Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Introduction - You can't see what I feel (Read 14003 times)
Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Introduction - You can't see what I feel
Sep 1st, 2018 at 5:28am

Hello everybody,
my Name ist Rafael. I'm from germany and a clusterheadache sufferer for nearly 20 years now.
9 years ago I was completely lost. I had the feeling nobody really takes me seriously and nobody really can help. I wanted to yell it in everyones face and decided to write a book. Because a book is the classic way an individual can reach many.
So I did.
Five years later, in 2013, a small publishing house took the risk and released "Schmerz frisst Seele" (Pain eats soul) in Germany.
The years went by and some people told me that my book had helped them. Something that I did not think it is possible years ago and therefore never expected.
If sharing me experiences and thoughts could help others, I should share it to more people.
So I did, and had the book and several blog posts that were written additionaly after the german release translated to english. This was released on a big online bookstore one year ago.
For it's first anniversary I decided to post it here. Chapter by chapter.
The next will come tomorrow and I try to post one chapter each week.

Introduction

According to one fairly prevalent myth, the Eskimos have a hundred different words for snow. This is actually a tall tale that originated in 1911 with the German linguist, ethnologist, and anthropologist Franz Boas, and it formed from a lack of understanding of the polysynthetic language spoken by Northern peoples. Only in 1986 did anthropologist Laura Martin write an article titled "Eskimo Words for Snow" in American Anthropologist, in which she clarified this myth. Franz Boas had probably only wished to express that the Eskimos had adjusted their language to suit their environment. Someone surrounded by snow will have a more nuanced way of describing it.
Just like the inhabitants of the North Pole know snow, I know different types of headache. Each one has to be addressed differently. The traditional terms for affective (e.g. nagging, agonizing, paralyzing, terrible, severe) and sensory (e.g. pulsating, throbbing, stabbing, dull, pressing, burning) descriptions of pain are not nearly sufficient to comprehensively describe the overall artwork that is cluster headache.
Pain is that which one perceives as such. Suffering from pain can make it incredibly difficult for one to communicate with their environment. Pain is a highly subjective perception. It is difficult to comprehensibly and clearly explain it to other people.
This book documents and describes the effects of a chronic illness, cluster headache, on my life, thoughts, and worldview. I am afflicted, making me a patient and not a doctor. I cannot and do not want to make any diagnoses. Rather, I want to try to put the pain I have endured - and its consequences - down on paper. It's also sort of like I'm explaining to a Majorcan the difference between snow, firn, crusted snow, and corn snow.

When I decided to write down the story of my illness, I was far more bitter than I am now. I've since become mortified by my original ideas for a title, namely: "No Escape - I'd Sell My Soul to Get Rid of the Pain", "The Pain Stays with You", "You Have the Pain", "You Can't Share Suffering", "Nobody Can Help You - You Have to Live with the Ache", and even "Cluster Headache - When You Torture Yourself". I tried to scream the ache away, because nowhere did I feel like I was sufficiently understood. Thankfully I have since opened up my ears, and ultimately learned how to listen to myself.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: Introduction - You can't see what I feel
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 5:43am

btw.

If someone is willing and able to do more translations. For example, in spanish, french or russian. I would like to support that.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:56am

A great intro,  Rafael,  and I look forward to chapter 1. 

Many ClusterHeads have written poetry and songs about our nightmare and it's my big regret since falling victim to ch.com that I never collected these works as they came along.

I'll be more careful with your contribution to our collective mind.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 4:18am

Willkommen zu CH.com Rafael

I look forward to reading the rest of your book which has a great start.

Quote:
"Nobody Can Help You - You Have to Live with the Ache"

I think we all understand where that came from with our own experiences before we educated ourselves or found good doctors who could help.

IP Logged

John2
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 11:46pm

Quote:
I look forward to reading the rest of your book which has a great start.

+1

Sehr gut!

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 1:54am

After the book is before the book

Thoughts and Facts for the Second Edition.

What actually happens when you want to use a book like this one to give the entire world deep, or maybe the deepest, insight into your soul? When you lay out all of your flaws and shortcomings out on a silver platter? When you pull your trousers down and stand naked in the wind?
When I wrote the first sentences down years ago, all I wanted to do was scream out - well, describe - my pain. To cry out everything under the sun because nobody could help me and nobody had listened. I was miserable.
While the book was being made I actually never thought that I was performing a public striptease in doing so. It was clear to me what I was doing, but I had never considered that side of it before. Another author pointed it out to me on the first day of the book launch. "When strangers get into bed with you, or rather your book."
Yes, it's possible. Some of my most intimate thoughts are lying on the nightstands of complete strangers in the form of this book. Yet over the course of many therapy sessions and conversations I had already learned that outward expression is important. Your thoughts and feelings can only be perceived by others if they are expressed. I either want somebody to understand how I'm doing, or I don't. I wanted it!
Now, I'm not happy that it is the way it is, but I'm also not embarrassed. There's nothing at all to be nervous about.
Or is there?
Of course there is!
Because I didn't know how the outside world would react to what I have experienced, thought, and written down. People close to me, people who already know me, had read it. Many publishers had read excerpts of it, but most of them didn't see the manuscript turning into a book. Now everyone can read it.
Some have already done it, and in turn I've heard echoes back from them. People I knew in passing. People I've known for a long time but who did not know this side of me. People who knew me before I got sick. And, of course, people who didn't know me at all but who suffer from the same disease. The reception from all of them has been entirely positive. It's exactly the type of understanding I have always hoped for. Moreover, other sufferers said that they could identify with at least a few aspects. This is where I achieved my goal.
I am happy
It's how I know I didn't produce a pile of crap. All reception from here on out is a bonus. Hopes will now be fulfilled. I have also been told that my ideas are accepted and that people can learn from my own journey. I hear this even from people who don't suffer from cluster headache whatsoever. They have read this book and let me know that they have been able to benefit from it. Inside I had already long suspected that many of my strategies for managing cluster headache could also be used for similar (e.g. migraine) or completely different diseases. Going even one step further than I had hoped fills me with a little pride.
At the very least I did everything right in turning my deepest thoughts outward. I have only benefited from it.
The book has also benefited, especially from its readers. Obviously I alone did not think of all of the relevant questions and issues. I respond to a selection of the most important and common questions in the FAQ chapter. In it I don't provide any general advice, but rather disclose my own views, convictions, and the processes that have proven helpful to me. I cannot predict which actions will be the right ones for everyone. Everybody is different, and everybody has to find their own way. But learning from something and being inspired by it is not only allowed, but desired and encouraged.
Another victory for me is when I come across my own conclusions in a similar form in other books or presentations. In A Journey of 1000 Miles Begins with a Single Step, Luise Reddemann writes about stopping to think, as there is no silver bullet and everyone has to work on paving their own way.
Last year during one of his presentations, Dr. Hartmut Göbel spoke quite impressively about how headache patients often possess a mind that absorbs a lot of - perhaps too much - sensory input. The key phrase was "minimisation of irritants". Such overlap with my own experiences solidifies my certainty that I am headed in the right direction, doing what I like to do and looking contentedly toward the future. This is true even when I wake up in a bad mood after a night marred by three attacks, because I admittedly not free from this demon. This book is about living with a disease, not conquering it.
As the cherry on top, my attending neurologist spontaneously wrote me a foreword. She attests that the title of the book is wrong because the pain has certainly not eaten my soul, but at the very worst has gnawed at it, and I take that to be great praise to be put up on my shelf. No, I'll frame it and hang it up on the wall. But I must also return it, because she is not entirely innocent in this matter. When I first sat in her waiting room my soul was nearly gone. What began with a smiley - drawn by Mrs. Gendolla on a pack of medication - turned into a relationship of trust that I cannot imagine being more wonderful.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 1:55am

Instead of a Foreword

You’ll Never Walk Alone      
by Dr. Astrid Gendolla

I have been a practicing physician in Essen, Germany for twenty years now, and in this time I have worked with so many headache patients that I lost count. I most frequently encounter people with migraines who no longer know where to go about their terrible pain. The most insidious, however, is cluster headache. It manifests in attacks, and comes virtually out of nowhere. Attacks entail extremely severe pain that can last for a long time, and then vanish just as suddenly. The dreadful thing about this disease is the absolute powerlessness against its randomness. Attacks can return at any time, without warning, without abstention. People who live with this disease are simultaneously living in constant fear.
Rafael Häusler has faced this fear. He meticulously describes the stages of the disease, reflects on his life with cluster headache, and tries to find answers. But there is one thing that I would like to firmly disagree with Rafael Häusler on. The title of the book does not apply, at least to the author himself. The pain has not eaten his soul, and as his attending physician I can confirm this. Perhaps it has tried to, perhaps it has gnawed at his soul from time to time. But Rafael Häusler defied it. I am certain that his journey must have been difficult, the road bumpy, but ultimately so successful that he is able to write about all of his experiences. A beneficial process? It is not my place to say. In any case writing is a known way to look at the entirety of a given subject. Rafael Häusler's notes, turned into a book, also have another effect: they help other people better understand the disease and those who suffer from it, and they show other patients one very important message: "You'll Never Walk Alone". There are people who understand you, who feel what you feel, who are with you. That alone makes this book invaluable.
I am happy and grateful that my profession allows me to join Rafael Häusler on this journey, and to speak with him on a regular basis. I can truly recommend this book to you from the bottom of my heart.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 1:57am

Definition

A definition of the symptoms of cluster headache syndrome. This also includes a personal introduction, along with the description of my own symptoms.

What is Cluster Headache?

The phenomenon of cluster headache has been re-described a number of times over the years, the result being many names for this rather rare sickness. In accordance with ICD-10, medical professionals refer to cluster headache with the shorthand code G44.0.
The ICD-10 from 11 is the current version of a globally recognised diagnosis classification and encryption system issued by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
Former terms and designations include:
Ciliary neuralgia, erythromelalgia of the head, erythroprosopalgia, hemicrania angioparalytica, hemicrania periodica neuralgiformis, histaminic, (Bing-)Horton syndrome, Harris-Horton syndrome, Harris's migrainous neuralgia, Gardner's petrosus neuralgia, Sluder's neuralgia, neuralgia of the Ganglion sphenopalatinum, and Vidian neuralgia.
Another common term - "suicide headache" - has understandably fallen out of fashion.

An unbelievable number of names for a disease with just as many facets. It remains a mystery why there have been so many ways to refer to a relatively rare illness in the last 150 years. It could be because, truthfully, no two cluster headaches are alike. Yet it gives utterance to the helplessness against the phenomenon.
Cluster headache, properly known as cluster headache syndrome (CHS), is a chronic and untreatable disease. It is one of the trigeminal autonomic cephalalgia (TACs), which also include paroxysmal hemicrania (PH) and SUNCT syndrome (short-lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache with conjunctival injection and tearing).
Wikipedia defines TACs as follows:
"Trigeminal autonomic cephalalgia is the name for a type of primary headache that occurs with pain on one side of the head in the trigeminal nerve area and symptoms in autonomic systems on the same side, such as eye watering and redness or drooping eyelids."
The term "trigeminal autonomic cephalalgia" was first used in 1997 by Peter J. Goadsby and Richard B. Lipton.
Other similar headaches include hemicrania continua (which entails constant pain but the autonomic characteristics are less constant), and SUNA syndrome (short-lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks with cranial autonomic symptoms). However, these are categorised as "Other primary headaches" in the headache classification of the International Headache Society (IHS).
The various types of trigeminal autonomic headaches primarily differ by the time patterns - duration and frequency - of the attacks.
The signs are extremely severe (head) pain attacks. Relatively distinct characteristics of CHS are the unilateral occurrence and distinct accompanying symptoms like reddened and watery eyes, swollen nasal mucosa, contraction of the pupils, and sweating from the face. The pain lasts for 15 to 180 minutes. The number of attacks varies greatly from one person's cluster headache to the next. They could be nighttime attacks every two days, or multiple throughout the day. My personal maximum is five attacks per day. Contrary to all other types of headache, a cluster attack entails unrest. And much unlike migraines, there is no sensitivity to light and noise.
The intensity of the pain can easily lead to unconsciousness. During a severe attack the sufferer may not be responsive, and could not be physically able to use the muscles required to tie their shoelaces.
CHS is divided into episodic and chronic manifestations, whereby the episodic manifestation is also a chronic disease. With episodic cluster headache, the pain attacks occur frequently within a certain period of time and are broken up by temporary, symptom-free phases of remission. The pain episode can last from a few weeks to a number of months. The remission phases can even span years. If there are no such remission phases, or if they are too short to provide any actual respite, this is referred to as chronic cluster headache.
Ironically, cluster headache is not dangerous, despite the intense pain. The medical world sometimes refers to it as benign suffering, as it is not fatal like some diseases, e.g. cancer. Thank you, dear medical professionals, for this trivialisation.
The extent to which CHS affects one's personal life depends on the number and frequency of the attacks. If someone experiences two months of episodes per year with nightly attacks every other day, and enjoys ten-month remission phases in between, they will probably be asked from time to time why they look so unrested. But if someone suffers from the chronic manifestation and experiences an average of three or more high-intensity attacks every day, a normal life is most likely no longer conceivable. Instead cluster headache becomes a constant companion that engrains itself in every aspect of one's life. Especially with severe manifestations, the level of impact also highly depends on the sufferer's social environment and financial security.

For me the pain is not just a phenomenon that comes and goes. Indeed, it is clear to me that the pain is just made up of electrical signals - nerve impulses - running amok in my brain. But I feel the pain, or pains, to be a lifelong companion. It's just like a living creature. Cluster headache is a raging animal mercilessly striking at me with no pattern, no warning. A migraine, on the other hand, is like a jealous creature. It wants all of the attention for itself, but is fair enough to announce its arrival in advance.
Further information, especially concerning the current treatment recommendations of cluster headache, can be found in the current guidelines of the German Neurology Society, among other places.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 5:57pm

Great work,  Rafael.  In getting this story out among the general public you'll be helping countless ClusterHeads in so many ways.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 2:24am

Who am I?

My Personal Cluster Headache

As of the time at which this book is being conceived in my head, I am a male individual born 38 years ago in Germany's Ruhr region, and I still live here.
Cluster headache has been a part of my life for more than ten years now. In this time it has become more and more integrated into my life and continues to take control. The course of my life was certainly not shaped by it alone, but it definitely played a significant role.
Much of the information in this book gradually came together in the form of journal entries and originally served to process what I have experienced. On top of that are insights and strategies that I have worked out over the years and which have been imparted to me. If my experiences can help even just one other person affected by cluster headache, then this book has been worth it.
Another reason for writing was that I have never been able to explain to someone everything that's written herein.
This book took three years to create, and in that time I participated in a number of different measures and conducted a variety of treatments. This absolutely difficult therapeutic work in particular gave me new perspectives that I had ceased to believe in, despite my sickness.
It is easy to say that a person is no more than what pain has made them into, or even what is left of them as a result. But only I can decide how much I permit such self-abandonment. It's my inner attitude that give me a certain degree of control over my well-being. This attitude can either be a life-destroying downward spiral or a reliable source of support in threatening internal and external situations, depending on one's mood. The desire to actively participate in one's own development is absolutely necessary to break through what could become a vicious cycle.

My own personal cluster headache can be characterized as follows:
•      Affected side: right
•      Occurring since 1999
•      Diagnosed in late 2004
•      Up to five attacks per day (raised this to eight a day in February 2016)
•      Attack duration: 15 to 120 minutes
•      Pain intensity as bad as unconsciousness, not responsive, impaired motor skills
•      Originally about three months of episodes and nine months of remission per year. Eventually much longer episodes
•      Accompanying systems like watery eyes and runny/congested nose not particularly distinct

Of course, the primary symptom is and remains the pain. Its long-term recurrence results in other symptoms as well. I define the following symptoms as primary side-effects:

•      Sleep disorders
•      Concentration disorders
•      Amnesic aphasia
•      Paranoia when falling asleep
•      Brief stinging pains (1 – 5 minutes)
•      Loss of libido (over a span of months)

I consider some other side-effects to be secondary:

•      Depression (BDI-II 43 points, depression starting at 30)
•      Impairment of physical performance (worst-case scenario with Topamax. I had to look at a packet to remember what the tablets are even called - forgetfulness)
•      Impairment of mental performance
•      States of anxiety/panic (e.g. if no medication is within reach)
•      Alternation between aggression and apathy – very hard for relatives and friends to deal with
•      Auto-aggression/tendency toward self-harm
•      Extreme forgetfulness
•      Listlessness/no motivation
•      Lethargy/sluggishness
•      Sweating attacks and other vegetative disorders. These do not always precede/follow pain attacks.

What else does my cluster headache do to me:

Photosensitivity

It has made me sensitive to light, especially with regard to light reflexes. It is thus not possible for me to spend time outdoors unprotected from the sun from April to October. Otherwise I would experience severe, migraine-like headaches and nausea within a very short period (< 5 minutes). As a result I can generally only go outdoors with a hat and sunglasses, especially when it's really warm out. Even when I'm doing somewhat better, I can only go outside with "protective clothing". It's entirely unknown why that is, and it is an incredible impediment to my everyday life.

Weight gain

The many medications I have taken caused me to gain weight. Yet the reward principle (chocolate after nightly pain attacks) and subsequent irregular meals on the days after attacks also played a part.

Mobility

It feels like I have aged 30 years, as all of my bones ache. Of those 30, 10 to 15 are certainly because of Topamax. Without Topamax I do much better, but still not good. To give a specific example, it is impossible for me to go up a set of stairs right after waking up.

Attacks after moments of strain

Pain attacks really like setting in after or during physical strain - e.g. riding my bike for 30 to 60 minutes. If nothing happens then, nothing will happen later. But this is not always the case, and happens about half the time. I get the impression that the symptoms start in brief phases of recovery, e.g. when I'm cruising down a mountain. What gives me this impression? Not much, aside from the fact that I can now only engage in my favorite hobby for a limited amount of time.

You can visualize someone suffering from pain by comparing them to a car in the winter. The pain behaves like frost. Only when it's cold enough will the car's motor fail, as the battery is no longer delivering enough power to rotate the starter. This image also illustrates another situation that I find myself in. The line between being able and unable to work is not fluid, but is hard and abrupt. If the pain exceeds a certain level, I sink backward into my condition and all corresponding symptoms promptly worsen.
Then when the car just starts up again, the heating works and it drives as through it had a fresh, fully charged battery. If I forget to repair my empty battery the car may break down again the next day. If I accidentally leave the light on, it definitely will.
But contrary to cars, which can be replaced with a bus, train, or taxi in an emergency, there is no replacement for one's own body. That's why it's important for me to know the limit in time.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 3:47am

Rafael wrote on Sep 19th, 2018 at 2:24am:
This attitude can either be a life-destroying downward spiral or a reliable source of support in threatening internal and external situations, depending on one's mood. The desire to actively participate in one's own development is absolutely necessary to break through what could become a vicious cycle.

Truly spoken,  Rafael. 

I fell into that vicious spiral once,  which was more a cataclysmic vortex at the time,  until I realised I was the only one who could pull myself back out.

Had all the help in the world from my supporters and ch.com,  which was indispensible,  but it was all still down to me.

I remain ever thankful they were there to back me up.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 1:51pm

Before the Diagnosis

Headaches have never been a stranger to me. My mother had migraines now and then, so it was normal for me to have the occasional headache. But shortly before the turn of the millennium, I experienced an entirely new type of pain.
I cannot pinpoint the exact date of my first cluster attack, as I did not record any precise information in the first years. In the first one or two years, though, it was notable and distinctive that the attacks only occurred at night. Over a span of about two months I was torn out of sleep in this harsh manner more frequently. It felt like something was smouldering in my head. Always in the same spot. So I would wander through my flat, crumple up on the floor, press my pulsating and burning temple against cool objects in an attempt to alleviate the pain. Every night it took one or two hours for the pain to subside.
I tried all of the commonly available swallowable, chewable, or effervescent painkillers to find the fastest possible combination. And I always wondered why the tablets worked quickly sometimes, slowly other times, and other times not at all. Now I know that they never worked. Every now and then I was just lucky that the attack was just over in half an hour or so.
My general practitioner, whom I first approached with the matter, had no idea where my pain could be coming from. He prescribed stronger tablets, which of course did not help either. At the time I always had a faint impression that the pain was coming from my upper jaw. I remembered a root canal operation. But the dentist also could not find any issues. The X-ray showed a slight shadow on a root in my upper jaw. In my desperation I asked that the healthy tooth be extracted, in the hopes that it was the culprit. Of course, it wasn't. My desperation intensified.
But before I could subject my body to any more nonsense, the episode was over and I ceased to exhibit any symptoms for a number of months. The gap in my teeth, which still serves as a daily reminder of those times, still bothers me. But I was happy that this phantom pain was finally gone.
I would have happily left the pain behind me. But when the next episode started up, the pain did not only occur at night, but during the day as well. Now the pain had found a home behind my right eye, and no longer seemed to be coming from my jaw. I ingested painkillers like Smarties, and started to become withdrawn. Nothing is fun anymore when you have headaches. The waves of pain were so intense during the day that I was unable to do anything while they were happening.
Problems at work and in my personal life were amplified. The idea that the pain was from a tumour started to marinate in my head. There had to be a reason for this monstrous pain. The image of a foreign body in my head, no smaller than a chicken egg, formed before my mind's eye. Yet magnetic resonance imaging (an MRI) did not find anything. None of the doctors had any idea what I could be missing. Every test returned with one result: I am healthy.
That still did nothing to stop the constantly recurring pains that were driving me to insanity. I consoled myself by saying, "It's just pain, it won't kill you, it just hurts." This attitude actually helped me a little - just not a lot. Now I know that this approach was entirely sensible and can be seen as cognitive behavioural therapy.
With every passing day marred by this pain, it became less clear to me why I was even living and what my purpose was. Death increasingly became a sensible alternative. Naturally, my professional and personal life suffered. I became newly single, and then newly unemployed.
A cycle begins at this point. During the pain episode, all motivation collapses. The cluster wrings me out and shatters me against the wall. Once I'm lying in shards on the ground, it subsides. Sometimes it's more difficult to maintain a normal life after that, to sweep all your pieces back up and reorganise yourself - all just to ensure your own survival. However, such euphoric ideas like quality of living and optimism remain alien to me. I am no longer alive, I merely exist.

In late 2004 I was deep in the middle of a pain episode, lost all of my motivation once more, and only had a tattered life to look back on. But this time, a few simple, small things led to drastic changes.
One night in the first or second week of December I was sitting in front of my computer and asked the internet, "What if constant headaches make me unable to work?" Specifically, I enter the words "headaches" and "unable to work". When I saw what this simple question returned to me, it was as though the Oracle of Delphi had just paid me a personal visit. The resulting keyword was "cluster headache", and there were pages with personal stories and pages of clinics who provided a definition and description. The greatest wealth of information can be found on the websites of the CSG e.V. (or, to provide its full name, the Federal Association of Self-Help Groups for Cluster Headache Patients and Their Loved Ones).
In all of the stories, reports from sufferers, and the forum posts that I read that night, I found a lot of things that I must have experienced in the past years. Suddenly I was certain that I had at least found the name for my invisible, overpowering opponent.
There are not many self-help groups in Germany. Thankfully I live in a megalopolis, and a self-help group met in the next city over. The next meeting was even in a few days. With my newly acquired knowledge, and thanks to the lists of doctors on the info pages, I finally found a doctor who might be able to help me. And I greedily learned that there is medication that can provide relief. This information was like rain the desert for me.
At the next meeting of the self-help group I was given further confirmation that my assumption was correct. Two days later I was visiting the doctor I had picked and everything was clear in just a few minutes. The suffering I had endured over the past five years was compressed into one diagnosis: cluster headache. Armed with prescriptions for Imigran and oxygen, I was on my way home. Now I finally had weapons against my nemesis that, just a few days before, did not even have a name.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 8:01am

Important Note

The trade names of medicines are not the same throughout the world.
For example: Imigran is called Imitrex in several other countries.

I used the trade names from Germany. Cause the eBook is available worldwide, there is no chance to translate this in way which is valid everywhere. Therefore, I remain with the original names.

After the Diagnosis

It is abundantly clear to anyone who can no longer walk because of an accident or an illness that they rely on assistance in the form of a wheelchair. Someone who becomes blind will not have any illusions that they will be able to lead the same life they had up until that point. After the firm diagnosis of "cluster headache", however, it took a while for me to accept that it was now, and would remain, a part of my life.
But knowing that I suffer from cluster headache did not mean that I had found the off-switch. It also did not mean that I would perform Step A, take Medication B, and then be able to lead a pain-free life overnight.
For me cluster headache had been a loyal companion for years, a part of my life. But now it had a name, a face. That does not make it disappear, but rather more tangible. I was given prescriptions for every recommended standard medication, and was allowed to experiment to figure out what worked best for me.
Over the years I tried different means and methods for prophylaxis and acute treatment. Not everything worked, but thankfully some did. Cortisone pulse therapies had no effect on me. In terms of prophylaxis, Topamax only had dramatic side-effects, and Imigran Nasal left an absolutely ghastly taste in my throat. All of the triptans administered in tablet form were fruitless.
It became apparent over time that the first-choice medications from the guidelines of the German Neurological Society (GNS) for treating cluster headache and trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias were actually the best choice for me as well. This entailed high to very high doses of Verapamil for prophylaxis. At least 720 mg per day proved effective in my case. However, after 480 mg the side-effects of Verapamil were so strong that I had to overcome a lot just to take a higher dosage. However, the pain relief that came as a result was absolutely worth it.
I successfully took oxygen, which has to be inhaled with a high power density, to acutely curtail the attacks. 12 to 15 litres per minute are absolutely necessary, but the inhalation of oxygen only alleviates and shortens the attacks. A cluster headache attack can actually be eliminated with a subcutaneous injection of Imigran. The shot takes effect within five minutes and actually gets rid of the pain. The day I first took a shot of Imigran will be a special anniversary for the rest of my days.

It was the evening of 16 December 2004, when the very first season of the television show TV Total's high diving competition event Turmspringen was airing. It felt like an inner fire was tearing through all of my veins to the tips of my extremities. After a few minutes it felt like all of the droning in my head vanished in a single breath. I lifted my head and looked around, confused. The pain was gone. The pain that had caused me to writhe on the floor for so many hours, that left me powerless and which was responsible for so many restless nights. Click - it was turned off! I sat alone on the old furniture in my poorly heated flat and, in that moment, I felt simply unbeatable.
The 0.5 ml injection solution, which contains 6 mg of the agent sumatriptan, can have life-changing effects. To this day it is downright euphoric to take an Imigran injection - especially after a long break - and to feel (in the truest sense of the word) the medication in your veins and to just be able to get rid of the pain so easily.
Yet for as clear as it seems, it has many side-effects. I learned this as I started regularly taking too much of it. In my case, "too much" was about ten injections per week. So not during every attack. As a result I wound up in such a state that I felt like I was in the middle of a giant cotton ball. I didn't care about anything, and I did not pay anything any mind. A friend asked what was wrong, and said I looked really dazed. I am still unable to find a better way to describe the way I felt at the time.
Of course I learned that, at the time, I was no longer able to responsibly operate a motor vehicle. I could no longer (or rather, should no longer) drive a car. Everything simply happens too fast out on the road. Thankfully it only took a few close calls to bring me to this conclusion.
There is another memory that burned itself into my brain: I stored letters on my kitchen table for three months. The post piled up. I was horrified, and it proved to me that I still had a lot to learn in order to better live with my disease.

Zomig Nasal joined the medication duo of oxygen and Imigran Inject in 2010. Zomig Nasal is also a triptan with the more recent agent zolmitriptan. Like the injection form of sumatriptan, zolmitriptan as a nasal spray has been approved to treat cluster headache. While Zomig Nasal also leaves an undesirable taste in the throat, it's not as long-lasting and stubborn as Imigran Nasal's aftertaste. In my experience its effects are not as absolutely certain, and it doesn't always work. But when it does, it promises twelve pain-free hours. This makes it life-changing.
Ultimately, I have found fortune in misfortune! I attest to oxygen, and the two medications approved to treat cluster headache - Imigran and Zomig - work as well.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 4:55am

Questions

A number of questions I have asked myself and which have long gone unanswered. It took many discussions with other sufferers to learn that I was not the only one asking them.

Why Me?

Why is this happening to me? Why now? This question can arise any time someone reaches a difficult time in their life, and clusterheads aren't the only ones who ask it. Some people ask it over and over again.
I don't know the answer to it, and the fruitless search is tiring. As a result, the question ultimately only amplifies the exhaustion. But circumstances prevent one from actually putting it out of their mind.
I have lived with cluster headache for a good decade now. In that time there have been good days and bad. The pain doesn't care what type of day it is when it sets in. Wildly erratic, it has not followed any specific rhythm for years now. I am entirely certain that it has completely disconnected from any inner and outer influences. It appears as though it has its own mind, as though it were its own entity. It shows up and dominates whenever it deems fit.
Why me? When it comes to migraines in particular, we look for its cause in an imbalance of the soul, its needs or its demands. It actually seems that such a connection can be found in most migraine cases. In his comprehensive book about migraines, Oliver Sacks writes that there is a reason behind every migraine. He reached this conclusion after investigating more than 1,000 cases.
Yet cluster headache is not a type of migraine, but rather a disease that may be related. So, dear doctors, do not treat cluster headache as though it were a form of migraine, even if there are unquestionable parallels between them. In my own head I know four different types of headache, and each of them wants to be treated differently. Each demands its own personal reaction.
"Why me?" is a question that may never have an answer, but we still have the potential to make sure that cluster headache is recognised as an actual, independent disease. We don't just have a headache, and we don't have a type of migraine.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 3:05am

Religion

Cluster headache is brutal. It strikes its innocent victim without warning. It's human nature to seek an explanation in religion when rationality cannot provide any.
Why does suffer from cluster headache at all? Why do they exhibit these painful attacks? Physicians differentiate between circadian (daily) and circannual (annual) rhythms. It is certainly not the only, and absolutely not the largest, unsolved puzzle in this world, but for those affected it is by far the most interesting.
In such cases many people, at least in Western Europe, are conditioned to turn to divine counsel as a universal explanation for the unexplainable. Indeed it provides tremendous relief when one is able to simply believe in a higher power in this situation.
In his book Angels & Demons, Dan Brown writes the protagonist Robert Langdon as saying, "Faith is a gift that I have yet to receive." And in his book The Happiness Code (Der Glückscode), the author Dieter Broers - whom I believe to be firmly rooted in the abyss of the esoteric - writes, "The Bible knows that faith can move mountains. Without wanting to compete with the Book of all books, I would like to add one thing: thought can create mountains."
Actually, with each attack the sufferer finds themselves facing the why-me question again. At some point I also began thinking in that direction. Always "why me?". Is it some kind of punishment? It was one claimed in jest that if things aren't going right in life, it must be because of exorbitant misconduct in a past life. So I lose karma points because I used to be a rowing drummer on the Rome-Carthage row galley?
To be honest, there has been a moral transgression in my life that I committed before my cluster headache began. To be prosaic, this transgression also wasn't really that bad. Given a hypothetical proportionality, half of humanity would suffer from headaches in this case, and a not-so-insignificant portion of the population would go up in flames.
I'm not very receptive to esoteric and theological ideas as a matter of principle. In times of weakness, when my brain convulsions have been laying on the grill of pain for too long and too often, I've still sought out those ideas regardless. Whenever the pain subsides a little, the same questions always come back to me: "Why me?", "Why is this happening to me?", and "What am I being punished for?"

Today I know that these questions don't bring anyone a step further. Acceptance and tolerance are the key words. Still, it's not pretty and it's not fun. But nobody ever said it was.
Should I ever again lean toward faith in a higher power or anything God-given instead of naked fate, I will save myself by remembering that God is not infallible, and its ground crew especially aren't.
Marianne Thomas made this same point quite wonderfully during a radio special on Émilie du Châtelet on SWR 2. Émilie du Châtelet and Voltaire subjected the Bible to a thorough analysis and drafted a critical commentary. And because she loves logical reasoning, she addresses the story of the creation with distinct irony: "How amusing that the first three days were marked by night and morning before the sun was even created on the fourth."

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #15 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 4:34am

Another great contribution,  Rafael,  showing so many of us ClusterHeads make the same journey while not necessarily using the same path.

CH and religion has come up here a few times over the years and I'm always intrigued to note the number of sufferers who are also devoutly religious.  I don't have the numbers to back it up but have long suspected it's much higher than any average.

Let everyone seek help as they see fit,

Brian.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 1:46pm

The Lord

In 2009 I participated in a rehabilitation programme in Bad Wildungen, in the north of the state of Hessen. While conversing during the psychological consultation, the psychologist at the on-site clinic suggested that I give my pain a name and a shape in order to turn it into a person. Then I should reveal everything from this person's perspective - the entire story from the pain's point of view.
I then envisioned a figure similar to the god Thor. I had never intensely researched Germanic or Nordic mythology, so this was a purely intuitive name. The figure of a sovereign lord, the God of Thunder. It was he who does not suffer anybody beside him, whose power outshines everything, who darkens the sun, or who is the sun itself in which one burns and dies out.
He's not some good lord who is well-disposed toward his people. He is merciless, even sadistic. He lets his host bleed until they are down on their knees, limply following every command. So the lord, who, in the grander scheme of things, is really only there for a short period, is still always present. Omnipresent. He becomes God. The sufferer experiences the pain as religion. They do not seek our religion as an explanation for the recurring hurt, but rather that hurt is the religion.
I very often got the impression that I was a sort of game for the pain. Whenever I felt like I couldn't go on anymore, it took a short break. When I didn't want to go on anymore and there was nothing to be done, the pain would leave for a day. As though it just wanted to use me as its plaything. Like how a cat plays with a mouse it has just caught. Of course, the mouse doesn't stand a chance against the cat. But it can actually influence how interesting it is to the cat. The more intensely it struggles, the more fun it becomes for the cat
I've decided not to let the pain defeat me. But I must comply with it. It is always there, and it picks up on everything. The parallels between it and the omniscient Christian God are surprising, and sometimes terrifying. Prayer would be the wrong term to use, but when I hold an internal dialogue, it's with the pain, not with God.
To this day I don't know what it all looks like from the pain's perspective. Even though I have often thought about it, I can't put together a real sketch of its motives. It doesn't need me for anything. I don't feel that I am ultimately the host for its existence. So I have never found a better model than that of pure despotism.
Still, this thought experiment makes very clear how the behaviour that I consider to be the best way to address the disease actually looks. If I am subjected to pressure, I must promptly build up the appropriate counterpressure. If the pressure is so strong that I can't prepare any sufficient response, then it's important to make myself as unassailable as possible. To speak figuratively, it would be best to become liquid, because the strongest fist cannot hold fast to a liquid - it will simply trickle out between the fingers.
One could imagine the pain as a large fist raining down on me from the sky. I throw myself helplessly onto the ground, try to be as shapeless as possible, and simply wait out the worst of storms. Once the wind subsides - because its power has been exhausted for the moment - I lift myself up to defy the weakening tempest. It's quite practical to imagine things this way. At the moment when the pain is worst, the body instinctively curls into the foetal position. Rolled up to offer as little room for attack as possible. In these moments I always draw back on two different mantras. First I think to myself over and over, "Go away!" Once I feel like the pain is on the retreat, I append it with a little, "I am stronger!" It took a very long time to get used to this autosuggestion, but it works.
If we imagine pain as a tremendous arm pushing down on us, it luckily seems that it has to adhere to the laws of physics. The stronger the muscle pushing down on you, the faster it overacidifies and it can no longer be supplied with oxygen. Indeed, it is too strong for you to defend yourself against it. But it will run out of air and need a break, too. It is during that break that you can decide for yourself whether you will stay lying down or if you will stand up again.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 4:03am

The Question of Condition

The harmless question, "How are you?", has become a gauntlet that repeats itself every day. Almost no one who asks about another's well-being actually wants to know anything about it. And nobody wants to answer, either. Still, polite truisms are a frequent ritual for starting conversations. Where I'm from, indignation tends to manifest in the following manner:
Q: "Wie isset?" (How's it going?)
A: "Muss!" (It's gotta!)
Chatterboxes will occasionally opt for the longer expression, "It's gotta! And you?». Humorous contemporaries like to counter with, "It was going yesterday." But actually, the only permissible responses are, "I'm okay", "I'm good", and maybe "I'm fine". In my case, a rather more philosophical reply would be more appropriate, such as, "That's a complex question to which I cannot currently give a simple answer." But responses like that are usually best left for the doctor's office. Even good friends often ask me without actually having time for a real answer.
There was a long period of time when I would have had to answer any questions about how I was doing with a truthful, and distinct, "Shitty!" People don't do that, of course. But why not? For one, some may be reluctant to use such vocabulary. One doesn't really want to actually tell everyone - and possibly quite verbosely - what's wrong and how they're actually doing. And lastly, most of the time the person asking doesn't really want an answer. It's a ritual that has gotten out of control. Androids working on a spaceship can answer the question with a simple, "I am functioning within normal parameters." Normal people are caught in a maelstrom of absentmindedness. An undertow that begins with a supposed act of politeness. Yet the opposite of "good" is "well-intentioned". How polite is it ultimately to begin a conversation with a question to which the asker doesn't expect an answer? The polite phrase in turn becomes the actual act of impoliteness.
Yet no matter how correct or incorrect my philosophical perception is, it won't at all change that this question of feigned interest in one's own well-being in life will continue to be asked. And because it happens a lot more frequently than once per year, it's worth the effort of thinking about it. Many times this question has only confused me. I couldn't exactly formulate how I was really doing. At the time when I was asked I may not have had any acute pain at all. An hour before, sure. Or the pain disappeared thanks to an Imigran injection. On top of that, I may have woken up a number of times in the night because of the pain.
No, in moments like those I don't know how I'm doing. I'm happy when I realise that I am, that I actually exist. How should I answer the question now? After all, the answer doesn't matter, because the question is nothing more than an empty phrase.
What did matter to me was the fact that I also confused myself when this question was posed to me. Now what should I do? First it's helpful to tell whether the asker has any sincere or professional interest, or none at all. Is the question being asked by a doctor, therapist, or concerned friends? Or from a neighbour who happened to see me while out shopping?
In the second instance - the cliché - I tend to reply with the most negative of the generally acceptable answers: "I'm fine." I could also opt to volley with, "I'm fine. And you?" However, in the event that the asker does not tick in the same way I do, I could cause a possible double spiral with an uncontrollable undertow effect. So it's better to just leave it.
I tried for a time to deflect the question with humour, like replying, "Is it bad people who are always doing well, or the other way around?" I always preferred that over a positive answer that didn't match up with the truth.
Whosoever can do it naturally has an easy time of it. The ghost is gone with a simple, "Good." "Pretty good" also works for those who want to weaken it a bit. An empty phrase should be treated like one. It is not the specific asker's fault that it causes such puzzlement in me. As is often the case, one's own evaluation is also the pertinent and impressionable factor.
Now I'd like to go back to the first instance. We're asked by somebody with actual interest, be it a doctor, a therapist, or a friend. Those who work in a healing profession have naturally earned an honest answer, because anything else would not help the matter. I have since begun asking friends if they want a polite or an honest answer. And that works extraordinarily well.
But no matter how much I prepare myself, what steps I take or concoct, I simply don't like being asked about how I'm doing.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 3:34pm

Two-Class Society

How often is frequent, how intense is severe, and how much is too much?
Pain cannot be measured. It very likely, almost to the point of certainty, differs from one person to the next. Years in the self-help group have shown me that every sufferer has their own cluster headache that can also morph over time. Along with the many minor differences that also cannot be measured on a scale, there is also one major difference.

Have you ever fainted?
All pain patients - pain because of headache, back pain, rheumatic pain, or cancer pain - are asked to measure the severity of their pain on a scale from 0 to 10, whereby 0 always means no pain, and 10 equals the greatest pain imaginable. Now, there should be a certain unanimity about what no pain feels like. But from my own observations I know that the opposite end of the scale behaves quite differently. How is one supposed to know what the greatest pain imaginable is without having experienced it?

My personal scale is ordered as follows:

0.      No pain
1.      More like discomfort than pain
2.      Slight, but distinct pain
3.      Pain
4.      Pain that does not allow me to concentrate on anything else
5.      Pain that still allows me to be social if absolutely necessary
6.      Things get really unpleasant from here on out
7.      The pain begins to eliminate all other perception. I no longer notice whether it's hot or cold, even if it's way too cold
8.      Loss of fine motor skills, I can no longer tie my shoes
9.      I am not receptive, I do not register the sensation of touch
10.      Frenzy, self-harm, fainting

I did not invent these steps in the scale. I have personally experienced them. Each and every one of them, and many more. Experiencing the last step - fainting from pain - splits cluster headache sufferers into two distinct camps. Whether or not the sufferer has woken up on the cold kitchen tiles in the middle of the night or not changes their perspective. This very experience shaped my attitude greatly.
I used to believe that it "has to leave somehow". Slave away until the cows come home. Grit your teeth. I don't have anything anyway. It only hurts. And then it came one time - my acquaintance with the cold kitchen floor. I had no idea how I had gotten to that point, nor how long I had been lying there. It was still dark outside, and it was cold. My eyes opened again and I found myself over-chilled on the floor. I was happy that my head didn't hurt anymore, that I was alone, and that nobody had seen me like that. And I was afraid because I was alone and nobody was there to help me.
"Personal responsibility" is the key phrase. We should be responsible in the way we treat ourselves. Still, we often don't: "Don't make such a fuss! Things will turn out okay!" In the meantime I do make a fuss and pay attention to my strain threshold, because my body has made it clear to me in no uncertain terms that sometimes things don't turn out okay.
That frightening first moment of helplessness permanently helps one find the brakes, and then to step on them when need be.
"The world goes on," as the saying goes. Yet those who have passed out from pain learned that sometimes the world doesn't go on. It's just the end, curtains, end of story.
The German band Wolfsheim expressed the following in their 2003 single "Kein Zurück" ("No Going Back"):

The world is beautiful and full of colours.
Until one day you realise,
That not every goodbye,
Means there will be another hello.

Even though songwriter Peter Heppner's words are certainly about something else entirely, I find them profoundly fitting.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #19 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 1:20am

Good posts Rafael - thank you.

Interesting to compare your scale with the Kip scale (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
0. No pain, life is beautiful
1. Very minor, shadow's come and go. Life is still beautiful
2. More persitent shadow's
3. Shadow's are getting constant but can deal with it
4. Starting to get bad, want to be left alone
5. Still not a "pacer" but need space
6. Wake up grumbling, curse a bit, but can get back to sleep with out "dancing"
7. Wake up, sleep not an option, take the beast for a walk and finally fall into bed exhausted
8. Time to scream, yell, curse, head bang, rock, whatever work's
9. The "Why me?" syndrome starts to set in
10. Major pain, screaming, head banging, ER trip. Depressed. Suicidal.

The alignment is pretty close, but the behaviour patterns described show that Kip (who created the scale) appeared to be a "pacer" during his intermediate level CHs and you're not. This is a good example of how pain and our response to it is very much a personal reaction.

I passed out from the pain of a few of my early CHs, which in hindsight from having experienced stronger CHs later on were not that painful is interesting. I've also passed out once from CRPS pain, which is something along with CH that often features on "top 10 most painful conditions" too.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #20 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 4:54pm

Quo Vadis?

You are what you are and you have what you have. But what good does that do in a normal life? Taking stock, the following is revealed:
I am sick and will remain so. My supply of medication is secured and my doctors even respond to e-mails in an emergency. I am known personally at my pharmacy and medical store. Nobody puts obstacles in my way. The logistics are there. My friends and family also know the score. Stories are shared at the self-help group, and my yoga class also promotes balance. Both also provide social contacts for free.
It almost sounds like a beautiful life. And it would be in an advertisement. The pharmaceutical companies like to use ads to suggest that after you take their medications, you'll feel even better than if you had never been sick at all.
But stepping back from the rosy world of marketing into the not-so-colourful reality, the first sentence always applies: I am sick and will remain so. And a regulated supply does not equal the elimination of symptoms.

There is no doubt that work and relationships are two central elements to any person's life. How does the disease, and working with it, specifically fit into one's professional life? (Observations as to how disease and relationships intermingle will follow in the next chapter.)
To be up front about it, work and cluster headache do not go together in many ways. It is quite exhausting to reconcile the two in some way. And it's hard for me to not get angry about this topic. It's even harder to find out what, or whom, I should even be angry at.

But I'd like to start from the beginning. My academic career was unremarkable and linear. After kindergarten and primary school I attended the Gymnasium, and graduated with a diploma after the normal period. I performed my community service thereafter. Then, with my university entrance qualifications in my pocket I attended the Ruhr University Bochum to study mechanical engineering. The extremely impersonal studies at this grey, concrete palace was not an environment entirely conducive to my own sense of happiness. I also had to involuntarily leave my parents' home around this time, and I was left to digest a not-so-pretty separation.
I counteracted this first bump in my life by changing colleges and attending the Bochum University of Applied Sciences. In retrospect I was not particularly worried about the future for the following period of time, to put it mildly. I worked odd jobs more than I studied. It got to the point that I was only attending classes once per semester, and that was just to enroll again. I was what is referred to as an eternal student. But because I was getting good work at the time, I wasn't much bothered by it.
I led my life away from a regulated nine-to-five office job. I wasn't really a dropout who sails around the world, but more like a soldier of fortune, though not an unhappy one. German TV-Truckers Franz Meersdonk and Günther Willers had had in impact on me. I got my truck driver's license and became the Jobbing King at a forwarding company. I was doing well, my job was fun, and I got the necessary respect in the form of cars fresh out of the factory. It was a nice time. It could have just gone on like that, and I would have stuck with the job. But when the company moved in the late 1990s, things would go differently from then on. I had to commute a very inconvenient distance.
At this time the EDP industry was booming and was now known as IT. Companies were all employing someone who knew how PCs tick. In the current of this IT boom I was easily able to switch from trucker to IT support. I actually knew enough about computers to be able to hold my own at my first job in the field. I also learned quickly on the job and was even able to improve my professional skills.
Admittedly, I was still an officially registered student. Yet I had not seen in the inside of a lecture hall in a long time, and I had taken just as few exams in all that time. I was now nearly 30 years old and was used to my life as a soldier of fortune. Nothing unusual happened to me. To look at it practically, I had at the very least arranged for my own survival, but not my future. I knew that, too, but I masterfully suppressed it. After all, I didn't have the worst job at a large computer retailer in Dortmund.
While this job went very smoothly, and I had a partner in my personal life whom I really wanted to be with, the disease slowly reached its hand out to me. I woke up ever more frequently in the night with infernal headaches. I tried one common headache medication after another, and in greater quantities, to no avail. Despite an entire series of tests, not one doctor was able to say what was wrong with me.
At least I knew that it wasn't a brain tumour, which I originally had a distinct and great fear of. Because these extremely severe pains always struck at the same location, I was certain that it must be something in my head that doesn't belong there. To this very day I still have the MR scans of my brain that thankfully don't show any such foreign bodies.
Three things then happened shortly thereafter. The pain not only came at night, but also during the day. The gold rush of the IT boom was over, and my company slowly began laying off all workers who didn't have children. This left me out on the street. Plagued by pain and unemployed, I no longer offered my partner any serious prospects and in this part of my life, too, I was soon out on a limb. (I will explain why I accepted this decision so easily in a later chapter.)

With that, my life collapsed into a shambles astonishingly quickly. Just turned 30, no professional prospects, and suffering from an unknown disease, I sat at home alone every night, knowing less and less what to do with my life. I thus found myself in the middle of a classic spiral of depression. My finances were approaching zero. My bank account was empty, my car was broken, and I had absolutely no idea how I would go on. It took a drastic turn of events in the form of a diagnosis of my disease just for me to get any kind of outlook on the future. After I finally knew what the enemy in my head was years later, I could deal with it first and then come up with ideas for a professional existence.
My CV was, of course, a disaster. With no completed higher education and with holes bigger than Swiss cheese, I had no need to form any realistic expectations of regular employment. Working independently was the fallback. So I tried holding my own by programming websites and repairing computers. It's no surprise that starting out is always difficult. In my case, however, continuing was just as hard. Anyone plagued by severe, constant pain for an average of three out of twelve months in the year cannot generate the finances to survive. I often had to cancel appointments, or hurried to the customer's toilet to take a shot of Imigran.
That was better than banging my throbbing head against the wall. In addition, the question wasn't how well that works, but for how long. Addled from the Imigran, I made more than one mistake and at least one time it would almost not have been able to be hidden or amended. I took this as a red flag, because the very real recourse claims following one serious mistake could not be my objective.
However, this episode was a step in the right direction. Thanks to contacts I had made and my disability which was now recognised, it was possible for me to have an education individually funded by the labour committee. Two years after signing the agreement, I passed my final exams and have since been a digital and print media designer: design and technology.
I had tinkered with computers for years, and in that time I learned that educated technicians are not necessarily more competent than I am. So I spoke before the Chamber of Industry and Commerce and was given the chance to take an external exam. Four months later I passed this test as well. Now I can not only call myself a media designer, but also a system integration technician.
It sounds good, and it also felt very good. Now everything could be good, or at the very least better. But, sadly, it wasn't. After my last exams I felt like I had fallen into a hole. Yet the headache journal quite prosaically revealed that the number of headache attacks had continued to rise one month before. If the exams had been just one or two weeks later, the result probably would have looked different. And although time and feeling would have been kicking off again, my head was very stubbornly thwarting my plans, because what followed was one of the most intense episodes up until that time.
Following my small round of exams was an episode at the epicentre of which I could not sleep for one entire night over 18 straight weeks, and experienced up to six attacks per day. At the end I had a new medication schedule and multiple treatments that helped me get back on my feet. I ultimately landed in competent facilities and was able to learn a lot about coping strategies and acceptance of the disease.
Regardless, it would take well over a year for me to turn my inward perspective back outward. That is where I stand now. Despite my handicap brought on by chronic illness, I now have two professions and am no longer without any higher education.
But my life story is by no means a textbook example. It will surely continue to be a source of furrowed brows and shaking heads among the decision-makers at HR departments. This doesn't bode well for my competitive chances. Not to mention that I misjudged myself with my choice of career. The employers of media designers and IT specialists are quite frequently small agencies who are, in practice, at the mercy of the needs, desires, and moods of the customer. In the advertisement the customer provides the required materials at the last minute at the earliest, but still sets the deadline for "yesterday". Of course this results in irregular work hours and peak periods of stress that I am no longer built for.
The modern world is a society of output that I can't keep up with anymore. Because I was a soldier of fortune in my first decade on the workforce, I unfortunately never put down roots that allow me to remain employed despite my disability. So I try finding a new field to work in. However, what that field exactly is has remained unclear both to myself and to anyone else. My disability cannot be fathomed, not by me and especially not by a third party. After all, pain cannot be seen and I have no way of predicting when the next episode that is so intense that I am completely unemployable once more will occur.
I only know that even in symptom-free times, I can no longer compete with healthy candidates. Even though cluster headache isn't a psychosomatic disease, every form of stress and overstimulation has palpable negative consequences. I have to consider whether that suits me or not in the interest of self-responsibility. I should even try not getting angry at the fact that I can no longer do things the way I would like to. That, too, is a form of stress and it leads to spirals with a current pulling in the wrong direction.
Presently, I'm fascinated by people who don't have a career in order to accumulate as much material profit as possible, but rather who pursue a career that fulfils them. Naturally I would be happy to not depend on material things, but career and wealth don't constitute worthy objectives for me anymore. I can't imagine being any happier with 5,000 euros per month than I would be with 1,500 euros. But someone with 1,500 euros is happier than they would be with 500. With income that low, the person is too close to the poverty line, and by definition they are even below it. Great restrictions have to be set, and a broken washing machine becomes an immense problem, and the result is more stress.
Isn't it wonderful that a severe, chronic disease that causes permanent disability makes one into a more frugal person?
Now to get back to the harsh world of work. Nearly every job ad seeks applicants who are as flexible and durable as possible. I have even found the word "stress-resistant" as a requirement before. The society of output cannot be proclaimed any clearer than that. When I read such ads all I can do is let out a quiet sigh. I cannot meet these requirements without hurting myself in the process. But then I keep on reading until I find the attributes I seek: "diligent" or "thorough".
So why not just go back to school for a new trade? Because I'm not a bricklayer with bad knees, or a construction worker with a bad back. I'm severely disabled. I have actually been invited to such interviews after my benefits expired upon 78 weeks of unemployment. And the problem wasn't that nobody wanted to help out. Rather, it's finding something suitable. To exaggerate slightly, I suffer from a social intolerance.
This situation always results in creative to ludicrous ideas: professions often beyond the realm of most normal people, like glass eye designer, stonecutter, or shepherd suddenly seem quite interesting. But there are far too few open positions in these fields, and so the ideas remain ideas.
For a long time there was no clear solution to this dilemma in sight. The only thing that was certain was that trying nothing is also a conscious decision - and the worst. You can never be one hundred per cent sure that something is going to work. But you can be absolutely certain that doing nothing will never work. Either way, a solution can suddenly appear out of thin air. Things can happen that can neither be planned nor predicted.
This is the fortune that befell me when I ultimately found a suitable job. When all is said and done, my only confession is that I am not built for a full-time, 40-hour workweek, and perhaps I never will be. But this applies to all jobs, and I can't hold that against them. Once it was out of style, I was able to learn that there are still professions in which a human being is treated like one instead of walking capital.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #21 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 6:57am

Relationship Issues

When I talk about this topic it's easy to get angry, but it's much harder to be clear as to what I'm actually angry about.
I live alone. I have lived alone for most of my life. I have no dog, and there isn't a ficus to be found in my flat. If I had a dog, I guarantee it would have had to do its business right here in the flat from time to time. Every potted plant would have wilted. Cacti wouldn't stand a chance.
When I was living with my parents I unfortunately never learned what a happy family looks like. So as a young man I had no ambitions to make one for myself. After some adventures, some significant and some not, I found myself in a situation in which there was a woman whom I felt I wanted to grow old with. Wild oats had been sown, the sea had calmed down, and I felt like I was in the right port. It was sort of the wrong time to get sick, but that's the way it happened. Night after night these pains, and nobody who could explain them to me. I thought it was a brain tumour and was no longer very good at creatively planning a future. My partner had (and probably still has) a distinct sense of security. A civil servant who always had about two months' wages saved up in her checking account. That doesn't fit particularly well into the life plan of someone who's just starting to give up.
I lost my job promptly thereafter, and I felt thoroughly abandoned by everything that can abandon someone. Job gone, woman gone, and always the pain that not one doctor could explain. From my perspective at the time, I was the textbook example of a social failure. It would take years for me to dig myself out of this hole. Why bother talking to another female? So I can get a headache during a date?
I since learned that it was cluster headache, and I had medication so that I could at the very least deal with it better. And there actually was another female who crossed my path and who enticed my spirits to come back out of the mausoleum that they had retreated into. But these spirits had to endure a long struggle with my mind. Over - no joke - the span of one whole year my journal is filled with frequent, imploring entries. "Forget it!" I ordered myself with changing reasoning. But it ended the way it had to end. Ultimately, the beguiling aroma won.
She, a highly energetic and egomaniacal dragon. I, the opposite, and sometimes too careful. Whereas she considered the impossible possible, I would let an opportunity pass me by out of excessive precaution. This combination can make a strong team, and for a while it worked for us. With her I was able to get a few things moving that I would have needed much longer to initiate if I had been alone.
In my last serious relationship I had learned that the partner's problems are always amplified when they sympathise. The other's pains also hurt them. But when it comes to cluster headache, the pain of an attack just has to be accepted. In that moment I don't want consolation, I don't want soothing words or any type of closeness. I am alone with the raging in my head, and that's how I want it. And so every time, I snub whomever is there at my side at the time. It may happen multiple times per day.
Yet when the attack is over and the pain has faded away, and I - wrung out like I just ran a marathon - push my bottle of oxygen away from me, it looks very different. Even though it was long ago, I can still remember well how nice it is to not be alone in those moments, and how much power an embrace can give when it happens.
Interestingly enough, I've always been more attracted to woman of commanding size whom I can look in the eye without having to bend my neck. It also adds a more protective nature to embraces, and that can't function effectively when my partner is a head shorter than me. I have to be able to hold myself tight instead.
This also requires a partner who sits next to me unaffected, and then acts like a commando and is there exactly when I need them. New lovers do this very well, but as routine drags on it becomes more difficult. At least my fortune was not meant to last that long. Our differing natures, which at first had made us strong, were still unable to endure a longer pain episode in the end.
I felt challenged and did not want to surrender myself to the constant pain. I ended up taking too much Imigran as a result, and ultimately found myself in an even deeper hole. I simply overdid it. After all, the opposite of good is well-intentioned. The rest of the story all boils down to a classical allocation of roles. A strong woman looks for an even stronger man. And I was not able to hold that role in the long term.
For the sake of emphasis, a partner who has her own tendencies to be the alpha provides the necessary lack of empathy in order to be able to just watch an episode happen. At some point, the driveling rag that remains will no longer be enough for her.
The partner who does not need a dominant man by her side is very likely to empathetic to be able to endure all of the constant suffering next to her. And so I implore to all sufferers blessed with a partner in the spectrum between the two poles above, and who constantly strengthens them and doesn't get in their way: treat these people with a little more care than somebody should treat the person they love.
And what about those who throw in the towel and vanish into thin air? Well, I'm certain that this isn't a problem specific to clusterheads. One could be paraplegic or go blind from an accident, or suffer from life-changing chronic diseases like multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, epilepsy, or dementia. With the cards dealt to me, I am not the person I once was. And if the sufferer could choose, they would get rid of their disease. The partner has that choice. Can I be disappointed in my partner simply for doing what I would do if I had the option?
I didn't see it that way at the time, of course. I felt as though somebody had torn my heart out and pushed me off of the narrow plank on which I had been treading through life up until then. Pushed me into a freefall toward eternal oblivion. But nobody is stopping me from reassessing a situation. I do not feel good about it, but I feel better.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #22 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 2:54pm

Perspectives

"If you were to be silent, you could be helped," is a phrase the deeper meaning of which has long eluded me. Acceptance of a life-changing disease takes time, but it's necessary.

Men do not stumble over mountains,
but over molehills.
Confucius

More than Pain

It is documented in a medical assessment written about me that I use uncommon terms and descriptions for my symptoms. One astonishingly long assessment in particular must at least have taken longer to write than the time spent with me on site in person. In any case, my uncommon choice of phrasing, according to the assessment, is that I have described my situation as a "complete artwork", and specifically that I must have coined the term "sleep paranoia". It's not enough for an entire work of art, but I did exhibit some symptoms, it continues.
     The assessment states that sleep disorders, concentration disorders, verbal disorders, forgetfulness, and a long-term loss of libido are direct and indirect consequences of the frequent pain. If the pain just lasts long enough, a decrease in physical and mental performance can hardly be prevented. This is all coupled with anxiety and panic attacks. The resulting depression is almost unavoidable.
The following independent symptoms are listed specifically:
•      Sleep disorder G47.0
•      Concentration, reduced F98.8
•      Light cognitive impairment F06.7
•      Other speaking and linguistic disorders R47.8
•      Phobic disorders F40.-
•      Depressive episode F32.-

So there's a lot to treat!
But still not enough. Then there's the alternation between aggression and apathy, auto-aggression with a tendency toward self-harm, lack of motivation and other vegetative disorders, as well as photosensitivity and the aforementioned solar intolerance.
This part of the complete artwork is solely based on the foundation of the constant pain. My constant struggle for a tolerable body mass index is not directly based on it. The pain can't do anything for my tendency for obesity, but it weakens the necessary discipline. There are some medications that don't have a positive impact on this either. Quite logically, this leads to a pain episode also manifesting in weight gain. Actually it's entirely unclear whether my rheumatic pain that has primarily arisen during the cold season for some years now is in any way associated with the cluster headache. Still, they don't help my overall well-being in any case.
That alone would be enough, but the complete artwork includes another component. I grew up under a father who was diagnosed with a narcissistic personality disorder that, year after year, met more criteria for somebody with compulsive hoarding. He is also an alcoholic. I am not saying that he would suffer from these diseases, because others do that already.
Most people will be familiar with the notorious image of a garbage hoarder. For us, it started out with a basement piled up to the ceiling, and then the first garage, followed by the second, ultimately ending with the entire house. Shortly before I turned my back on my parents' house my father began storing our regular household trash in the garage so that he could look through it all again.
Not everyone may know what somebody with narcissistic personality disorder looks like, however. Such people have an overblown sense of importance, and they hope to take on and earn a special position. They exhibit exploitative behaviour and a lack of empathy.
People affected by it also show marked sensitivity to criticism, which they often understand globally. This evokes in them a sense of rage, embarrassment, or discouragement. That's why it's not uncommon for a web of intrigue to be woven among the family in particular in order to cast themselves in the "right light". Their perception of actual circumstances is often severely blurred, and is either beautified for the benefit of the narcissistic personality, parts of reality are deliberately falsified, or omitted altogether. The goal is to restore the respect that the narcissist believes has been toppled. This is often done through great self-pity, and combatted with complaining and begging to arouse other peoples' worry and reinforce the narcissist's own innocence. When I learned about the diagnosis and read its symptoms for the first time, it was clear that every trait is present.
So how must one envision such a person? Like someone without pride, and who pays no consideration to anyone and anything! For example, my progenitor got a dog and took it on a visit to his mother - my grandmother. She asked him not to bring the dog into the house. At the time my grandmother was an old lady well over 70 years old, and she simply wasn't comfortable with it. It certainly wouldn't any inconvenience for the dog, since he was allowed to stay out in the yard. My father simply didn't care about his mother's own wishes, and he brought the dog into her home. That in itself isn't the end of the world, but it's a typical example of how people like that behave. Coupled with a propensity for bravado and the tendency to put things in the "right" light, this results in a lack of understanding of circumstances in one's own environment even after decades.
To give another example: in my childhood bedroom my father installed an adjustable panel under the ceiling that could be lowered, and a race car track and model train set were mounted onto it. It was cool, no doubt. Admittedly, it was also something special that nobody else had. So I still have uncles, aunts, and other relatives who believe that my progenitor actually took care of his children.
In this instance I actually got to benefit, but my father did not construct this extraordinary kid's room to make friends out of my sister and me. Rather, it served as a vehicle for his self-presentation. The entire thing was displayed happily. The methodology was actually effective, too, because there are people who still remember it and the thing they actually draw from it is, "You kids actually had it really good."
Yet those same people either forgot, or did not notice at the time, that the same actor would have a drop too much at every family event and then take the wheel with two kids in the back seat. You could also ask them who ended up giving water to the dog. It wasn't him, of course. It was my grandmother.
This lack of empathy was also present in our father-son relationship, and it was very distinct as early as my childhood. No matter what I did and how much I tried, it was not good enough for my father or he simply wasn't interested, regardless what it was about. I even "failed" when sweeping the garage and he would just do it over again. There was simply nothing that met up to his standards. The fact that he treated other people the same way did not make things any more bearable for me as a kid.
Luckily, the worst aggressors are still just people, and they are neither perfect nor infallible. My progenitor was a competent craftsman, but once things got moving he couldn't find where to start. So in my youth I turned to things that he had no reference to and that he couldn't judge. When I was twelve years old I bought my first computer, a Commodore C64. It let me create a world free from my father's criticism.
Yet the ramifications remain frighteningly deeply rooted to this day. When someone acts like my father around me, I have to take a deep breath to prevent any spontaneous acts of defiance from myself.
These experiences didn't exactly work wonders for my self-confidence. Now, with my sickness, I'm no longer able to meet expectations. At least not for the time being. This is where childhood conditioning meets neurological disorder, amplifying all of their psychosomatic effects.

We have a complete artwork, a damn tall and wobbly Jenga tower that is hard to stabilise. But hard is not the same as impossible. Discovering this connection was shocking, but also a source of motivation. My father is the last person I want to see affecting my life. Even today he still terrorises parts of my family, and has disrupted their cohesion for the long term. The last thing I can allow is for him to worm his way back into my life from afar, even though as a child I never learned how to build up the self-confidence that is now required to endure this disease. Now I have to. Thankfully, adversity and anger are powerful motivators!
My personal foundation of the complete artwork is supplemented by some general effects of chronic illnesses and disabilities. The State Self-Help Association of NRW e.V. and the Network Office for Women and Girls with Disability/Chronic Illness NRW are currently conducting a study on depression and psychosomatic disorders caused by disability/chronic illness, funded by the AOK Rheinland/Hamburg and AOK NordWest health insurance companies. So far the study has shown that, regardless of the type of illness, an entire range of effects manifest in all sorts of patients. When the first results of this long-term study were presented during a presentation at the 8th roundtable discussion of the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians Westfalen-Lippe, I was sitting in the auditorium and felt as though it was my story being presented up there.
One physical symptom which I am obviously not the only person subjected to is known as general fatigue. This in itself entails a long list of physical problems:
•      Loneliness and isolation: If the number of attacks is so high that I will most likely have to expect an attack in public, I keep my public presence to a minimum.
•      Overload: If I lose too much time because of frequent pain, this sensation sets in very quickly.
•      Helplessness and fear: I never know when it will begin and when it will stop again. I can no longer act as though I'm reacting to symptoms.
•      Fear that the disease will return: Even in symptom-free times, the sword of Damocles that is the next attack is constantly hanging over me. I have experienced the sudden recurrence of the disease all too often.
•      Fear of becoming a burden to my partner, and a lack of understanding by my partner: Because I learned how to be unimportant when I was still a child, this applies to me far more than I would like.
•      Lack of sensitivity from doctors: I'm fortunate to have left this behind me.
•      Working with officials or bureaucratic structures: This was often quite difficult because of office employees' ignorance of disability- and disease-specific strains and needs. Since I began owning my own disabled person identification, however, these strength-sapping encounters are much more uncommon now. The other person's level of knowledge doesn't increase, but with an ID it's clearly assumed that the impairments are serious.
•      Work and finances: Money generally improves one's scope of opportunities. A lack of money traps one in the opposite situation. Living with chronic diseases is thus distinguished by lifelong limitations, deprivations, and exhausting encounters.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) defines the conditions for health as follows: "The prerequisites for health are peace, shelter, education, social security, social relations, food, income, the empowerment of women, a stable eco-system, sustainable resource use, social justice, respect for human rights, and equity." But under such conditions it's hard to develop and maintain the vital energy and joie de vivre, energy, and optimism that make it easier to deal with sickness-induced stress. I have come to understand it as a challenge to work out and apply my own management strategies despite this.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 3:34pm

15 Minutes

One of my most concrete handicaps as a clusterhead is the lack of ability to plan my life.
Time passes me by when I'm not doing well. Time even passes me by when I'm doing well, because I have to keep my disease organised.
Because the disease is not sufficiently well-known and doesn't have a terrifying nature like Parkinson's or multiple sclerosis, the fight for acceptance takes up far too much time. I have long thought that it is time completely wasted for no reason. But because the disease and the pain associated with it cannot just be wished away, I have the option to expose myself to everything that may come my way, like a cork in the ocean. Or I can prepare myself, as I describe in the chapter "Logistics of a Chronic Illness". In the meantime I have learned that the effort has been, and continues to be, worth it. I simply have to keep depositing into this account for a while before any profits are generated.
Yet it still eats a lot of time. And sometimes it eats too much.
The average nighttime attack lasts about 30 minutes. What exactly do these 30 minutes mean? I measure it as the net pain period: the specific period in which I sit with my breathing mask over my nose, next to my bottle of oxygen, trying to breathe peacefully and evenly, and to remain calm despite the pain. After a few hundred times I actually became rather trained to it, and I'm getting ever better at it. I was asleep before these 30 minutes, then I had to wake up, and afterward the pain has forced me awake to the point that I can't just fall back asleep right away. This equates to an interruption of my sleep of at least 60 minutes.
When something like that happens occasionally, the body can learn to cope with it. But when it happens every night, it can deplete the body. I ultimately torture myself. My own experience tells me that if I want to compensate for the disruption to my night's rest, it's not enough to just make up for the lost time. This time can certainly be doubled, leaving us with two hours. Together with the disruption, 30-minute pain attacks mean that one would have to wake up an entire three hours later than someone who treats their body responsibly.
That's the calculation for one nighttime attack. What does the projection for up to three attacks look like? This adds up over a number of weeks. My personal record sits at 18 weeks during which I could not sleep one entire night. If anyone is able to maintain a normal schedule despite that, I respectfully tip my hat to them. I cannot do it. My journal includes this entry for a day following three nighttime attacks: "I can still feel the imprints from the freight train that must have run me over in the night."
In addition to the nights are the days. Here I have the advantage of being able to recognise an attack in advance through its warning signs. At night the pain usually tears me out of my sleep. During the day I feel the harbingers, because my attacks have an advance period of about 15 minutes. These 15 minutes are also the only thing I can take stock of. I don't know if I'll be better in a half-hour, and I am rarely able to make a prediction. Cluster attacks come from out of the blue with this little warning sign, at any possible and impossible opportunity. While taking a walk, riding my bicycle, going to the movies, taking a holiday or going to a funeral. And yes, the first night spent with a wonderful woman.
Upon experiencing it hundreds of times, I've grown cautious. Sometimes I'm directly on the border of paranoia. At least I only very begrudgingly make appointments in the midst of an attack, and am quite reluctant to set a schedule. All too often have I not been able to observe appointments, or had to cancel or at least interrupt them, because of entirely unpredictable headache attacks. Too frequently have I crawled up in some corner or hidden in bathrooms. For some years now these moments have lost some of their terror thanks to my medication, and Imigran in particular.
But the 15 minutes are still there. I will never know how I'll be doing in half an hour.

IP Logged

Rafael
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #24 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 11:55am

Headache

When people are worried about something, they like to say, "This is giving me a headache." And so an everyday colloquialism ends up breaking the neck of the seriously, chronically ill. Tumours aren't thrown around quite so lightly. "Tumour is when you laugh regardless," would be considered dark as night.
There are a number of expressions found in everyday speech that all reveal how external influences affect well-being. For example, an uncomfortable conversation can "make your stomach queasy", and a fright can "make your heart go up to your mouth", or even "curdle your blood". If something makes us mad, this can cause make our "veins pop" and we could "jump out of our skin". Then it that doesn't help, we're "sick of it". We also get "pale from fear", "red with rage", and our hair can "stand on end".
These psychosomatic connections have merged into colloquial speech. And yet the headache has been taken a step further. Headaches have become established as an international excuse for the displeasure at physical proximity. This leads to such cheap jokes as, "Here darling, your Aspirin. - But I don't have a headache. - Great, then we can shag." And the schlager song "I've Got a Headache this Evening" by Ireen Sheer stayed on the charts for weeks, and to this day it remains a standard every time you want to go nine-pin bowling.
Headache is an accepted, momentary ailment, but nothing more. It can even serve as an excuse and apology. It is tolerated as the result of excessive alcohol consumption, but is not considered a serious sickness.
It goes without saying that these are indeed headaches in both cases. Yet this terminology, and its sometimes ridiculous social entanglements, are at fault for the trivialisation - and thus the lack of acceptance - of the headache as a serious illness. Personally, I would much prefer it if the WHO were to use the term erythroprosopalgia in its diagnosis classifications instead of "cluster headache".
When somebody is asked what disease they have, the patient experiences clear differences in the intensity of their concern. Cancer always gives way to great concern, as do Parkinson's or multiple-sclerosis. This is where you spontaneously think, "Thank God I don't have that." And that does not happen with the term "headache". The initial thought here is more along the lines of, "Yeah, I've had that." This small change in perception and reaction by the other party has ultimately had a major impact on people suffering from it.
There is no escape from this vicious cycle, let alone the stupid sickness. All the same, public relations work and the associated clarification have improved the situation somewhat.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!