Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Panadol Extra (Read 9370 times)
John2
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Panadol Extra
Reply #25 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 8:00pm

Hoppy,

Chiming in here with some local info.

Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride is available in Australia over the counter. A search of the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme list of medications returns no result for Diphenhydramine, so a GP would not be able prescribe it.
The GP could however, write you a nice letter requesting the drug, that you could show the Pharmacist and that would be pretty hard for them to argue with. My letter works wonders at the pharmacy counter.

I have to say that I have experienced a degree of reluctance on the pharmacist's part to hand it over to anyone other than the person who intends to take it. It is a controlled drug in Australia so the pharmacist may want to talk to you about it in person, look at your current medications etc.

Having said that, if you tell the Pharmacist you are having trouble sleeping, which clearly you are with the beast hitting, they may offer the OTC drug branded "Snooz Aid", which is Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride.

Gee, that's a long wait for blood test results... I find Pathology testing in Australia particularly quick. I routinely get 25(OH)D status within 48 hours of test completion and get this info by calling my GP on the phone. He gladly advises me what the figure is. Maybe give your GP a call Hoppy. That 25(OH)D status is an important one.

Good luck! Wink

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #26 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 7:47pm

G'day John, from what we have found out so far, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride is only available in 50mg Liquid Filled Soft Capsules here in OZ. So I bought some today and will see how I go.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2018 at 6:32am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #27 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 12:45pm

Hoppy,

I'd start by taking two of the 50 mg Diphenhydrmine soft gels a day, one each at least 4 to 6 hours apart.  If there's no joy, I'd try 50 mg four times a day 3 to 4 hours apart.  This will make you drowsy so don't drive if at all possible.   The 24-hour max total dose is 400 mg.  If there's no joy after a week of this, discontinue the Diphenhydramine as an allergic reaction is doubtful.

Don't forget diet...  Zero sugars, processed fruit juice soft drinks and refined starches.  Avoid all wheat products...  Basically a ketogenic diet.  Drink at least 2.5 liters of water a day.

Take care and please keep us posted.
V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #28 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 7:15pm

Batch, I forgot to mention that I'm also taking, 150mg CoQ10/day, Tresos Activated B Pluse "activated Bs & Selenium" one a day, Curcumin clinical strength 15,800mg equivelent tumeric 2/day, Vitamin C 2000mg/day, 2.5lts water, together with the daily vitamin D regiment. The vitamin D3 50 arrived today.

Cheers hoppy
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2018 at 12:21am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #29 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 2:12am

I'm still getting no relief from the beast! Three attacks a day, same time every day, aborted with oxygen and Iptam, looks like I'll just have to ride this cycle out.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #30 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 2:49am

I feel for ya,  Hoppy,  and it's one of the few times a bloke can say,  "Yeah,  I understand"  and really mean it.

When things got real bad for me I'd often look back to stuff that worked in the past but got overtaken by new ideas and forgotten about.  Ergotomine is a prime example of something that was great for a while,  became a dud,  then next thing you know it's the magic bullet!

I've always believed that if you don't look at all the alternatives then there's no point looking at any of them and that's what has brought us so far forward in trying to control this beast.

Hey,  it's also a long time since anyone has mentioned the famous frozen banana treatment!

We're all in this together,  Hoppy,  and we all know there's going to be a happy ending.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #31 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 6:25pm

Thanks Brian, Yeah! Migral, I was on it every Spring and Autumn for decades! Worked ok if you caught it in time, otherwise a 20min wait  Smiley, and then Imigran, same deal. So, I've found Iptam works best for me and with it's long half life, allows me to get out and about between attacks, and then I have the oxygen at home when required.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2018 at 6:49pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #32 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:43am

Looks like the beast has left my head! No attacks since 8am yesterday morning, 7th November, and the only thing I can put it down to is the vitamin D regimen + the extra vitamins Batch suggest I add, so thankyou Batch, for all your help in getting me out of this Spring cycle.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2018 at 1:31am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #33 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 2:29am

Hoppy,

Great news! Glad to hear you've got the CH beast back under control.

Take care and cheers,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

John2
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #34 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 10:50pm

Glad you're pain free Hoppy! Did you ever find out your 25(OH)D levels?

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #35 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 1:42am

John, It was 120nmol/L (48ng/ml), but now I'm back in the green zone, and free from the beast.

Hoppy
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2018 at 2:01am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!