Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
25(OH)D serum concentration (Read 1914 times)
numbnose
CH.com Newbie

Ireland
25(OH)D serum concentration
Oct 24th, 2018 at 8:32am

Hi foks,
I had a most annoying GP visit yesterday.
He would not entertain the research in the CH Preventative Treatment Protocol for Neurologists pdf.

I requested a test of my serum concentration 25(OH)D.
He said he had never heard of it and wasn’t going to request a test for something he had no knowledge of and would get a test of my ‘Vit D’
Will that cover it or does the test need to be more specific?

Cheers

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: 25(OH)D serum concentration
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 2:16pm

Hey Numbnose,

Thanks for the feedback.  Howz the head?  CH pain free I hope...

There are only a handful of neurologists who have knowledge of the anti-inflammatory regimen and support its use so it's reasonable to expect comments like his.

The lab tests I always ask for each year at my annual physical or more frequently if I've changed my dose of vitamin D3 are, serum 25(OH)D, calcium and parathyroid hormone (PTH).  The treatment protocol lists these lab tests and their required codes.  I also ask to have a copy of the actual lab results sent to me by email so I can see the actual results and not a doctor's interpretation of the results. 

For example, the normal reference range for the 25(OH)D lab test is 30 to 100 ng/mL (75 to 250 nmol/L).  We've seen too many doctors tell CHers their 25(OH)D was "normal" at 31 ng/mL.  While this is true and a high enough 25(OH)D serum concentration to prevent osteomalacia, the adult version of rickets, it is far too low to prevent CH. We're looking for a therapeutic serum concentration between 80 and 100 ng/mL (200 to 250 nmol/L).

We've also had physicians tell CHers their 25(OH)D status is "too high" at 60 to 90 ng/mL and to stop or reduce the vitamin D3 dose.  This is where the results of lab tests for serum calcium and PTH come in handy as you'll see in the following discussion.

Taken together, these three lab tests tell us our true vitamin D3 status.  As long as serum calcium is within its normal reference range there's no hypercalcemia (Too much serum calcium and the only reliable lab test for vitamin D3 intoxication/toxicity) so there's no vitamin D3 intoxication/toxicity even if the serum 25(OH)D goes above 100 ng/mL. 

For reference, during high pollen/mold spore periods, I need to titrate my vitamin D3 dose up to an average of 35,000 IU/day to avoid a CH burn through.  This results in my serum 25(OH)D going well above 100 ng/mL to as high as 188 ng/mL. 

My PCP knows I'm a chronic CHer and taking the anti-inflammatory regimen to prevent my CH.  He read the treatment protocol I provided and then did some research on his own.   Accordingly, when my annual lab results come back with my 25(OH)D this high he says...  "Your 25(OH)D is high... as usual...  However, as your serum calcium is normal, your PTH is not too low and the rest of your labs look great, I have no problem with your anti-inflammatory regimen and vitamin D3 doses this high."

Hope this helps.  Take car and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

numbnose
CH.com Newbie

Ireland
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:37am

Hi Batch,
No, still in cycle unfortunately. Day 62. 2-3 attacks each day but all very mild compared to what I remember. Enough to wake me but not the agony I remember. All aborted with O2 in 10-15mins.

Thanks for all that info. I'll arm myself better when I see him with my results.

Cheers
Simon

IP Logged

Chuffy
CH.com Veteran

It's just a ride.

x0||United_Kingdom||||
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 6:02am

GP's can be very frustrating when it comes to D3 tests. If you do persuade them to let you have one then you usually don't get an exact figure out of them, just an 'adequate' or whatever.

In the UK I use this Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register for tests. They post it to you and you post it back then get the results via email, usually within a couple of days. Give them a ring and see if they will post to Ireland.

Good luck

IP Logged

numbnose
CH.com Newbie

Ireland
Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 1:20pm

Thanks Chuffy.
Just contacted them and they do indeed.
In fact looks like they ship pretty much worldwide.

IP Logged

Chuffy
CH.com Veteran

It's just a ride.

x0||United_Kingdom||||
Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 5:37am

Nice one

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!