Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Emgality! A new CH prevenative. (Read 3661 times)
Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Emgality! A new CH prevenative.
Mar 10th, 2019 at 10:39pm

Press Release: (partial)
Lilly Receives FDA Priority Review Designation for Emgality® (galcanezumab-gnlm) Injection for the Preventive Treatment of Episodic Cluster Headache in Adults
03/05/2019
INDIANAPOLIS, March 5, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Priority Review for its supplemental Biologics License Application (sBLA) for Emgality® (galcanezumab-gnlm) injection for the preventive treatment of episodic cluster headache in adults. Priority Review aims to expedite the review of applications for drugs that, if approved, could potentially represent a significant advancement in treatment for a serious condition.
The sBLA is based on data from a Phase 3 study that evaluated the safety and efficacy of Emgality (galcanezumab-gnlm) injection 300mg in 106 adult patients with episodic cluster headache. Emgality was previously granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation by the FDA in September 2018 for the preventive treatment of episodic cluster headache, indicating the significant unmet need for this debilitating condition for which there are currently no approved preventive medications.
"Cluster headache is a severely disabling and excruciatingly painful neurological disorder. Few treatment options are available, and only a limited body of research from rigorous clinical trials exists. We are pleased the FDA has granted Priority Review for our sBLA, acknowledging the need for new treatments for this devastating disease and bringing us closer to potentially offering a preventive treatment option for these patients," said Gudarz Davar, M.D., vice president, Neurology Development, Lilly Bio-Medicines.
Cluster headache belongs to the group of primary headache disorders called trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias, and people with episodic cluster headache represent 85 to 90 percent of cluster headache sufferers, a disabling disorder with a prevalence of approximately 124 per 100,000 adults.1 Cluster headache is under-recognized and often misdiagnosed. Currently, there are no approved preventive medications for episodic cluster headache in the U.S.
"The pain associated with cluster headache can be agonizing and crippling, with deep searing, burning, and stabbing pain, leaving people feeling desperate for new preventive treatment options. On behalf of the patient community, we are grateful to Lilly for their commitment to researching and working with regulatory authorities to potentially deliver a preventive treatment option for those living with episodic cluster headache," said Bob Wold, a person living with cluster headache and the founder of Clusterbusters, Inc.
Emgality was approved by the FDA in September 2018 for the preventive treatment of migraine in adults. Migraine is a neurologic disease characterized by recurrent episodes of severe headache.2,3 More than 30 million American adults suffer from migraine.4,5,6 Lilly is recruiting for Phase 3 studies evaluating Emgality for the prevention of migraine in children and adolescents (ages six to 17).7
Emgality represents the first of three investigational
treatments in development as part of Lilly's overall pain portfolio. The portfolio also includes lasmiditan for the acute treatment of migraine in adults and tanezumab, developed in partnership with Pfizer, which is being investigated for the treatment of osteoarthritis pain, chronic low back pain and cancer pain in adults.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Emgality! A new CH prevenative.
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 11:19pm

Good one,  Hoppy.  Any idea what class of drugs it belongs to or how it might be working to help us CHeads?

It's always great to hear of new possibilities and let's see this one given every chance of success.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 12:17am

Galcanezumab is another of the CGRP antibodies - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

There have been two "similar" CGRP medications launched over the last year or two.

Whilst having another is a benefit, these drugs are not cheap which will restrict their availability.

IP Logged

gore2424
CH.com Alumnus

What the hamsalad was
that ?¿?

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:20am

Hi I am a chronic sufferer of 20 years. My neurology Dr. always is thinking outside the box. Gave me free samples of Emgality to try. In office I took two. They are 120mg/ml single dose injections prefilled pens. You only have to take them once a month. Next month had me take 3. And also next two months take 3 again. The only relief was it put me to sleep for days after injections I will take that as a win tho.
Each package of two come with a savings card for up to 12 free months of Emgality. I really hope this will help anyone with any type of cluster headache and any type of migraine too. Terry

I said your hair looks nice Ü

IP Logged

Kim Dismuke
CH.com Newbie

Oklahoma City
Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 12:24pm

Galcanezumab is a monoclonal antibody..... my daughter takes a mab for her ms.
I wouldn't suggest it for CH..... maybe more for migrainers... but CH is a different beast.
Stick with Batchs D3..... or go hard living like me and take tons of steroids and trex.

Kim

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2019 at 1:27am

Brian wrote, Good one,  Hoppy.  Any idea what class of drugs it belongs to or how it might be working to help us CHeads?

It's always great to hear of new possibilities and let's see this one given every chance of success.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2019 at 1:40am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 7:59am

I usually go for a Prednisone taper and DHE nasal spray to get some relief on a particularly hard cycle, which this one is - but Prednisone at high doses really does a number on me in so many ways I thought I'd try something new.

I started Emgality 8/15. I was having 5-6 headaches a day for weeks.

The night I took it I got more headaches in an evening (3) than I usually do. I thought I had made a huge mistake.

Between 8/15 and today, I've only had one 5 headache day, all the other days I've had none, 1 or 2.

The Emaglity definitely reduced the number of attacks I'm getting.

Zero side effects that I notice, but as others have said, it hasn't been out there long, there could be some I'm not aware of.

I was on Batch's regimen (he's amazing), and I believe it helped break my last cycle and keep me PF for a while. I maintained my D3 levels, but the beast came back.

In the meantime, my months long dose of 480mg Verapamil may need to be increased, but I have too low a pulse at higher doses so we'll have to see.

I will continue to try Emgality for 3 months and see if it continues to reduce attacks/cycle ends.

If nothing else, it cuts down on how much imitrex I use and I won't run out between refills.

If anyone wants more info on my experience with Emgality, just shoot me a message.

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2019 at 10:25am by Joshua »  

IP Logged

Jeffire
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2019 at 3:16pm

I have both CCH and hemicrania continua. I started Emgality 3 months ago and couldn't be more pleased with the results for the HC. Even with the indomethacin, I had a background headache with a few spikes everyday. A much lower level than without it, but still there. It was death-by-a-thousand-cuts.

After the Emgality there's zero background pain! Seven years of suffering and being insufferable are, for the moment, done. God bless my patient wife!

We'll see how it works this fall on the CCH.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2019 at 3:29pm

Jeffire,

Great that you are benefiting.

From my research, I understand that it is quite successful for episodic, but not chronic.

As a fellow CCH sufferer, I will be very interested to see how you get on.

Keep us posted.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2019 at 3:52am

hi Jeffire

Great to see you're getting a benefit from it. Hope it also helps with the CH too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!