Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ClusterO2 (Read 2529 times)
JimmieDad1
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

ClusterO2
Jan 24th, 2019 at 6:16pm

I was just curious if anyone knew when the ClusterO2 kit might be available again?

I have been diagnosed since 2005 and standard 15lpm with a non-rebreather has been effective. Last cycle that began to change. I now have a 25lpm regulator and would like to pair it with the cluster02 kit for my next cycle. Thanks

Jimmie

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: ClusterO2
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 7:23pm

Hey JimmieDad,

While you're waiting for DJ to restock, build yourself a DIY Redneck Oxygen Reservoir Bag breathing system.  They work great and cost pennies to make. See the following link for DIY details:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Scroll down to post #2585.  If that doesn't work see the following to Dear Supporter.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

Dear Supporter,

I know what you and your husband are going through and the good news is it doesn't need to be that way....

Make a Redneck Oxygen Reservoir Breathing system for your husband.  It will take less than five minutes, a clean kitchen trash bag, the top half of a plastic Coke bottle with cap, the oxygen tubing from the POS disposable oxygen mask that doesn't work (Cut it off at the mask), some Duck Tape and some electrician's tape.

Here's the "How To" as well as the procedure for oxygen therapy your husband will love.

In researching why oxygen regulators with flow rates high enough to support hyperventilation and oxygen demand valves were more effective with shorter CH abort times than a constant flow regulator at 15 liters/minute, I found that lowering serum CO2 was a key component in obtaining fast and reliable CH aborts. 

A lower arterial CO2 content elevates the arterial pH (more alkaline) and this is a more powerful vasoconstrictor than oxygen even at 95% purity from the oxygen concentrator.  The elevated alveolar pH enables blood hemoglobin to upload roughly 15% more oxygen so this turbocharges the blood oxygen flow to the brain to help make the abort even faster and more reliable.

Around 2011 I developed a new method of oxygen therapy called Hyperventilation and Oxygen Therapy that has proven to be just as effective as a 40 liter/minute regulator or an oxygen demand valve in delivering rapid and reliable CH aborts. 

This method of oxygen therapy essentially calls for hyperventilating at forced vital capacity tidal volumes with room air for 30 seconds followed by the inhalation of a lungful of 100% oxygen that's held for 30 seconds before exhaling into the room and repeating the hyperventilation with room air. 

You keep repeating this complete sequence until the CH pain is gone...  usually in 4 to 7 sequences (Minutes).

Hyperventilating with room air accomplishes the same thing as hyperventilating with a regulator set at 40 liters/minute or an oxygen demand valve except it uses no oxygen.  The only oxygen consumed with this method of oxygen therapy is the inhaled lungful ~ 4 liters, that's held for 30 seconds.

This method of oxygen therapy consumes roughly 4 liters of oxygen a minute and results in an average abort time of 7 minutes for a total of 28 liters of oxygen per abort.  That's roughly a tenth the amount of oxygen consumed with each abort with an oxygen demand valve or high flow regulator set at 40 liters/minute.

An explanation of this method of oxygen therapy follows:

Make sure the Redneck reservoir bag is fully inflated. the bottle cap on snugly and the cylinder supply valve is closed. 

Start this procedure by standing to give your diaphragm full range of movement... Dropping your jaw like saying the word "Haw" also helps.  This is important as standing during this procedure helps ventilate the lungs more completely.  Lean against a wall if you get dizzy while using this method of oxygen therapy.  If you get too dizzy, sit erect in a chair.

The next step is exhale forcibly through your mouth until if feels like your lungs are empty...  they're not!  Do an abdominal crunch like doing sit-ups and hold the squeeze until your exhaled breath makes a wheezing sound for a couple seconds.

It sounds terrible but it's a very important part of this method of aborting a CH with oxygen...  This forced exhalation breathing technique will squeeze out another half to a full liter of exhaled breath.  This last volume or end tidal flow of exhaled breath has the highest CO2 concentration and blowing off CO2 is the key to the effectiveness of this procedure.

Then without delay, throw your head and shoulders back and inhale room air as rapidly and deeply as possible until you can't inhale any more.

Again without any delay, use the forced exhalation technique.  Keep repeating this sequence as fast as possible with room air for 30 seconds.  You should be able to complete 10 of these complete cycles in 30 seconds.

At the end of the 30 seconds breathing with this technique, exhale forcibly one more time and hold the squeeze for a good 5 seconds...  then unscrew the Coke bottle cap, place the bottle mouth to your lips and inhale a lung full of 100% oxygen as rapidly as possible and hold it for 30 seconds. Replace the bottle cap, open the cylinder supply valve and set the regulator flow rate at 3 to 4 liters/minute.

I know it's difficult, but try to relax at this point.  While you're waiting, check the regulator is filling the Redneck reservoir bag for the next breath of oxygen.

If you're doing this breathing technique properly, you'll start feeling the symptoms of transient paresthesia and a slight dizziness...  These temporary symptoms of paresthesia include a very slight tingling/prickling of the face, lips, and fingertips.  You'll also experience a slight rush and a chill across your back when you start holding the lungful of oxygen...  Paresthesia is the best indication you've pushed your body into respiratory alkalosis... (Made your blood more alkaline).

At the end of the 30 seconds holding the lungful of oxygen, exhale into the room with a good chest squeeze... then repeat the above sequence until the pain is completely gone...

Be sure to practice this procedure for a few cycles before the cluster beast attacks...

If you start this procedure at the first sign of an approaching CH attack, you should be able to abort the attack in four minutes or less...  and with as little as 16 to 20 liters of oxygen...

If the CH hits while sleeping and is well established or rising, start this procedure as fast as possible.  It will work effectively through pain level 9, (Kip 9), it will just take longer.

I also invented what I call the Redneck Oxygen Reservoir Bag made out of a clean 40 gal trash bag or 30 gal kitchen garbage bag.  I use a plastic Coke bottle with its cap and the bottom cut off.  (The bottle top serves as the mouthpiece), the tubing from an old disposable non-rebreathing oxygen mask, some electrician's tap and some Duck tape.  After the Coke bottle mouthpiece has been inserted through one corner of the bag's bottom and the oxygen tubing through the other corner, I seal both with electrician's tape for an air tight seal then close the open end of the bag with a strip of Duck tape as illustrated in the following photos.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It turns out my Redneck Reservoir bag works exceptionally well with an oxygen concentrator or low flow rate oxygen regulator.  You make sure the cap is secure on the Coke bottle then plug the oxygen tubing into the barb fitting on the oxygen concentrator and turn it on.  When the Red Neck Reservoir is filled completely, turn off the oxygen concentrator or cylinder supply valve.  The Red Neck Reservoir is now ready for use to abort a CH using the method described above.  All you need to do is unscrew the Coke bottle cap to inhale the lungful of oxygen then replace the cap.  It also helps to turn on the concentrator or open the cylinder supply valve.

Other than the cost at less than $1 in piece parts, there's one more benefit of this contraption... There is no inhalation resistance and your husband will be able to inhale a big lungful of oxygen easily as many times as needed.

Hope this helps...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

JimmieDad1
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 9:29pm

Thank you,

I should have a month or so before I need to worry about that. You think it will be restocked by then?

I also have prednisone, verapamil, triptan injections, triptan nasal spray, and a standard non-rebreather with 25lpm ready to go already so I have it better than a lot of guys.

I also have some stuff recommended over at clusterbusters that sometimes kills a cycle and sometimes does nothing.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 10:44pm

Welcome aboard and it's great to see a ClusterMate with an arsenal full and ready to go.

It's all in the planning,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

JimmieDad1
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 11:00pm

Thanks

I'm in Colorado now, but I spent some a couple weeks in Australia in 2005 while deployed with USMC. Beautiful place.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2019 at 6:07pm

Hey JimmieDad,

Thank you for your Service.  I managed four delightful port calls in Australia '71-'81, two in Sidney and two in Fremantel-Perth while embarked in fighter squadrons on USS Hancock, USS Midway and as Gun Boss on USS Kitty Hawk.  The longest we were ever able to stay on these port calls was four days and three nights per 7th Fleet standing orders. 

Have you considered adding vitamin D3 to your CH fighting arsenal?  Its very safe, effective and inexpensive.  The CH preventative treatment protocol follows.

Take care,
V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

JimmieDad1
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2019 at 9:44pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I came across that regimen over at clusterbusters and have been on it for a while now.

I only had the chance to stop in Australia that one time aboard Pearl Harbor, but did get a chance to visit quite a few other places during my time in.

IP Logged

JimmieDad1
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2019 at 9:45pm

Oh, and the O2 kit is back in stock as of today. I have one on the way  Smiley

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2019 at 3:07pm

JimmieDad1 wrote on Jan 25th, 2019 at 9:45pm:
Oh, and the O2 kit is back in stock as of today. I have one on the way  Smiley

May it arrive quickly and then gather dust as CH stays away.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!