Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Beast Returns? (Read 1267 times)
Christian G.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

The Beast Returns?
Jul 13th, 2018 at 6:45pm

Hello Good people of CH.com. I am a 31 year old Male going through his 4th year of CH. The symptoms first started appearing in the winter, and as a skier I chalked it off to a bad case of altitude sickness. The following year they reappeared in frequency and intensity, but only if I drank so I assumed it was alcohol intolerance. The third year/season I stopped drinking and it still happened so I realized that it might be something more serious.

That's when I started doing some research. Seasonality....check. Triggered by alcohol......check. Onset in late 20's.....check. Prior smoker......check. MOST INTENSE PAIN OF MY WHOLE LIFE (and I've fallen off a cliff).....check. After some self diagnoses, I came to the almost certain conclusion that I suffered from CH.

I eventually directed myself to this site. And hope soon ensued. I tried many of the suggested alleviation methods, some more successful than others. I bought oxygen canisters knowing they most likely didn't have the quantity or concentration I needed (I was right  Sad). Started drinking massive amounts of ginger, which seemed to help with shadows, but never stopped the headaches. Interestingly, the one thing that had moderate success rate of abortion was putting a sizable amount of Cayenne pepper in my left nostril (mine are on the left side).

Eventually I discovered the anti-inflammatory/D3 regimen by Batch. While I was initially skeptical, I had a honeymoon/1-year anniversary coming up, and I was going to have Austrian wine and Schnapps even if it killed me. I started taking the suggested supplements a few weeks prior to our departure. I earnestly was hoping for a miracle, and after a few days of no relief I thought about giving up. But after looking at some graphs of ETA of relief, I realized I wasn't in the outlier zone yet and decided to stick it out. (I also had no other option, and tried to think "good things come to those who wait".)

Needless to say. It worked! Not a single headache while in Europe. When I came back I thought, maybe it was just the best-trip-of-my-life-I-can't-believe-I'm-here euphoria and pain was soon to return. But, alas, not even a hint for months. That was about 7 months ago. Since then I have had a few incidents that mimicked CH, but pain was minor enough for me to assume it was something else.

However, starting about a week ago, I started getting more intense symptoms, nothing crazy but 5's & 6's enough to make playing video games much less awesome. And last night for the first time in months, I had one that woke me up at 1AM. I popped four (4) Acetaminophen guzzled some water and was able to go back to bed with relative ease. But I'm concerned.

So now that you have gotten to know me. Here is my problem. I have stayed consistent with 10,000IU of D3 over the past months, but when the symptoms started to return, I increased the dosage. I've taken 20,000-25,000IU a day for the past few days to a week, and it still brought on what I experienced last night.

Is it possible that I've built up an immunity (I know chemically that doesn't make sense as benefit comes from a concentration level). Has anyone else who has had great success with the D3 regimen all of a sudden found it no longer working for them?

As you know, anything I can do to mitigate symptoms is critical as CH at the high end is completely debilitating. Once again, this site has been immeasurably helpful and any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christian G.

P.S. Thank you to Batch for the dedication and effort put into helping people he'll never meet and changing their lives for the better.

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Re: The Beast Returns?
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 7:13pm

I copied and pasted this from from one of Batches post

HOPE THIS HELPS Mark

The lab test for your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH should be an annual affair.  That way you know for sure what your 25(OH)D is, that your serum calcium is within its normal reference range so you can change the vitamin D3 dose accordingly. 

Allergic reactions raise havoc with with this regimen's capacity to prevent CH at the usual maintenance dose of 10,000 to 15,000 IU/day.  If you suspect an allergy and the CH beast starts jumping ugly, (that's a valid indication of an allergic reaction), then a few days at a loading dose of 50,000 IU/day and a temporary new maintenance dose of 20,000 to 25,000 IU/day plus Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every four hours through the day for a week to ten days usually gets you back CH pain free relatively fast.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: The Beast Returns?
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 10:23pm

Hi and welcome Christian

Are you using the latest D3 recipe - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You'll find a lot of info around what to try next if it isn't working.

It is possible you've an allergic reaction of some sort (hay fever?) which could be making your D3 reserves drop to an ineffective level for CH prevention.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!