Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Higher Altitute (Read 3213 times)
sj904fighter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Santa Cruz Mountains in CA
Higher Altitute
Jun 30th, 2018 at 11:21am

Has anyone out there had any experience with, or know if High Altitude has any effect on CH?  I ask because my cycle was winding down (One EXTREMELY mild attack per night instead of three mild to moderate attacks, and a Pain Free night once in a while).  Now we are at a friends cabin in the mountains, and I'm suddenly getting at least two Moderate and Stubborn attacks per night.  I understand the Allergy thing, and that's possibly it.  I was just curious if the thinner air here might have an effect on it.

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Re: Higher Altitute
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 12:35pm

From personal experience, I would say yes. At least if you're not adapted to the altitude. I used to vacation in Colorado at 12,000 feet, and on one occasion, had a particularly nasty cycle start up near the end of the trip of 10 days. This was in the summer, which had never occurred before (I've always been a spring and fall person). The extremely dry air and allergies may have also contributed. But less oxygen seems logical as a trigger. Hope this helps.

Patti

Edited to add: this happened before I began the D3 regimen. Now, I would probably do some loading doses in advance.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2018 at 7:37pm by pattik »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 3:50pm

Hey sj904Fighter,

Pattik is spot on with her comments.  I'd load up on a couple 5,000 IU vitamin D3 softgels/day to aid in the lower O2 partial pressure and Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every four hours and at bed time to counter any allergic reaction...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

sj904fighter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 6:52pm

Thank you Pattik, and Batch.  That is very comforting.  It made sense that the High altitude was the cause, but the back of my mind was telling me otherwise.  FYI - I've been on 20,000 IUs/day since this cycle started, and just picked up some Benadryl at the ittle store here.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 9:45pm

SJ904fighter,

25 mg of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) every four hours throughout the day and at bedtime should work just fine.  Don't drive... If you need to drive take 50 mg as soon as you're home for the day and 50 mg at bedtime.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 4:16am

It makes perfect sense.  Less oxygen at high altitude, so the arteries dilate to compensate.  Dilated arteries equal cluster headaches.

IP Logged

sj904fighter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 12:38pm

Kinda what I was thinking/hoping.  I was getting a little worried that my cycle was ramping pack up again...……..I really  miss my BEER.  Tongue

IP Logged

sj904fighter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 4:12pm

Just a little update.  First night back home, no headache last night.  Hopefully this continues.  We'll see.

IP Logged

Graemel
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Taupo NZ
Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 11:32pm

Yes I am wondering about altitude. I got CH in Johannesburg and it was around 5 000 ft asl. I now live in Taupo which is 1200 ft asl. Maybe I should live on the coast?

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 12:11am

Gotta agree, I’ve had too many coincidences with Ch’s and altitude to deny a link but I do think that if one is completely out of season ( for episodic’s) the effect is minimal but if one is approaching (or in season) their usual season, altitude can definitely play a role.

IP Logged

Matthew Funk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 6:48pm

A few years back I took a vacation during my cluster cycle. Never thought of it until now, but it was at 9000' elevation and it was the worst cycle I've ever experienced. I live at 3000'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!