Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Worked Fast 4 me => benzocaine + q-tip (Read 1693 times)
Mike Diamond
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Worked Fast 4 me => benzocaine + q-tip
Jul 7th, 2018 at 10:37am

I have been getting the monster recently. I picked up 20% benzocaine from the pharmacy. It is OTC, about $8 USD. This is located in the toothache aisle, usually marked for tooth relief as an oral anesthetic.  I took a q-tip, dipped it in the bottle and carefully fed it into my nostril, deep within my nose.  It did not hurt, although I expected it to.

For me, this works almost instantly.  I am not recommending this, but it worked for me. Your sinus cavity might be formed differently, it may not work for you.

And I do not know if long term this is a good idea.

Another method that worked for me, but this one goes deeper into the nasal cavity.  There are $15 USD water nose cleaners that drip water in the nose. I got one of these from the pharmacy from the nose area. I tried this also, and it worked. Basically, I filled the cup with some warm water and a solution of the benzocaine. Probably 10 parts water, 1 part benzo. you can try upping the benzo ratio if it does not work.

I laid on my back with my head turned towards the side of the pain and slowly dripped it into my nose. I did this so it would settle deep within my nose and sit where the pain resided. I let it sit for a minute and used paper towels to get the excess.  It was a little uncomfortable, but it far outweighed the pain. This also worked for me.

Hope this helps someone!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Worked Fast 4 me => benzocaine + q-tip
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 7:29pm

Hi and welcome Mike

An interesting post around how you can abort your CHs.

Mike Diamond wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 10:37am:
And I do not know if long term this is a good idea.

I'd certainly discuss this with your doctor as I'm not totally sure that poking a q-tip up your nose, dipped in an oral anesthetic, especially mid-CH is the right thing to do.

Have you tried using other ways to abort CHs like Imitrex injections and oxygen?

Tell us more about your CH and we may be able to give some suggestions plus fire away with any questions you have.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 11:46am

Hey Mike Diamond,

You're essentially giving yourself a sphenopalatine ganglion block.  It's normally done with 2 to 4% lidocaine.

While this can be an effective CH abortive, what you need now is a good CH preventative.  See the following VitaminDWiki link for details:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 7:32pm

Very similar in concept to treatment with lidocaine that was popular back in the 80's, though that was normally done by nasal spray. Glad it works for you. Never tried it that way. The lidocaine spray never worked for me, nor very well for many others.

Check out what Batch said. You need a preventative. If you do it right, you may not need the benzocaine very often.

jlc

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!