Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Side effects from D3 regimen (Read 2053 times)
Sheila Watson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Side effects from D3 regimen
Aug 11th, 2019 at 5:00pm

I have been on the D3 regimen for 11 days.  For the last three days my CH have been limited to one per day.  I do have a strong shadow most of the time. This is a significant improvement.  My D level was 47.

However, I have been very nauseous.  I have acid reflux and take ranitidine.  I take half the vitamins at breakfast and half at dinner. I am 5'2 and 124 lbs. I am an active 80 yr old (or I was until this cycle). I have been in this cycle for over 3 months.  I got advice from the Facebook pg. and did not take fish oil last night. I took only one magnesium this morning. Advice anyone? I am less nauseous after not taking fish oil last night and cutting down on magnesium, but I am still not feeling well.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Side effects from D3 regimen
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 6:12pm

Hi and welcome Sheila

Have you got the full D3 info - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I'd take all the vitamins with your main meal of the day, ideally one which includes some fats since D3 is fat soluble (apart from possibly the magnesium - see below).

Quote:
Adverse Side Effects.
The anti-inflammatory regimen is generally well tolerated, but some minor side
effects do occur. These are usually associated with GI tract discomfort from the Omega-3 Fish Oil
and/or osmotic diarrhea from the magnesium. Taking magnesium chloride, magnesium malate,
magnesium glycinate or magnesium oxide can lower the incidence of osmotic diarrhea and improve
magnesium bioavailability. Taking half the daily magnesium with breakfast and the other half with the
evening meal also helps prevent osmotic diarrhea.

What type of magnesium is it? Magnesium chloride, magnesium malate, magnesium glycinate or magnesium citrate? If there is a mixture, how much of each?

Are you using the full set of supplements?

Do you have any CH abortives, like oxygen, sumatriptan (imitrex) injections / nasal spray or similar?

IP Logged

Sheila Watson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 7:41pm

I am taking the full regimen.  I have magnesium glycinate. Thanks for responding.  Not sure what to do.I think the regimen helped, but I feel terrible. I am not going to take the fish oil for a while since I several people said they had problems with that.

IP Logged

Sheila Watson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 7:43pm

I forgot to mention, I am not taking any medication. I have plenty of oxygen at high flow and the mask for cluster headaches. I am fortunate my insurance provides my oxygen.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 9:12pm

From Batch's doc:
Quote:
Taking magnesium chloride, magnesium malate, magnesium glycinate or magnesium oxide can lower the incidence of osmotic diarrhea

However I found the thread below where someone found magnesium glycinate to be the one that - "...really hurts my stomach.":

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It might be worth trying a different form of magnesium to rule this out or just stopping it for a few days to see if it changes things. You could try this approach for each component to see if you can isolate out which one is causing the issue.

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 10:54pm

Hi Sheila,
It’s good to hear you’re getting positive results from the vitamin D regimen. But the nausea sounds dreadful. You and I share a couple of similarities, including the use of ranitidine for GERD and the choice of magnesium glycinate. I have fortunately tolerated the fish oil and magnesium pretty well. I agree with Mike regarding changing or eliminating for a short period of time. But if you can stand it, change just one thing at a time, so you will know for sure which is the culprit. You could try to get added omega 3’s in your food while reducing the oil—salmon, etc. I’m just guessing here, but the timing of the ranitidine dose(s) may affect the absorption of the magnesium and fish oil. That’s why I chose the magnesium glycinate, since it is bonded to a protein, and supposedly more digestible. I hope you can fix the nausea problem by tinkering with and personalizing the regimen. It has been a remarkable help to me. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Patti

IP Logged

Sheila Watson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 1:14pm

Thank you for the response.  Had three good nights and last night was bad - 3 attacks and used oxygen.  Only 1 1/2 wks on the regimen.  I eliminated the fish oil and took 100 mag at breakfast and 100 at dinner. So far no nausea.  Also am now taking the ranitidine a few hours before the vitamins.
May do an occipital nerve block this week.  Everything makes me nervous.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 2:20pm

Hey Shella,

Thanks for the back-brief on your experience with the anti-inflammatory regimen.  Sorry you're having a rough time with nausea.  This regimen is normally well tolerated with no adverse problems like you're experiencing. 

Switching magnesium brands could very well help eliminate your nausea problems.  I've found the Nature Made High Potency 400 mg magnesium liquid softgels to be very effective in maintaining the needed level of magnesium required to hydroxylate vitamin D3 to its genetically active metabolite, 1,25(OH)2D3.

The following photo illustrates what I take.  I switched to the Bio-Tech D3-50 50,000 IU water soluble form of vitamin D3 seven months ago.  I've found it to be faster acting with a higher bioequivalence than the oil-based liquid softgel vitamin D3 formulations. I've taken the rest of these supplements since 2011 and I've never had any problems with nausea... but then I've a cast iron gut so I may not be your best example.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Using the process of elimination is the best method of identifying the culprit supplement responsible for your nausea.  Accordingly, as suggested earlier, I would also stop taking the magnesium glycinate for a few days to see what happens.  If the nausea clears, switch brands to the Nature Made brand asap to see what happens.  If there are no further problems with nausea, remember to add back the Omega-3 fish oil.  It's an important conutrient in this regimen.

Take care and please keep us posted.  Solving problems like this helps future CHers avoid them.  That's the beauty and value of a website like this.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2019 at 9:06am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Sheila Watson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 8:12pm

BTW it's Sheila not Stella.Thanks for the reply.  I eliminated the fish oil and the nausea stopped.  I have magnesium pills that are 100 mg so I took one in the morning and one at night. I added one more the next night and still no nausea.  I will add another to equal 400 tonite.  The fish oil I have is the one that is not supposed to upset your stomach.  When I am feeling brave next week, I will try the fish oil again.  I will keep you posted.
I so appreciate this site and the Facebook page. I have a wonderful neurologist, but I learn much more from my fellow cluster sufferers from all over the world.  Especially appreciate the work you have done.
Sheila

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 8:42am

Shella,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear you found the culprit responsible for your nausea. Sorry about the typo with your name... That's what I get responding to posts without my cheaters.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!