Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do chronics cycle? (Read 3744 times)
Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Do chronics cycle?
Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:04am

This question is for all you people that are chronic...do you cycle up and down on any kind of regular basis, that is get hit for a period of time and go into remission for a week or two or three and then back to getting hit again? I know that to be officially called chronic one supposedly has to go a year but I seem to be cycling back and forth on the present episode which is setting a precedent for length. Two remissions so far and now back on again. 😖
       Sean
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:06am by Sean McE »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Do chronics cycle?
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 4:19am

Chronic and episodic are just labels and beyond tagging a chronic as someone who has gone at least a year without a break of more than a month.

So having long cycles with short breaks and multi-year cycles both count as chronic.

The boundary could easily have been set at 6 months, 10 months or more, it just means very long cycles.

There is nothing different about any single CH that a chronic or an episodic will experience and it is only by the person with CH keeping records that a doctor can differentiate between the two.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 9:29am

Sean,

I certainly get cycles, Spring & Autumn.

The D3 Regimen allows me to manage the daily, year round attacks, but the seasonal “peaks” can still catch me off guard.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:56pm

Mike, I'm glad you phrased it the way you did. I put that one year thing in there b/c in the past if someone posted that they thought they were going going "chronic" the immediate response would be "yer ain't chronic unless it's been a year". 
     But....being "chronic" would be a game changer for me...as an episodic for 22 years I've always viewed my condition as temporary, I give up a couple of months of my life and move on. I would just as soon forget about my problem (and do). Due to the regularity of my episodes I can make plans and do things without the specter of ch hanging over my head. Pursuing the activities that my family and I enjoy doing  takes one away from the security blanket that exists at home. I can bring oxygen on some of my ventures but not so for many others. Besides the negative effects on ones daily attitude it's a real ball and chain. Oh, I can adjust but it would sure be nice not to have to. Basically, never knowning when the next hit is coming means never letting your guard down.
   Peter, without the D3 helping you, do you run the risk of getting hit at any old time just more frequently during spring and autumn?
   Thanks for responding guys.    Sean

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:56pm

When I was technically chronic I would have high and low cycles.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 2:02pm

Sean,

I have tested this a couple of times, by stopping the D3 altogether and within 10 days or so, I’m in real trouble every few hours, any time of the year.

So, needless to say, I’ve learned over the years to be very diligent about taking it, and all the cofactors.

In truth, I retired at 58 because I was unable to continue working the way things were. There is no question that being chronic is on another level, but it is manaeagable.

Best,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 2:30pm

Thanks a bunch Peter, I'm pretty sure that's what I'm experiencing as I just did that test b/c while I was doing fine I was getting little clues that my episode wasn't really over, just beaten into submission by the D3. 😛  On the seventh day of no D3 (the new 50,000 water soluble caps) I started getting hit again, so took one last night and did fine but time will tell. I'm well into my fourth month now so my suspicions of going "chronic" are rising. Looks like I'll be on a 4 or 5 day pattern with the new caps. Sucks, thinking you're out of the woods only to find out you're not. If the D3 keeps working I'm all in!
     Sean

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 2:39pm

And thanks to Batch for finding and relaying on those new water soluble caps, they seem to be far more effective than the 5 or 10 thousand oil based caps.
     Sean

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 4:25pm

Racer1_NC wrote on Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:56pm:
When I was technically chronic I would have high and low cycles.

Same here...…..

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 5:10pm

Sean...quoting myself from another forum...it seems appropriate...

My greatest fear over  23 yrs of episodic was that it would become chronic. I was obsessed with the thought. Used to dismiss comments on ch.com that chronics preferred it to episodic.... thought they were nuts. Then it happened.... and the reality was FAR less than the fear of the unknown had led me to believe.

Hits were lighter, aborts worked better, triggers were reduced or went away, depression lessened. It still aint no damn fun...but if ya got the right attitude, a plan and the right tools..... it's manageable.

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 6:02pm

Jon, funny you should mention that triggers are reduced or gone...I've been able to drink alcohol with no repercussions, an Absolute (pun intended) no no in the past.
     Sean

IP Logged

AubanBird
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

everywhere...
Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:25pm

I have been chronic for about 9 years now, but i often would go a week or two without a hit.  I have been mostly pain free since switching to a keto diet amd taking lots of vitamin D3. 

I still get nightly hits, but they are mild and go away with a little hyperventilation.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 4:08am

I started as episodic, and am episodic now, but there was a period of about 2 years when I was chronic.  I still had cycles.
Several months of K3-4, followed by a month of K8-9, then back to k3 for a few months and so on.

IP Logged

CHMatt
CH.com Junior

Chicago
Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 1:57pm

I started as chronic 26 years ago and have been ever since.  Usually one (spring, around the time change) and sometimes a second time (fall) I'll get in "high" cycle and they hit more often and we need to add other meds.  The rest of the year they are controllable with verapamil, periactin, and amitriptyline.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:50pm

During my 40 year career as a CHead I went a couple of times 14-18 months without a break but never regarded myself as chronic because they were distinctly separate cycles running back to back.

It were tough times.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!