Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wellbutrin (Read 1361 times)
sabine
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Wellbutrin
Jun 8th, 2019 at 10:29am

Hi, one more thing...

I was in remission for 5 (BLISSFUL) years and I was wondering if me being on Wellbutrin XL 300 during those years is the reason. I recently weaned myself off them and although mentally fine, the clusters are BACK. I'm wondering if, without me realising it, they were helping control the CH?

Has anyone had a similar experience or any experience with antidepressants for CH?

I'm considering going back on the Wellbutrin just for the CH control...

Thanks!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Wellbutrin
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 6:36pm

Possibly they may have since other antidepressants can work as a preventive for CH with amitriptyline being one that is used, however I couldn't find any research on PubMed showing that research had been published using Bupropion (Wellbutrin is a brand name).

Or it could just have been that you just didn't get a CH cycle for 5 years or something else worked as an effective preventive.

Have you tried using vitamin D3 as a preventive? It can be highly effective for many with some going CH free for multiple years (including myself). You can find out more at - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Since your CH is back, have you got any effective abortives to kill off CHs quick? Something like oxygen, imitrex or similar?

IP Logged

sabine
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 1:09pm

Thank you for the info. I had a short bout back in 2017 while on the Wellbutrin still, but I have a feeling I may have tried to lower my dose at that time.

I'm considering going back on the Wellbutrin - even if there's just a small chance that it contributed to the remission period.

I haven't tried oxygen, the only thing that helps abort an attack are sumatriptan injections. The problem is they knock me out for a whole day - very drowsy etc. The pills don't help at all.

I was on D3, but stopped - will restart that again as well, thank you

IP Logged

Graemel
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Taupo NZ
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:54am

Well butrin is called Zyban in NZ. It is an anti depressant but also helps people stop smoking! I am using it currently. It may have some small effect on CH but I have not found much when researching. Hope your CH is much better by now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!