Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anti-CRGP approved for episodic CH (Read 1771 times)
Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Anti-CRGP approved for episodic CH
Jun 6th, 2019 at 2:58am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Worth reading through the full article to get all the info.

Quote:
Results showed that the Emgality group saw a significant difference in their weekly attacks compared with placebo.

Between Weeks 1 and 3 of the two-month treatment period, those receiving Emgality had 8.7 fewer cluster headache days vs. 5.2 fewer days for placebo; (p=0.36).

Three out of four participants (76%) who were treated with Emgality had at least a 50% reduction in weekly cluster headache attacks compared to 57% for the placebo at Week 3, the secondary endpoint.

Also, 73% of patients treated with Emgality reported improvements based on the Patient Global Impression of Improvement (PGI-I) at Week 4, compared to 46% for the placebo.

Interesting results when you compare the effects to the placebo, with placebo doing pretty well when you consider that there is no active pharmaceutical, with all changes being due to the power of the mind.

Every single advance will help some people with CH get to lead more normal lives as a result.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Anti-CRGP approved for episodic CH
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 4:59am

Give me a bucket full of that placebo!!!

With a success rate of  46-57%  it beats the pants off any medication I ever tried!

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 8:36pm

AussieBrian wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 4:59am:
Give me a bucket full of that placebo!!!

With a success rate of  46-57%  it beats the pants off any medication I ever tried!

It isn't always that simple. Placebo treatments are associated with side effects, even withdrawal effects!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

AGeNT_1212
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NY
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:49pm

Whats strange about this approval is the testing period appears to have been for 2 months, and episodic clusters lasting for 2-10 weeks average...

So in some of these sufferers their cycles likely were degrading naturally, and were taken as the result of the drug

This could be why it 'works' for episodics and not chronics.

I think in some cases even with other treatments that 'seem' to work, its actually the cycle degrading naturally.  Shocked

Just a thought.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 7:03pm

Hi AGeNT_1212 and welcome

Well spotted too. We all know how a lot about CH can vary, which can include cycle duration, so I can see your logic as to why it "works" for episodic but not chronic CH.

IP Logged

AGeNT_1212
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NY
Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 1:13pm

Its probably why the placebo was also 'effective'

Thanks for the welcome, I'm actually quite ye ole vet on the message boards, here and CB.  Cool

O2 FTW  Grin

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 2:45am

AGeNT_1212 wrote on Jun 12th, 2019 at 1:13pm:
Its probably why the placebo was also 'effective'

Placebos are virtually always effective for some people, this is not unique to the experiment design or the condition being treated. Similarly people getting a placebo will often get a range of side effects which are attributed to the placebo.

It can be incredibly interesting reading up about the placebo effect and the complexities it can introduce to good trial design and results analysis.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!