneezing much? Allergies? Tomorrow's Saturday so if you don't have to drive to work try adding Benadryl to the mix as Batch suggests. I get a lot of late afternoon, early evening shadows too that I have to kill with O2 so you're not out of character there. Even then I'm often left with a dull dark headache that just hangs in there.Sounds like you're about 6 weeks in so hopefully the end is in sight in a couple of weeks. If they up and vanish then you can probably assume you're a clusterhead but be aware they like to come back in spring and fall. Climbing the steep learning curve is half the battle. Hang in there.  Sean

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!