Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Substance abuse linked to CH (Read 2104 times)
Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Substance abuse linked to CH
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:03am

My Google alert for new CH results often gives interesting results - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Which is reporting on - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
Results
From 2016 to 2018, 6 males and 1 female aged between 26 and 54 years old, presenting CH criteria and a substance use disorder, were included in our case series. Among substances used, there are: (1) daily use of tobacco and alcohol in 5/7 subjects; (2) daily or almost daily use of cocaine in 5/7 subjects; (3) regular use of cannabis before attacks beginning in 4/7 subjects; and (4) opioids, as a substitutive medication or abused, in 5/7 subjects. The intranasal route administration is reported by all the subjects and precedes the beginning of attacks for 5/7 subjects.

The tobacco and alcohol use doesn't surprise me as there have been multiple research journal articles linking these to CH, however the use of cocaine, cannabis and opiates surprised me until I wondered if they are looking at people who have no "normal" CH treatment and they are self medicating.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: Substance abuse linked to CH
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2019 at 5:07am

Mike,

Thanks for this.

I would say that 7 people, who are presenting with various types of substance abuse, who also have CH, is not a very reliable sample to be extrapolating results from.

Having said that, the connection to smoking may have merit. The other substances seem less likely.

Thanks again.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2019 at 3:23am

Another article that Google found linked to this - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
nd-migraines/4533/

Quote:
According to the authors of a series of cases, repeated intranasal use may be associated with cluster headaches due to the damage associated with lesions of the Orofacial region.

I'm not sure if the result of this can be classified as a primary headache, which would make their "CH" not be "CH".

IP Logged

zanychef
CH.com Junior

i'm busting with a masx
cant really go wrong
can i

x1|worthing|England|europe|172|244|
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 3:44pm

This is an interesting one ....I've used/abused all of the above over the years but in particular to my cannabis intake,during my worst years of being chronic my cannabis intake stayed fairly level i knew that having that one extra smoke could have consequences (possibly due to rapid vaso dilation idk.) but that even if i did i was in a better 'place' (for want of a better expression) to deal with individual attacks i was calmer at least Smiley Alcohol is a funny one too it was years (20 at least) until reading on here about its trigger effects that i got the connection and cut back on my consumption or abstained the others mentioned i tried first recreationally and then much later to combat cch finally sticking to busting with good success now Smiley
hope this helps

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too bad:)
Ian Howard  
IP Logged

Graemel
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Taupo NZ
Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 6:48am

Yes I agree with Peter. The statistics need to be robust. Often these stats are slanted.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 10:41am

Chicken and egg.  Perhaps whatever causes CH also causes one to have an addictive personality.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!