Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running (Read 2029 times)
sabine
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Running
Jun 8th, 2019 at 10:06am

Hi all,

I started running a couple of years ago, however when I'm in a cluster period, even a short easy 3km ALWAYS sets off an attack about 3-5 minutes after I finish my run.

Is there something I can take/do to prevent this from happening? Not being able to run is making me miserable but it's not worth it for the pain of the attack after.

I'm currently taking a 5 day course of prednisone and sumatriptan injection for the attacks.

I have a race tomorrow - would it be safe to take a sumatripan 100mg pill before the run? Might that prevent an attack?

Any advice much appreciated!

ps. any other tips for exercise while in a bout or is the only way to stop exercising altogether?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Running
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 6:39pm

Different people react differently with some finding that a run can kill off a CH and others where it kicks them off, similarly some use a really hot shower and others a cold one.

Some people do use sumatriptan pills as a short term preventive, however they are not designed to be used that way. As to you using one for when out running to avoid a CH, well that would need medical advice (we're not doctors).

IP Logged

sabine
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 1:05pm

thanks so much, seems like when I'm in a cycle, it's just a hard no to running. Always sets off an attack, and it's just not worth it Sad

IP Logged

Jeffire
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 9:49am

For me, overheating is a sure trigger. If I have to do something strenuous, I take an ice cold shower immediately afterwards. I don't come out until I'm shivering. Thank god I have well-water.

Unfortunately, this isn't always effective. There's a point where there's been too much heat and I'm stuck with a HA, regardless.

If heat is a trigger, have you thought about swimming as a form of exercise when you're in cycle?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 5:29am

Jeffire wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 9:49am:
If heat is a trigger, have you thought about swimming as a form of exercise when you're in cycle?

Or a treadmill in a room with air con turned down cold?

IP Logged

sabine
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 10:50am

Thanks for the suggestions, can't do indoor swimming pools at gyms etc - the smell/heat alone sets me off.. and I'm too much of a wuss to swim outdoors in winter  Cheesy

Re running in airconditioned room - I could try that. I think as soon as my core temp goes up a bit it sets off an attack.

As an experiment, I had an ice cold shower during my attack a few nights ago and it definitely helped! Does this help anyone else?

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 6:28pm

Sabine,  I can promise many people get some relief from icy-cold showers, air conditioners and sticking their heads in the snow.

Ice-packs are all the go around here with the favourite being a packet of frozen peas.

Glad you've found something that helps and have you heard about Red Bull-type energy drinks?  The ones with caffeine and taurine guzzled down at the first hint of a hit are also known to help.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 12:44pm

Reaction to heat and cold is more complected for some of us. For me, extreme cold is as much a trigger as extreme heat. During attacks, an ice pack over the back of my head helps a little, but in many cases a hot compress on the right side of my face helps more.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 6:26pm

When I was an avid runner I would have a cluster headache after running very frequently. Best thing I would recommend is getting on the Oxygen right after your run is over.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!