Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil and D3 (Read 1918 times)
jehjr68
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Verapamil and D3
Nov 8th, 2018 at 6:07pm

Could someone clarify if there is an issue here ?  I'm currently not having allot of success with the D3 (testing to happen this week for levels).  It was my understanding that you shouldn't include the Calcium in the regimen while taking Verapamil.  If that's not the case could the lack of calcium be my problem ?

Thanks
Johnny

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: Verapamil and D3
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:00pm

Hi Johnny...welcome aboard!

The quick answer would be that calcium and verapamil do not play well together and ingestion should be separated by 2 hrs...so not necessarily the elimination of the calcium.

HOWEVER,  the BETTER answer would be to talk to your pharmacist. It depends on several factors including: the dosage of each....and the type of verapamil (extended release vs immediate release)...and your own personal health condition (s).

AND... you should ALWAYS inform your Doc/Pharmacist of ALL supplements you are taking....and use the drugs.com or similar drug interaction checker....

See below (from the drugs.com website "drug interaction checker")

Moderate interaction

verapamil  calcium citrate (same for calcium carbonate)

Applies to: verapamil, calcium citrate

Using verapamil together with calcium citrate can decrease the effects of verapamil. Talk with your doctor before using verapamil and calcium citrate together. You may need a dose adjustment or need your blood pressure checked more often if you take both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Best

Jon (my Nano called me Jonny  Wink)
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:03pm by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 1:10am

Hi Johnny and welcome

A perfect answer from Jon around the D3 and calcium.

I've found that pharmacists love answering questions like this as it gives them a real chance to be a pharmacist as opposed to just routine dispensing of drugs.

Any more questions, fire away, we'll help as much as we can.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 6:05pm

Hey Johnny,

If the anti-inflammatory regimen is not preventing your CH, I have a few questions.

What is the frequency of your CH?  Is it 3 or more in a 24 hour period?

Did you start this regimen with the 12-Day accelerated vitamin D3 loading schedule taking 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 for 12 days plus all the cofactors?  The following chart illustrates how this accelerated vitamin D3 loading schedule increases serum 25(OH)D concentrations rapidly to therapeutic levels sufficient to prevent CH.  Without this loading schedule, taking 10,000 IU/day will work but it can take a month or two for some CHers to reach a therapeutic level as illustrated in the time course 25(OH)D response.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Are you taking all the vitamin D3 cofactors listed in the treatment protocol at the following link and illustrated in the photo below?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This photo illustrates the basic anti-inflammatory regimen and doses I take daily.  The Kirkland brand Adult 50+ Mature Multi is formulated with most of the vitamin D3 cofactors.  It just doesn't have enough magnesium or any vitamin K2.  This is why I suggest the Nature Made 400 mg magnesium liquid soft gels and Life Extension's Super K with Advanced K2 complex.  The Mature Multi also contains 200 mg calcium, but that small amount shouldn't interfere with the Verapamil.  Quite a few CHers have started this regimen while taking verapamil and not reported any problems...  My guess is the verapamil wasn't working all that well or you wouldn't have started the vitamin D3

Have you started the 3-Month course of vitamin B complex?

Have you tried a week to 10-Day course of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg four times a day?  This comes in handy if you've an allergic reaction cooking away as an allergic reaction releases histamine that in turn, triggers a CGRP cascade.  When that happens, none of the Standards of Care recommended CH interventions are effective.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2018 at 6:07pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!