Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Benadryl and Melatonin (Read 2265 times)
slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Benadryl and Melatonin
Nov 13th, 2018 at 7:43pm

Has anyone tried both Benadryl and Melatonin at the same time to knock out the night time hits?

I've tried them separately with varying degrees of success in the pasts but never at the same time. 

I'm episodic and in the midst of a bad cycle at the moment with 3-4 hits per night and neither has been effective for me. 
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2018 at 7:44pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Re: Benadryl and Melatonin
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:25pm

Melatonin reportedly helps some people but never did much for me....Benadryl’s purpose is  to enable D3 to do it’s job so if you’re not taking D3 I doubt Benadryl will do much other than  it’s intended purpose with the side affect of making you sleepy.   Sean

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:27pm

Sean McE wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:25pm:
  Melatonin reportedly helps some people but never did much for me....Benadryl’s purpose is  to enable D3 to do it’s job so if you’re not taking D3 I doubt Benadryl will do much other than  it’s intended purpose with the side affect of making you sleepy.   Sean

Yup, I'm currently on Batch's D3 regimen taking 50,000 IU every 3 days and Benadryl every 4 hours including 50mg before bed. 
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2018 at 9:27pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 1:20am

Slacker,

I have taken both together, without any problems. Melatonin can take 7/10 days to work, as they work on a cumulative basis, but certainly worth a try to get a night’s sleep.

10mg Melatonin with 50mg Banadryl in the high pollen and leaf mould seasons, taken about 30 minutes before bed, was my method.

Best of luck.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 1:30am

Thanks Peter.  I'll give it a shot.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 1:27am

Hey Slacker,

That you're still getting whacked by CH taking that much vitamin D3 and Benedryl (Diphenhydramine) suggests a stubborn allergic reaction or a systemic infection of some kind.  The first step is a trip to your PCP for a checkup and lab tests for your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH.  If your 25(OH)D is ≥100 ng/mL, there's no need to increase the vitamin D3 dose.

Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) doesn't stop an allergic reaction.  What it does is block histamine H1 receptors at the genetic layer to slow or stop the effects of histamine released by an allergic reaction.  In our case as CHers, this can help avoid a CGRP cascade.  It appears you're experiencing one now.  During a CGRP cascade none of the CH interventions are effective.

A CGRP cascade can be triggered when an allergen causes mast cells in the trigeminovascular complex to degranulate releasing histamine.  The histamine in turn, causes neurons in the trigeminal gangia to express CGRP and Substance P (SP) which trigger cluster and migraine headache. Both of these neuroactive substances act as allergens causing mast cells to release even more histamine. 

This circular chemical chain reaction results in a flood of CGRP and SP that continues until one or more of the reactants are consumed at which point the CGRP cascade stops and so do CH...  at least until the body recharges mast cells and neurons.

The best course of action involves finding the allergen(s) responsible then minimize your exposure or avoid it completely. You may need the help of an immunologist to ID the offending allergen. Pollen and mold spores are common allergens, but the allergic reactions could easily be caused by a food allergy, a reaction to dust mite poo - dust mites have been with us for thousands of years, or industrial pollutants.

At your present vitamin D3 dose and Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) eliminating the offending allergen can result a rapid decrease in CH frequency.  In short, spending at least 24 hours away from home could result in a cessation of CH if the offending allergen is in your home environment.

Doubling the magnesium and Omega03 fish oil doses for a few days has helped some CHers with similar problems,  Taking 4 to 6 grams a day of liposomal vitamin C and 50 mg/day zinc for a few days can also help reduce the frequency of CH.  If you haven't already done so, taking vitamin B 100 complex has also helped.

Finally, a ketogenic diet with no sugars or wheat products has also helped some CHers break their cycle.

Hope all this helps.  Please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 1:48am

Batch,

Would you still recommend a course of B-100 Complex even though I'm already taking vitamins B-1 (300mg) and B-12 (5000mcg) along with the Kirkland Mature-Multi?

And if so, should I continue to take B-1 and B-12 on top of the B-100?
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2018 at 1:48am by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!