Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How long stay on O2 after attack subsides (Read 976 times)
Menachem Kashanian
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

How long stay on O2 after attack subsides
Aug 29th, 2019 at 12:24pm

The frequency of my attacks have recently been getting much worse. Oxygen is the only method I can use. Does anyone know how long I should be staying on the oxygen once my attack has been aborted to avoid rebound headaches? Last night I had 3 rebound headaches. Allowing the attack to take its natural course sans oxygen usually means I only have one attack for a day making me feel like oxygen is only a temp fix for an attack. Would love to hear thoughts and suggestions.

Note I am a new user of this site and have been getting cluster headaches for the past 3 years. It’s been getting much worse, but this site has given me hope Smiley

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Re: How long stay on O2 after attack subsides
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2019 at 12:54pm

When I used Oxygen I stayed on it an extra 10 minutes.

Mark.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2019 at 11:32pm

G'day,  welcome,  and oxygen worked wonders for me.  I found that if it took 15 minutes to kill a hit I'd stay on it 15 minutes afterwards.  20 minutes to work I'd stay on it another 20 and hang the expense. 

Anything less and I'd be begging for a rebound but this was only at 10lpm,  long before the discovery of 15-25lpm for far better results.

Even so,  people seem to agree the longer you stay on it the better.

Incidentally,  and in case you missed it,  there's a row of buttons down the left side of your screen and one of them is marked  oxygen info.  There's lots of good stuff in it along with the mask that's recommended by so many happy users and available right here through ch.com.

All the best and please let us know how you're getting on because we care,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 3:28pm

Hi Menachem and welcome

Menachem Kashanian wrote on Aug 29th, 2019 at 12:24pm:
Does anyone know how long I should be staying on the oxygen once my attack has been aborted to avoid rebound headaches?

The answer to that is that you need to experiment to find out what works best for you. We're all different and CH seems to work slightly differently for us all.

I found that using 25lpm, the CH would significantly ramp down after around 3-4 minutes and then be gone by about 5. I'd then stop using the oxygen.

So take notes as you try different times and what the effects are. Also note other factors that might play a part. Then see if you can spot some patterns.

The other thing is that you can't tell what is a rebound CH from a "normal" CH, so it is also possible that you'd have been getting the extra CHs no matter what you did.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Are you using any preventives to limit how many CHs you take? Tell us more and we may be able to suggest things to help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!